Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikingmomof3 View Post
    Colby,
    Congrats on shaving time off.
    I look forward to hearing your report after your 1/2 marathon on Sunday. I know you will do fantastic! Which run are you dong after the 1/2?
    Thanks, B3. After my 1/2, I'm doing the Seattle Marathon, on November 26th... about 6 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by colby View Post
    Thanks, B3. After my 1/2, I'm doing the Seattle Marathon, on November 26th... about 6 weeks.
    Very cool! I am still just learning and getting my running technique down. I have yet to figure out how to find marathons and half marathons in my area (Southwest Ohio). Any suggestions? I really would like a full running schedule for next year.
    Jennifer

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
    -Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
    -Aristotle

Very cool! I am still just learning and getting my running technique down. I have yet to figure out how to find marathons and half marathons in my area (Southwest Ohio). Any suggestions? I really would like a full running schedule for next year.
    I don't know where Columbus and Youngstown are but they have events scheduled in 2007. Try this tool!
    http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/race...-0-0-0,00.html
    It's a great start.

BMo3, to find running events in your area, try active.com.

KB

Thank you Grog and KB! I will check both out. I am an hour from Columbus.
    Jennifer

-Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
    -Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by Grog View Post
    I don't know where Columbus and Youngstown are but they have events scheduled in 2007. Try this tool!
    http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/race...-0-0-0,00.html
    It's a great start.

Thank You! I have 346 to choose from. I am SO excited. Time to plan.
    Jennifer

-Mahatma Gandhi

-Aristotle

Hmm... Seattle marathon.. was debating if I wanted to do the Seattle 1/2 or not . :P Oh and just a general question, but when you run halfs and full marathons, how hard do you push? I keep thinking maybe I should push so I can try to get a faster time because I always go at a pace where I can keep talking... except for that stretch where you see the finish and full out sprint. :P Well at least I full out sprint.

I cheated here and picked an easy one -- I basically decided I wanted to do a marathon, then decided I wanted it to be a BIG marathon, and picked the closest one The other things I've done have just been by chance, so I'm really in the same boat as you for next year. I'm going to try to plan out a schedule that I can train around with tris, running, and cycling events. I'm really looking forward to it, but I, too, have no idea where to look for the dates of possible events, other than the ones I already know about because I did them this year

I did for a while (when I was debating whether I wanted to do a marathon) just google for "marathons" and other search terms that led me to sites with lists of marathons (and usually half marathons) and other events. Can't argue with google! Not all events use active.com, but so many do these days that it's a great place to start.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by liksani View Post
    Hmm... Seattle marathon.. was debating if I wanted to do the Seattle 1/2 or not . :P Oh and just a general question, but when you run halfs and full marathons, how hard do you push? I keep thinking maybe I should push so I can try to get a faster time because I always go at a pace where I can keep talking... except for that stretch where you see the finish and full out sprint. :P Well at least I full out sprint.
    Generally, the training guides I've read have me running some of my daily runs at up to 30 seconds slower than my marathon pace. So, my normal running pace is "comfortable" and my marathon pace would be close to that but slightly uncomfortable (though on race day, what was "comfortable" before seems to naturally be faster anyway). The last half marathon I did, I pushed too hard and suffered at the end with a really high heart rate and really tired body. Lately with the marathon training, I have been practicing pacing myself, and I know what "comfortable" is so I can take it one step further if I want to push. Honestly, I'd rather enjoy myself, so I think the "keep talking" (and sprint at the end!) pace is a better idea than the "suffer to the end" pace

I'm still learning myself, and since this is my first marathon I'm planning on feeling out how the pacing goes. Sometimes you have to be slow to learn what fast feels like

Pace Group

Anyone signing up for a pace group to run with in their upcoming marathon?

When I've done the 1/2's, I always take off too fast and hit the wall towards the end. And when I'm training sometimes I slow way down because I'm bored. I thought if I joined a pace group for the marathon that it might help me with a slower start and a steady pace.

Quote Originally Posted by limewave View Post
    Anyone signing up for a pace group to run with in their upcoming marathon?

When I've done the 1/2's, I always take off too fast and hit the wall towards the end. And when I'm training sometimes I slow way down because I'm bored. I thought if I joined a pace group for the marathon that it might help me with a slower start and a steady pace.
    I was thinking about it for all the same reasons (I've had the exact same experiences). The marathon I'm doing says: "Full Marathon paces will be provided for finish times of 3:30, 3:45, 4:00 and 4:45." Supposedly those line up for Boston qualifying times for various groups, but 4:45 is just about within reach for me based on my long training run paces. It might not be my Boston qualifying time (3:40), but there's no way I'll hit that -- this time

Quote Originally Posted by colby View Post
    I was thinking about it for all the same reasons (I've had the exact same experiences). The marathon I'm doing says: "Full Marathon paces will be provided for finish times of 3:30, 3:45, 4:00 and 4:45." Supposedly those line up for Boston qualifying times for various groups, but 4:45 is just about within reach for me based on my long training run paces. It might not be my Boston qualifying time (3:40), but there's no way I'll hit that -- this time
    I'm going to try and stick with the 4:30 pace group for the Chicago mary. My 1/2 marathon pace has been about 10:12 but my longer run pace has been 11:00. The 4:30 is about a 10:30 minute mile -- it could be a good challenge for me. I'll let you know how it goes.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Jennifer,
    also try www.marathonguide.com They have an excellent list of marathons, plus they include reviews of the races from runners who've done them. We choose all our marathons from that site, and mostly based on peoples experiences (although some you do have to take with a grain of salt, huh?)
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Las Vegas 1/2 anyone?

Hey,
    congratulations on all your races and running times. You ladies are motivating!!! I am transitioning back to running long distance after my biking months and a little time for "foot repair". I managed to have a great last week with a total of 30.5 miles and a long 11 mile on Saturday. It really helps to read all of your posting and get excited! I have signed up (along with my two daughters and husband)to run the Vegas half. Anybody else planning to run it. I ran it in 2003 and had a great time. I am a middle packer and finished at 2:06. I am hoping I can do the same....
    Anita "Shiraz"

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Girl View Post
    Jennifer,
    also try www.marathonguide.com They have an excellent list of marathons, plus they include reviews of the races from runners who've done them. We choose all our marathons from that site, and mostly based on peoples experiences (although some you do have to take with a grain of salt, huh?)
    Thanks Tri Girl
    Jennifer

-Mahatma Gandhi

-Aristotle