Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    where the wind comes sweeping down the plain

To disable ads, please log-in.

Lisa, not that I'm asking you to endorse the product, but what brand of dry lube do you use? I use Purple Extreme right now and I like it, but I was looking to try a dry lube next time.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by Tri Girl View Post
    Lisa, not that I'm asking you to endorse the product, but what brand of dry lube do you use? I use Purple Extreme right now and I like it, but I was looking to try a dry lube next time.
    I've been using "Finish Line" Dry Teflon lube:

I'm sure other dry lubes are probably good too.
    Purple Extreme was a perfectly fine lube, but I did find that black road grit and gunk stuck all over my gears and chain way more than with the dry lube. (I always wipe my chain thoroughly after applying any kind of lube, by the way.)
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I do what BSG does for maint of chain and drive gear but use ProLink instead. Just drip a little on, run it into the chain, wipe off and go. Lasts and doesn't get gunked nearly as much or as fast. The prolink cleans it as it lubes it. I buy it at Performance when on sale. One bottle lasts a long time tho and we use it on all 4 bikes.

Good luck.
    Oh, that's gonna bruise...
    Only the suppressed word is dangerous. ~Ludwig Börne

Prolink here too. I drip a little on each roller, let it penetrate for ~10 minutes, and wipe off. I may repeat if the chain is particularly gunky or loud. I wipe my derailleur pulleys down and "floss" the cassette with a rag every so often, and that keeps the gunk down as well.

Another one I like is Dumonde Tech- very persistent, and not too gunky.

Quote Originally Posted by Ana View Post
    Don't you need a special degreaser to get rid of the waxy ingredients? Do dry lubes work in wet conditions?
    If you use a cleaning lube, you won't have to use a degreaser until you really want to detail your drivetrain. There are some slightly more gentle (safer for the components and frame and paint) degreasers that you can spray on and wipe off (look for ones you don't have to rinse). The only time I've needed this was after a really really disgusting ride on muddy and gravelly backroads after serious rain. This was after a good bath with the hose didn't work well enough. 99% of the time, a cleaning lube like RnR will help shed the gunk while it relubes.

Some dry lubes do not work well in wet conditions. You'd need a wetter or waxier one. RnR gold does ok in the wet, but they make a blue one for really sloppy stuff as well as a red one that is the driest. The silicon stuff in it isn't as waxy as, say, White Lightning, so you won't get as much buildup on the chain. But the thinner and drier the lube, the more often you'll need to re-lube.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalidurga View Post
    Velo-b, I've been curious about Purple Extreme and have considered giving it a try when I run out of my bottle of Rock'n'Roll. What else have you used that you'd compare it to?
    I found that it's cleaner, probably because you use less. Since I'm a distance rider, I need something w/a lot of staying power. Purple Extreme lives up to its promise of 400 miles per application (of course, could be a bit less if the weather is rainy).

I've used ProLink, which is fine; Pedro's Ice Wax (found it was a dirt magnet but I might not have been wiping it off the chain good enough); and Road Rage.