Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Chain maintenance products

To disable ads, please log-in.

When I bought my bike a few months ago, my LBS put together a small packet of things he felt I should think of buying along with the bike. The one thing I balked at was this once/week lubricant for my chain. It came in a very small container and was close to 20 bucks. I have to believe that an auto supply shop probably sells something that does the same job for a fraction of the price. Does anyone have any thoughts?

what kind was it?
    I've been using Boeshield, which comes in a four ounce bottle that costs around $10 (maybe a little less). A four ounce bottle of lube lasts a long time if you are lubing every 2-3 rides.

I wouldn't go to an auto supply store for bike lube. You'd likely get something that would gunk your chain up mightily.

My personal favorite is Rock'n'Roll Gold lube. It cleans and lubes in one step, only needs to be re-applied if the chain begins to squeak or gets obviously dusty/dirty, and I'm only a little over halfway through the 16oz ($23) bottle that I bought early last year (though you'd go through it faster if you ride more frequently than I do).

There've been a lot of conversations about bike lube and chain care here at TE, so I'm sure you'd find plenty of options with a quick search.
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

Liza,
    I'm afraid I can't remember the name of the product. But thanks to you both for the advice. It sounds like these products last a long time!!

Purple Extreme is my favorite chain lube. A little goes a long way.

I also use Rock n Roll Gold luber, it is $7.99 at my LBS. Before we started doing mountain biking a bottle would last 6+ months on our 2 road bikes and 2 commuter bikes. We don't have winter weather and only have about 60 rainy days a year so I don't deal with much muck on my road bike. Now that we mountain bike it is closer to a bottle a month.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    I used to use Purple Extreme and other good lubes.
    But then I tried some "dry" lube- silicon based (the silicon is suspended in a liquid that evavorates after applying). I noticed right away that a) my chain was quieter and felt smoother and b) my chain and gears stayed cleaner longer- they didn't have the oil anymore that made black road grime stick to them.
    I love the dry lube- lasts just as long and my drive chain stays cleaner and is easier to clean up when I wash my bike.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Another vote for Rock n Roll. Started using it a few weeks ago and it's the best and easiest one I've ever used.
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

I like Rock n' Roll too. I clean my drivetrain a lot, and when I've been riding in a lot of grit/sand/wet I'll use some Prolink to get it cleaner faster, because it's always on sale at Performance.

Quote Originally Posted by uforgot View Post
    Another vote for Rock n Roll. Started using it a few weeks ago and it's the best and easiest one I've ever used.
    Yup easy peasy! I am admittedly challenged at most things on the bike including cleaning the drivetrain and lubing it but I can use this stuff. Put on, wipe off. No skills required.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Quote Originally Posted by Velobambina View Post
    Purple Extreme is my favorite chain lube. A little goes a long way.
    Velo-b, I've been curious about Purple Extreme and have considered giving it a try when I run out of my bottle of Rock'n'Roll. What else have you used that you'd compare it to?
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

I've switched to the Pedro's soybean oil based lubes and I've been VERY happy with them. Most lubes are extremely toxic, so it was great to find non-toxic chain and component lube that actually work! There's "Go!" low-viscosity lube for dry conditions and "Chainj" for MTBs and wet conditions. Love 'em both.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by BleeckerSt_Girl View Post
    I used to use Purple Extreme and other good lubes.
    But then I tried some "dry" lube- silicon based (the silicon is suspended in a liquid that evavorates after applying). I noticed right away that a) my chain was quieter and felt smoother and b) my chain and gears stayed cleaner longer- they didn't have the oil anymore that made black road grime stick to them.
    I love the dry lube- lasts just as long and my drive chain stays cleaner and is easier to clean up when I wash my bike.
    I agree! I am a dry lube kind of girl.

Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    I agree! I am a dry lube kind of girl.
    Don't you need a special degreaser to get rid of the waxy ingredients? Do dry lubes work in wet conditions?
    Ana
    2009 Lynskey R230
    Trek Mountain Track 850

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana View Post
    Don't you need a special degreaser to get rid of the waxy ingredients? Do dry lubes work in wet conditions?
    Doesn't seem waxy to me. I don't notice any problems at all in the rain.
    I just put some on every few hundred miles, wipe the chain, and forget about it.
    Then typically about twice a year I thoroughly clean my drive chain and gears with citrus degreaser, then suds/wash the whole bike with SimpleGreen (diluted), rinse, re-lube and ready to go again.
    Last edited by BleeckerSt_Girl; 09-14-2008 at 10:34 AM.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^