Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by alpinerabbit View Post
    I ride a 50/34 12-27 combo and I conquer major passes in the swiss alps. No problem. go for it.
    That doesn't mean it's right for her. People really are individuals. You're young and very fit.

I ride a compact double 46/33, with an 11 - 34 in the back. While I have the strength to stay in the 46 on a 5% grade, if I do, my knees start screaming at me after about a mile. I'm slightly older and very fit. I think my knees are few decades older than the rest of me.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

I have a triple & a compact double bike - and a lot of times I just like the compact double more because there's less gears to worry about and I really do a better job of spinning & getting into the right gear on the bike.

There's very seldom times when I'm wishing I had more gears, but I do have a spare set of wheels with a bigger cassette on the back for when I know I'm really going somewhere hilly (as in, I haven't really used it yet)

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    That doesn't mean it's right for her. People really are individuals. You're young and very fit.

I ride a compact double 46/33, with an 11 - 34 in the back. While I have the strength to stay in the 46 on a 5% grade, if I do, my knees start screaming at me after about a mile. I'm slightly older and very fit. I think my knees are few decades older than the rest of me.
    I hear you - But...

...there really is no big difference to a triple, IM(ns)HO, which I have also ridden. And I wasn't fit when I started cycling... and I wouldn't even try to climb in the big ring... ever....
    (hope I don't offend anyone if I say she does live in Texas, and I live in the Alps ... )
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

I'll say it another way:

On your current bike, do you ever find that you just can't find the right gear? You're either pedaling too fast or too slow? Then a triple is for you, because a compact will potentially give you that problem in almost every gear, where a triple will do it in only maybe one or two.

If not, you're probably fine with a compact.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    I'll say it another way:

On your current bike, do you ever find that you just can't find the right gear? You're either pedaling too fast or too slow? Then a triple is for you, because a compact will potentially give you that problem in almost every gear, where a triple will do it in only maybe one or two.

If not, you're probably fine with a compact.
    I run a compact (50/34) with a 11-25 cassette in the back... and I can't say that I ever have a problem with feeling that I can't find the right gear. I don't have a problem with a 10 speed triple doing that at all either.

Now, I could see if I was running a compact double with an 11-37 or something on it that I'd have that issue with hunting for gears.

I run a 53/42/30 triple with an 8 speed mountain bike rear cassette on my surly and I quite often find that I can't find the right gear on that.

So that's your preference. And if the OP is the same way, then she should be fine with a compact. (But yes, obviously an 8-speed cassette will have wider gear spacing than a 10-speed of the same range, and that's as much a consideration as whether to have two or three up front.)

Myself, with my 50/39/30 x 11-25, I really really notice the absence of an 18-tooth cog on the cassette. The jump from 17 to 19 is just too large for me. If I went to a 50/34 x 11-34, I could have an even broader gear range, but I'd have jumps like that nearly every single gear. It would not work for MY knees or MY leg muscles.

At least with the 10-speed I have a 16; on my old 6-speed (52/42 x 12-21) it was awful having to jump from 15 to 17.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 05-29-2009 at 07:27 AM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    So that's your preference. And if the OP is the same way, then she should be fine with a compact. (But yes, obviously an 8-speed cassette will have wider gear spacing than a 10-speed of the same range, and that's as much a consideration as whether to have two or three up front.)

Myself, with my 50/39/30 x 11-25, I really really notice the absence of an 18-tooth cog on the cassette. The jump from 17 to 19 is just too large for me. If I went to a 50/34 x 11-34, I could have an even broader gear range, but I'd have jumps like that nearly every single gear. It would not work for MY knees or MY leg muscles.

At least with the 10-speed I have a 16; on my old 6-speed (52/42 x 12-21) it was awful having to jump from 15 to 17.
    It's my preference, but saying that she's going to have a problem hunting for a gear in almost every gear on a compact is not a true statement - it depends on what she's running on her rear cassette. Especially as we have no idea what the gears are on her current bike - I think she's got a hybrid from the tri thread she posted? So probably 3x8 in the back, so she is probably hunting for gears that work at times, but that's more related to an 8 speed in the back.

If you put an 12-23 rear cassette on your triple, you could get rid of not having an 18 tooth cog, and you probably wouldn't feel like you were hunting for a gear on a triple. A 12-23 would also probably fix a lot of that on a compact for you. Now that may not give you enough gears for hills, and it may not give her enough gears either. Not that I think you should get a compact at all, because you seem happy with your bike - but compact doubles are not as bad as you're making them out to be.

