Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Newbie questioning type of bike to purchase

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi all! I've been reading and lurking for awhile but am moving closer to my actual bike purchase and starting to ride. I test drove some rode bikes today and I felt very unstable, unsure of myself and wobbly. I was riding slow though (in circles in the parking lot), but dang I never realized how thin those tires are and how much balance and control you need!

I am wondering now if a hybrid might be the way to get started? Are they "easier" to ride due to the tires, more upright position, etc. OR maybe just a straight bar road bike?

Or is this just something I need to get used to?

Thanks!

I have a hybrid and love it for the purpose I bought it for: rides less than 30 miles and commuting with rack and panniers. It even goes fast enough that I was comfortable using it in a triathlon.

Try some hybrids, see how they feel. (mine is a Kona Dew, $400)

Everyone is different. Buy a bike that feels right, so you will ride right now and have fun!
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

What type of riding do you plan to do, southtxrider?

I think "hybrid" covers a lot of ground. I was think about that since today was the first day I could ride in 6 weeks due to an injury. It took a while to get my balance, but I was riding a Cannondale with 25MM tires. Try both the comforts as well as the flat bar roadies!

first bike

I purchased a Gary Fisher Nirvana for about $430.00. I just love it. I knew nothing about bikes when I bought it ,and the guy at the bike store picked it out for me. I now ride 30 miles at a time on it ,and I plan on doing a 40 mile ride Oct. 8th (with my new friend Darcy) who I met thru this wonderful site. Its a great beginner bike ,but I'm plan on getting a rode bike in March (TREK Pilot 2.1)...anyone have one of these????
    Question...how do you get pictures to show up....I cant seem to do color ,or picture?
    Suzie

type of riding

As far as what type of riding I will do, I really don't know I hope to do long distance 40+ mile trips regularly - roads, no off road - but no racing, just small group rides.

I guess the price tags of a "good" road bike is a little scary when I am such a new rider. I am wondering if spending less on a good hybrid (like the Kona mentioned above) might be a better starting point. I am not a risk taker by nature so even cycling is a bit scary to me (but I REALLY WANT to do it )

Someone told me the weight of the hybrids will make it hard, however the skinny tires and balancing on the road bikes are not comfortable to me - at least right now - but could that be just b/c I am new?

Not one LBS recommended a hybrid, despite me telling them I was new and a little timid. They all went straight for the road bikes

If I do go hybrid, does Academy or even Wal-mart carry some decent brands? I don't want junk.......

Thanks for all your help!!!!!

I was unsteady as all get out when I was trying out bikes. I think part of the reason was most of the bikes did not fit me. When I found the one that fit me, I felt comfortable on the bike. It was the difference between night and day.

I started out wanting a hybrid. I thought the larger tires would make it safer and I hate falling down. So safer is a good thing over here. I also wanted upright. I was worried to death about my back and thought upright would be the only way I'd be comfortable on a bike.

But the bike that fit me was a road bike. Completely took me by surprise. And I feel safe on it. And my back is really happy on it. It isn't an agressive road bike - it's the Pilot - but my back is fine when I'm on the hoods or drops or sitting upright on it.

So, keep testing bikes. Test hybrids, test road bikes. Eventually you'll get on one and riding will feel fun. Not scary. That's your bike - as long as the LBS says it fits - that's your bike.

I was in your position just a few weeks ago - my heart/riding plans said road bike, my common sense/budget said hybrid. I was worried that a) I'd buy a road bike, have a few weeks of "honeymoon", then quit or b) buy a hybrid, fall in love with cycling and want to upgrade immediately.

I went to three different LBSs and said much the same thing (a little less ambitious than your plan) - road only riding, beginner, no racing, mainly fitness riding of 10-15 miles per ride, with an occasional weekend ride of 20-30m, budget of $500-$600.

In the end, all three shops suggested a Specialized Sirrus, which according to them, is like a road bike with flat bars (I'm not expert so I take their word for it). I tried it out, but one LBS also suggested a low-end road bike on sale for $50 more than the Sirrus. I tried it and even though the road bike is really low end (it's a K2 Whirlwind and I know there's not a lot of love for the brand on this site), it felt "right" in the way the Sirrus and other hybrid bikes didn't. I knew immediately that this cheap little road bike would make me happier than the nicest of hybrids.

And that's the key, Baskingshark--you have to ride some different bikes, and the one you buy has to feel good to you, regardless of what the LBS folks say. Which is not to say that they don't often provide some useful guidance, but in the end it's all a matter of how you feel on the machine on the road.

