Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Question Road v Ccx frame?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi all!

I've been a Mtn Biker for yrs, and have recently moved to a decidedly urban cycling-centric city. I want to invest in a bike for town, longer rides (30-40mi), hopefully commuting with time. The trend here is to get a Ccx bike and set it up with (relative) slicks/fenders +/- racks since it's so rainy here in the winter. But, I wonder what the advantages of doing this over setting myself up with a true roadie are. I've test ridden several Ccx bikes, but don't want to make the plunge without knowing what the pros/cons are of each. Will the Ccx hold up that much better in the winter muck? And I must answer myself the "am I really going to ride that much in the winter when there's skiing to be done?" I do not plan to race Ccx. I also have recurrent low back/SI joint issues for several yrs, that are usually better with activity, not worse. Should that play into my decision on what type of bike to get? I've had no trouble on my test rides, though admittedly, short.

Your thoughts are appreciated!

Kitsune06 Guest
    You know, I'd go with the ccx bike. I moved up to PDX from Euge and have a mtn bike with relative slicks/fenders etc...

'winter muck' here tends to imply 'rain' ... and 'more rain'. All the same, I'm thinking a cyclocross bike would have a sturdier frame and be more adaptable on the whole for whatever you'd want to do to/with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tali View Post
    The trend here is to get a Ccx bike and set it up with (relative) slicks/fenders +/- racks since it's so rainy here in the winter. But, I wonder what the advantages of doing this over setting myself up with a true roadie are.
    A true roadie will most likely not have sufficient clearance to accept fenders and/or the fatter tires (which are more useful in foul weather) that will fit on a 'cross bike.

I have no concrete evidence to back this up but I would bet my lunch money that most people who buy 'cross bikes don't actually race 'cross and have no desire to. But a 'cross bike (depending on the model; some are more oriented to racing) is as close to a "do everything" bike as you're likely to get: with fat slick tires, fenders, and a maybe a rear rack, it makes a nice, relatively fast commuter. With fat knobby tires, you can take it on all but the most technical of off-road trails. With skinny slick tires, it's a decent road bike (though it certainly won't be the zippiest/fastest out there). Some models can even be used for light-duty touring.

I like cyclocross geometry. My Kona commutermobile and my Waterford are cyclocross geometry.

I ride 'em on the road. But sometimes we take detours.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Thanks everyone. It all makes sense, esp about the fenders on a roadie. hadn't thought of that. I'll probably go for more test rides today. It's so hard to decide! I really liked the Novara bike at REI: carbon fork and rear triangle. It was such a butter-smooth ride, but I will not buy from REI. Their customer service compared to a LBS is ridiculously poor. I liked the Burley steel bike w carbon fork, but not the weight. And liked the alum/carbon fork combo, but it was a bit jarring. Maybe w a carbon seat post also. AAHHH! So hard to decide!!!

I did it!

I bought a new bike!!!!!!! Yippeee!!!!!!!

I am the proud owner of a Jamis Nova 53cm bike Shimano 105 F & R deraileurs. I get to pick it up tomorrow when I go in for my fitting.

I haven't had a road bike since I got hit 18yrs ago. Took a lot of yrs off after that (fear + grad school), then back to mtn biking and now back on the road! Now I need a bright biker yellow jacket and I'll be all set! Can't wait!

Thanks again for your advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Tali View Post
    I bought a new bike!!!!!!! Yippeee!!!!!!!

I am the proud owner of a Jamis Nova 53cm bike Shimano 105 F & R deraileurs. I get to pick it up tomorrow when I go in for my fitting.
    Woo hoo! My second bike is a Jamis Nova, just purchased about 2 weeks ago. I'm really enjoying it so far; it still has the stock 32c knobby tires, and I've done some riding on the local dirt rail-trail, and some paved trails, too. Even with the low-pressure knobbies, it feels like I'm flying on the asphalt! So, poor bike, ALREADY I'm itching to put skinny slick tires on it and see what I can really do on the road!

Enjoy!

yeah, this is going to be saaaweeet! I picked it up today, and ended up bringing it back to the shop. Twice. The F deraileur is all funky (wouldn't shift to large ring), partly b/c it's a triple shifter with only a double chain ring, but even my bike mechanic/sales guy (who is super cool and thorough) agreed is all funky-majunky, so they were going to try a different F deraileur and get it dialed in. Hopefully I'll get it tomorrow. Bought fenders for it tonight, and will install promptly. It's raining as I type!

I took off the knobbies and put on some smoother road tires (but not bald ones). Talk about a great ride, while it lasted! I'm really going to like the steel bike! Such a spoiling luxury for my bod after my aluminum hardtail Mtn Bike! And, even in the brief riding I did today (RT from LBS-home, prob about 5mi), my back is feeling better! I think biking is going to help my chronic SI joint dysfunction and help get it back in place! What a bonus!

I do think I'm going to have to get some skinny slicks (current tires are 28's) and a bike computer. Hopefully I'll be able to get that after I start work in a couple weeks. Can't spend all my first paycheck before it gets here!
    Last edited by Tali; 10-04-2006 at 07:25 PM. Reason: grammar