If you're having knee pain, you might want to look into your crank length if you haven't already - I switch my cranks to 165's which is much kinder on my knees.

Quote Originally Posted by Catriona View Post
    It's my preference, but saying that she's going to have a problem hunting for a gear in almost every gear on a compact is not a true statement - it depends on what she's running on her rear cassette. Especially as we have no idea what the gears are on her current bike - I think she's got a hybrid from the tri thread she posted? So probably 3x8 in the back, so she is probably hunting for gears that work at times, but that's more related to an 8 speed in the back.

If you put an 12-23 rear cassette on your triple, you could get rid of not having an 18 tooth cog, and you probably wouldn't feel like you were hunting for a gear on a triple. A 12-23 would also probably fix a lot of that on a compact for you. Now that may not give you enough gears for hills, and it may not give her enough gears either. Not that I think you should get a compact at all, because you seem happy with your bike - but compact doubles are not as bad as you're making them out to be.

If you're having knee pain, you might want to look into your crank length if you haven't already - I switch my cranks to 165's which is much kinder on my knees.

You are correct I have a cannondale F400 Hybrid. It has a triple in the front (mt bike kind from what i have been told) and a road bike cog but dont know about the #'s. I do have 27 gears. I really rarely go into the small chain ring at this point.

One of the people I road the 38 miles with last sunday suggested either
    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...=38454&eid=117

http://www.trekbikes.com/women/wsd_p...es/road/12wsd/

I am not sure I can go that high...at this point.

Tina

Quote Originally Posted by alpinerabbit View Post
    I hear you - But...

...there really is no big difference to a triple, IM(ns)HO, which I have also ridden. And I wasn't fit when I started cycling... and I wouldn't even try to climb in the big ring... ever....
    (hope I don't offend anyone if I say she does live in Texas, and I live in the Alps ... )
    Hills are different everywhere. The hills in Colorado are long, but rarely over 7% grade. In the North Georgia mountains, we get 9-10% grades, even sustained 13%. I had no problem climbing the Rockies on a double with a big (13-29) cassette, but for Georgia, prefer a compact. With a 13-29, I get the same gearing as a triple.
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

+1 on avoiding Sora - i think that is more important than whether it;s a triple or double-- try and find something with at least Tiagra shifters to allow you to upgrade components later on, imho, if you can find something.

batsheva

My only problem with the compact was missing the higher end gear. I was finding that I was gearing out on downhill sections. This was a big issue with me especially when trying to hang with the boys in group rides since I don't have near the weight they do to fly down those hills. Just something to consider. I currently have a triple with a 52/39/30 and it suits me perfectly for both flat and hilly rides (I am over forty and do not have young knees). I would take both for a really long test ride with varied terrain if possible before you make your decision. I think what it comes down to is what will work best for your riding style. Oh, and +1 on getting 105 or better components!

One simple way a lbs owner put it to me was, "...with a compact, you loose the highest gear on a standard double, and the lowest gear on a triple...".

My old ride, that I learned the hard way was way too big for me had a triple. 50/39/30+12-27cassette. My new ride has a compact 50/34+12-25cassette.

With the old bike, I only used the smallest front ring once for the triple. This last w/e I took my new roadie girl out to that "one hill" that forced me to use it. I kept her in the big ring, changed up the back some, and just powered straight up... slow, but I did it.

Having a bike that actually fits you well, is huge for one thing. Hope you can work out one that's the best that way for you.

One thing I had read about on here, that turned out to be a lovely surprise for me as well with the compact... having my knees closer together, vs w/the triple.

At first, it's sorta strange. My knee pain also went away. I feel much more powerful and efficient in my pedal stroke with my legs being closer together.

Based upon that, I'm thinking no more triples for me. If I switched, it would be to a standard 53/39 double.

Good Luck shopping!
    Last edited by Miranda; 05-29-2009 at 03:56 PM.

Well.... I didn't put anything on layaway today. I rented a trek 2.1 52cm (they didn't have the 54cm WSD). This one has two front chain rings instead of 3. (not sure of the 3's).

I didn't like the reach or the width of the handlebars. Oh and the seat was HORRIBLE!

I plan to make a ride in the morning with a group. I will put on a memory foam seat or I won't make it 20 miles tomorrow!

I think I am going to hold off and look for either a used WSD bike or buy a new one when I get my bonus in either august or sept.

Thanks for all the advise.

Tina