Having said that, I thought I'd post a quote from Bicycling's Interbike blog:

Raleigh and DB have entered the women’s bike field with a confidence-inspiring flat-bar road bike (DB Kalos, $550) and a selection of road bikes: the DB Zelos, $655, and the Raleigh Intrigue 1.0 ($655) and 2.0 ($980), all available in
    November.

That flat-bar road bike sounds like it might be a player, if you've got a Raleigh dealer nearby.
    Bad JuJu: Team TE Bianchista
    "The road to hell is paved with works-in-progress." -Roth
    Read my blog: Works in Progress

My experience for what it's worth

Like you, I thought going with a hybrid was the best way to start. I ended up getting a Trek FX--which is essentially a hybrid between a hybrid and a road bike. It's lighter than most hybrids, doesn't have any suspension and came with skinnier, "slick" tires. I eventually swapped out the tires it came with for even skinnier, 25c, tires. I enjoyed the bike from the start. I immediately felt pretty confident on it and liked that I could easily see where I was headed, etc.

I almost immediately, however, wanted a road bike. The hybrid was great, but I found it hard to ride for more than 30 miles at a stretch. I couldn't move my hands around so my wrists and hands often got sore. I also couldn't get more aero in the wind, which made me more easily fatigued. That and I had bike lust! I was jealous of all the roadies I saw on my rides. Put simply, they just looked cool.

I bought the hybrid on Memorial Day weekend. By early July, I ordered a road bike--a Bianchi Eros Donna--and took delivery of it several weeks later. Sadly, I haven't ridden the hybrid since, nor have I had any real desire to. It's not that it's a bad bike. I just love my Bianchi that much more.

I can't say for sure whether I made a mistake buying the hybrid. After all, it helped me discover that I love to ride. I may have been more uncomfortable from the start if I'd gone straight to a road bike. My biggest regret is that I spent too much on the Trek. I originally wanted the FX 7.3, which if I remember correctly, cost about $430. However, the LBS didn't have "my size" (which itself is another story) and I ended up with the FX 7.5 that cost over $600. That's a lot of money to spend on something that I don't ride anymore. I've thought about selling it, but I keep thinking it won't hurt to have a backup bike.

My ultimate advice is that if you think there's any chance you'll want a road bike in the next year or two, buy a less expensive hybrid. Otherwise, just go straight to a roadie. It won't take you long to get comfortable on it. Admittedly, the skinny tires don't handle rocks and potholes like a hybrid's fatter tires, but you quickly learn to deal with it. As the 2007 bikes come in, you'll probably be able to negotiate a decent deal on a 2006 model. My other advice is that if decide to buy a road bike, make sure you find an LBS that takes fit really seriously, even if you're buying an "entry" level bike. Don't buy from one that merely has you stand over the bike.

Good luck with your decision.

Kate
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by southtxrider View Post
    As far as what type of riding I will do, I really don't know I hope to do long distance 40+ mile trips regularly
    Southtxrider, I'm going to put a virtual $5 bill on the virtual table right here. If at this same time next year, you haven't bought yourself a road bike, well, you can put that virtual $5 bill in your virtual pocket.

A few random thoughts:

* If it's possible, do your test rides somewhere other than a small parking lot. All bikes will feel somewhat unstable when you're going in slow, tight circles.

* The price differential between road and hybrid bikes isn't necessarily huge -- you can buy an entry-level road bike for $600-$700.

* Certainly there's nothing wrong with getting a hybrid, and if I do win my bet next year, then the hybrid can become your spare "beater" or trail bike if you don't want to sell it.

* Don't buy your bike at WalMart. The cheap prices may seem attractive, but the more inexperienced and uncertain a cyclist is, the more she needs the skills of a real bike shop -- of people who can recommend appropriate bikes and set-ups, who can properly fit you to the bike, who can reliably assemble the bike, and to whom you can return if you have any problems. (A lot of bike shops will offer free or reduced maintenance services on bikes you purchase from them.)

Have fun!!

thank you!

Some awesome tips!! I definitely won't go to Walmart or Academy - you all are right - they won't "fit" me with the bike the right way - didn't really think about that

If I bought a roadie, I am sure it won't take long (the LBS guys said 5 rides and I'm good) and I'll be comfy on it, but the timid first timer in me is trying to take the "easy" way - baby steps! But it's a lot of money for something to "practice" on.....FWIW, the LBS guy said the one I was trying was too big for me anyway (the size I need they dont have, but one of their employees does and she is bringing it up for me to tomorrow to try)

Anyway, if I do decide to do a hybrid first, I will go lower end. But I will definitely try more styles/types, etc before I buy ANYTHING. I am anxious to start but don't want to make a hasty decision.

I couldn't take that $5 virtual bet b/c I am pretty sure you will win!!! LOL

Thanks for all the encouragement and advice