Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

I don't ride in my drops all the time either but when I'm on a downhill I do brake from my drops. Maybe it's because of my small hands but I have more braking power from the drops than the hoods.

Since I've been using my drops on downhills I've noticed the number of riders, men and women, who do not use their drops. One friend of mine says she feels insecure but I've found that I feel more in control and secure on downhills when I'm in my drops, even on short downhills.

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    Don't feel like you have to only ride on the hoods or in the drops. You can ride with your hands on the bar and you can get to your brakes in an emergency. Being able to change your hand position gives you options on a longer ride.

Here's my position when I'm in the drops. The GPS says 37 mph. This was our ride around Crater Lake, so I was more interested in the scenery than in going fast, hence no aero tuck.

V.

Veronica,

Your picture was so helpful! I tried to look for pics of pros in the drops too but could hardly find any! The best I found was bike fitting videos on youtube but they didn't really go over drops position either

You look like you have a LOT more room than I do in the drops....The funny thing is that I went in initially to have my stem SHORTENED because of back/neck pain (and I felt too stretched out onto my handlebars) but maybe it was the wrong adjustment... Hm, I'm a bit confused now. I wonder if my frame is the right size....

I'll definitely be nagging my bike shop about this now, come spring and road riding. My thighs hit my chest at the drop of a ... helmet (and believe me, it's not because of my voluptuous bosom ), either when I ride in the drops, or when I ride where most comfortable out at the very front of the hoods and tuck in to minimize drag. I sit like Veronica here when I have my hands on the hoods! I think I need to:
    a) lengthen my stem
    b) tilt it up
    c) check out shallower and maybe narrower handlebars, as I really have trouble reaching the brakes in the drops, and don't mind keeping my hands closer on the top.
    I have a lot of knee/elbow overlap, and it doesn't bother me. Maybe it would with narrower handlebars, though?
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Although I'm not in my drops here is a picture of me on my Serotta shortly after I got it. The picture is the last post in the thread. http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showt...t=19474&page=2

My other thought is that the width of your shoulders will determine where your arms and knees will align.

Flexibility issue?

I wonder if I'm just not as flexible as you are because I have a hard time bending over that far, especially since I"m not an aggressive rider.
    Ana
    2009 Lynskey R230
    Trek Mountain Track 850

Are you talking about my picture or Kathi's picture?

I don't think I'm bent over that far at all. My saddle and my handlebars are at about the same height, so that when I do go into the drops, I am not bent that far over.

I just did my yoga workout, so I know I can bend a lot further than that.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Ana -

The way you describe your body is exactly how I would describe mine (short but with a long torso, short legs, small hands (and I also have short arms). I'm 5'4" and I ride a 19" terry (48.5 cm)...so we are quite similar. My bars are the same width as yours, my cranks are the same length and my saddle and bars are at the same height as each other. My guess is that your stem is probably too short. When I had my bike professionally fitted (a 3+ hour procedure), she lengthened my stem and lowered it. I was concerned about comfort being less upright than I thought I should be, but with a little core strengthening, I was fine. (and I mean 'little'...it didn't take much!). What I got out of the deal was WAY more comfort on the bike overall. My back, neck, shoulders, elbows and hips felt better not only while I was riding, but better once I got off the bike even after a 6+ hour ride. I also greatly increased my power, so I *finally* was able to keep up with my fellow riders in the flats (where they always used to drop me). This was just a bonus, too...I was mostly being fit for increased comfort.

I basically only use my drops in a descent (in the picture in my avatar) or in a flat when I'm trying to hang on to the 'big boys'. Most of the time, I ride on the hoods. As you can see, I'm not all that bent over and my knees do not hit my elbows. If I were to crouch lower (trying to pick up speed, perhaps), my elbows do need to go to the outside of my knees...but it feels natural, not like I have to think about it or anything.

When you are on your bike (maybe on a trainer) have someone check to see (or use a mirror) if the angle between your upper arms and torso is about 45 degrees. If it's less, you are probably too upright for effecient pedaling and joint comfort given the geometry of your bike.

Disclaimer - I'm no fit expert...I'm just speaking from my own experience of being a shorty with a tough body to fit on a stock bike!
    Last edited by GLC1968; 03-24-2008 at 01:57 PM.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by GLC1968 View Post
    When you are on your bike (maybe on a trainer) have someone check to see (or use a mirror) if the angle between your upper arms and torso is about 45 degrees. If it's less, you are probably too upright for effecient pedaling and joint comfort given the geometry of your bike.
    FWIW -- at my recent fittings, I was told that they're looking for an arm/torso angle of about 90 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by liza View Post
    FWIW -- at my recent fittings, I was told that they're looking for an arm/torso angle of about 90 degrees.
    Yes, yes, yes...sorry! I meant 90 degrees...not 45. Oops!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

You all have great things to contribute! I might go back and have my stem put back a little longer...

I'm thinking maybe they shortened it TOO drastically :P My stock was an 85 and I think my LBS swapped it for a 60 mm.... Maybe something in between?
    Ana
    2009 Lynskey R230
    Trek Mountain Track 850

Quote Originally Posted by Ana View Post
    You all have great things to contribute! I might go back and have my stem put back a little longer...

I'm thinking maybe they shortened it TOO drastically :P My stock was an 85 and I think my LBS swapped it for a 60 mm.... Maybe something in between?
    Yes, and you might find that the more you ride, the more comfortable you feel stretched out just a bit and that the original 85mm stem is just fine. I rode a 2001 Terry Isis with a stock 65 mm stem and over time found that I wanted it longer, even though it felt right when I first got my bike. My next bike had the same top tube length as the Terry, but I was able to use a 90mm (80 mm effective since it slanted slightly) stem and was very comfortable with more "cockpit room".

You might want to try a 70-75 mm stem now instead of the 60 (stems that short can also lead to squirrely front-end handling anyway), but hang onto the 85 mm just in case.

Good luck!
    Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    FWIW, I've been riding for 20+ years and I rarely ride in the drops. I'm happy on the hoods or on the tops, and I know I can get to the brake levels quickly.

Your thought about flexibility is a good one, though. If you work on your flexibility and core strength, I bet your rides will be more comfortable, drops or no drops.

Stem swap to 70mm

So my compromised stem length of 70mm was a good choice I think most of my current fit issues will have to be ironed out by riding more and then discovering which fit issues persist.

I'm becoming more confident about my bike fit in the sense that the issues I'm having could have more to do with my conditioning rather than the geometry.

I've noticed a lot of weight on my hands and shoulders which may be relieved by conditioning We'll have to see Most of my riding has been deterred by the possibility of intense post-ride headaches, unfavorable weather and fatigue from my job

Thank you for all of your input!
    Ana
    2009 Lynskey R230
    Trek Mountain Track 850