Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Cars are evil!

Cars are evil!

To disable ads, please log-in.

They don't even have to hit you to hurt you.

I messed my knee up getting into and out of our car. I really messed it up - as in it hurt so badly I was unable to sleep. The blahblah (interior?) bursa is injured.

Anyway, today, I did the cortisone injection thing (DH's comment: "There goes your Olympic career" ). Now I'm sitting here in a knee brace feeling sorry for myself.

My doc enthusiasticly approved more bike riding, as it keeps the knee strong (though obviously not strong enough!) and is a non-weight-bearing activity (I have a cool doc.), so I gave it a try tonight. 3 miles, abysmal average speed, more or less constant, um, awareness of the knee, heart and lungs wondering if I'd forgotten them, but I was out there, doing my thing.

So here's the question: I really noticed the knee when clicking out on that side. I'm worried that the heeling out action will make things worse - or at least delay healing. Am I being a silly? Twisting was, after all, what got me into trouble in the first place.

If it really is a problem, what's the solution?

I can't get started (for the nonce) with that pedal, so not clipping out is a non-solution. I'd just as soon ride...

In the meantime, are there good tips for healing a blahblah bursa? Any excercises/stretches to keep this from happening again? Any good web sites?

I'll take sympathy, too.
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

Not sure how exactly you twisted your knee from getting in and out of a car, but didn't you get a chance to see a physiotherapist over the knee??
    Muahahahahaha! I know Kung Fu.

HUUGGGERRRSSSSS MOM!!!!

You might call the doc and ask him - sounds like he is a neat guy and it's awesome he was so supportive of your cycling - see what he thinks of the clipping/unclipping action

or: switch to platforms for the next few days until the knee feels better.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Awww, sorry to hear about your injury, Mom. Don't have anything helpful to say, other than get well soon!
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

2010 Kelson custom/Brooks B17 Imperial
    2009 Masi/Terry Damselfly
    2004 Specialized Dulce Elite/Terry Damselfly
    2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara/unknown saddle
    1987 Bridgestone 100/Terry Liberator X

Mel - It's remarkably easy to twist a knee getting out of a car. Just have a DH who doesn't leave enough room in the garage to open the door completely and get out by putting all your (considerable, in my case) weight on your left leg and twist your way out of there. A small, low to the ground car is helpful (?) in this regard, too. Doc says this is a pretty common injury.

CMac: Doc, BTW is female and pretty neat, but I'm not convinced that she knows much biking. I didn't realize clicking out would be a problem until I tried it, anyway, considerably after I talked to her.

The knee feels much better today, last night I was feeling pretty sorry for myself, so I whined.

I went 15 miles this evening, slowly, avoiding all hills, and, um, treating Stop signs as Slow-Down-and-Look-Carefully signs so I didn't have to put a foot down as often. I seem to have modified my clipping out action so it doesn't hurt as much, too. Don't ask me how... I'm not sure I can tell you.

DH & I rode to dinner. I swooped in on my recumbent, hobbled into the restaurant, ate, hobbled out, and swooped off again on my bike. I'm sure there's at least a cartoon in there somewhere.

So I think I'm healing. Scary shots and ugly braces do work miracles. If I can just not stand and walk I'll be fine.

Thanks to all for the good wishes. I'm still looking for good all-around knee strengthening excercises, though.
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

Glad your knee is better Mom... Hope you recover well
    Muahahahahaha! I know Kung Fu.