Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Spynga?

Spynga?

To disable ads, please log-in.

We've got a place that's doing this just down the street. I'm thinking of giving it a shot.

Anyone try this?
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I'd be curious about the quality of the instructors, especially on the yoga half of the equation. My gut tells me that Spynga is a fad that has attracted some less than well-trained teachers who sacrifice proper form for "a good workout." Of course, the same holds true for the spinning side of the equation. There are a lot of bad instructors out there.

But that's just my gut. I'm willing to keep an open mind about it.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

What is it?

I saw one class description where you spend half of a 75-class spinning and then spend the rest of the time doing a rigourous series of yoga poses.

Meh. I'd rather just do one or the other.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

http://www.blogto.com/fitness/spynga-toronto

When I googled just now this was one description (link above)... just as posted... kinda a half spin, half yoga class.

I have not done it myself. I'm certified through M.D.A. & teach Spinning at a couple gyms... also have my Pilates cert thru N.E.T.A.

One of my gyms has an abs and spin combo class. Basically you ride for 45mins, and 15mins off the bike for abs. Another gym in the area does offer a Spin & Sculpt class... spin for your cardio and weight lifting off the bike.

Sometimes members will do classes back to back on the schedule to get both cardio and weights in if offered that way.

The thing that I would be leary of is IF anything other than riding-cycling is performed while ON the bike. I can't remember what it's even called atm, but there is some crazy class where you attempt strength training seated on the bike... and maybe still pedaling. That's an injury and liability law suit waiting to happen imho.

Many gyms will have a free trial class to check it out, before you commit your money.
    Last edited by Miranda; 10-10-2010 at 03:33 PM.