Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What's Riding/Racing Like In Southern California?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Considering relocation at some point to Southern California (maybe Orange County)...Not sure when or where exactly. I haven't even wrote off Northern California as an option LOL

Wondered what the road racing scene is like for women as well as elite men (cat 1-2)?

What is the riding like? I've visited but never rode there.

How is it with mtn. biking...riding and racing?

Lots of questions, I know, but any information would be greatly appreciated...

Many thanks in advance!

Racing in CA

There's a very active racing community in all of California (north & south) with races every weekend between January and September (and then cyclocross starts). Because we can ride year-round, you'll find many pros live in California, so the competition is tough. There are more women racers in either of these two districts than in any other districts in the country. Women's fields are typically large and it's challenging to place well and upgrade. Both northern and southern California have women's development programs (series just for beginning women racers) and lots of clinics and other fun stuff too!

You can find information here --

http://www.ncnca.org

http://www.scnca.org

Thanks, I'm going to check out both links and bookmark them

Wow, sounds very cool Guess I better get fast quick here so I can upgrade to Cat 3 .

Hugs and thanks,
    Lisa

I don't race, but I do live and Cycle in Socal.
    I live in Rancho Cucamonga. It's in the Inland Empire, which is the non-desert, non-Mountainous areas of San Bernardino and Riverside Counties.
    You can ride all year around here. There are organized centuries every month of the year except for december. The terrain can be varied. Being from Michigan, you might to get used to doing hill climbing, as a lot of the popular rides are in the San Gabriel Mountains. Try googling for "Glendora Mountian Road" and "Bicycle"
    Mountian biking - I don't do much of that. Maybe we can get BCIPam to chime in, since she lives in OC and is an avid mountian biker.

I live in the South Bay portion of Los Angeles, which is comprised of the beach cities located between LAX (El Segundo) to the north, down to the Palos Verdes Peninsula to the South. Almost all of the major streets have bike lanes and the air quality/heat index is never an issue. It very rarely gets above 85 degrees in the summer and there is no smog to speak of. Plenty of LBS (including two Tri stores) and health food stores/restaurants, too.

The South Bay's beach bike path is popular and can take you 20 miles north to Santa Monica, but it can get crowded with walkers, joggers, tourists etc, during holidays and summer days. I take that path at dawn sometimes and it's fantastic. There is nothing between you and the surf except a strip of sand and in that early morning light, dolphins leaping in the surf are a common sight.

The Palos Verdes Peninsula is another animal altogether. It has rolling hills, scenic, tree-lined roads running past equestrian centers and good climbs. There is even a section with some switchbacks, if you're into that, that rises 11% in some parts. TONS of roadies take to the Peninsula on weekends, pros to newbies (like me) because the roads are well kept (except for one small portion which was damaged by a slide) and the Pacific scenery from the bluffs is spectacular. Lots of cyclists train here and many of my racer-friends find no shortages of races to enter.

Be warned, though, the real estate can be pricey.
    Last edited by Bluetree; 09-06-2006 at 10:56 AM.

Thanks for the replies

Bluetree, it sounds great. I love that area you talk about...It's so pretty through there...

Price of real estate...Yep, I know. Hubby and I don't plan on having kids, etc. Hubby is in the tech field and I have my own business...plus, we are both entrepeneurs...shouldn't be an issue I know I'll have a cute, little place 2 bedroom for $600K...but, it seems so worth it

Where do I sign up?

Bear hugs to all!

For 600k, you may have to subtract a bedroom. New condos out here start at 400k (The Inland Empire is know for cheaper housing)

Sorry, have to agree with Fredwina. If you're looking for "cute", you'll have to raise your bid quite a bit. $600k just might get you into a starter condo. I live about 3 miles from the beach. The modest, 1950's-style houses start at about $800k... and my neighborhood isn't even considered very fashionable. But, it's safe and I have easy access to all the bike paths.

I live in Orange County ... riding here, both road and mountain is heaven. It's great and it's year round. Lots of great bike clubs to join both recreational and racing... but housing here is even worse than either Inland Empire or LA. Average price for small 3b/2bath home is $800,000 (if purchasing in Santa Ana or Anaheim. For areas like Irvine or Aliso Viejo it's $1,000,000+). One bedroom condo starts at $500,000. Rent is around $1500 for a one bedroom. But then again the riding is great. Best you just stay where you are. It's overcrowded and too busy here as it is!!!
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

I guess when I said 'cute' in regards to my housing desires, I was being kinda sarcastic with myself LOL...and using it more in the context of size...as in small.

But then again the riding is great. Best you just stay where you are. It's overcrowded and too busy here as it is!!!
    I realize the above quote is kinda meant as a joke, but helloooo...I didn't expect people to even remotely diss my 'dream' of moving to So. Cal. It's overcrowded and busy where I currently live LOL...There are pros and cons to living in any area really.

I guess I come from a spiritual background in which I believe that my thoughts create my reality. The truth is that I have put it out there to the Universe or divine that I want to live in California...The 'how' is not even up to me...I know it will manifest in perfect, divine timing...It will be so fun and exciting...Yay! I'm so excited

Can't wait until that day...I'll post some pictures of my little, humble abode with one of my nice bikes, my cute husband, and my awesome quads LOL...Hee hee!!!!

Visualizing everyone here in alignment with their heart's deepest desires and wishing only the best for everyone...Life is too short not to 'dream'...make things a reality Live life to the fullest and don't ever settle for anything 'mundane'...You deserve the best...As do I

With only the most loving intentions...and in love and gratitude for allowing me to express my own truth...

Yoga:

In California its a long established joke... we try and dissaude people from coming here - it's all in jest - but reality is California is becoming a real mess and what once made it a great place is slowly erroding due to congestion etc. It shouldn't be a dream to come live in California. If you have jobs and are planning to come here - welcome. No one was kidding about the riding here - it's glorious, will be the least of your problems. I just think most of us California believe people should know the reality of good riding, we pay dearly for it and if you come here, you will too. Just have your eyes wide open.

I had a friend move here last year from New Jersey. She was told housing prices were reasonable. They are in some areas but she found out those areas aren't desirable (either high crime or 2 - 3 hr drive from work). She purchased a nice 2 bedroom condo in Anaheim Hills but is mortgaged to the hilt.

Anyway, didn't mean to offend. I wasn't serious, just joking - again pretty much an established California joke... if and when you and your husband know where you are coming to live, the rest of us CA gals can fill you in on good riding spots. You can also go to bikeforums.net, under regional discussions, southern california - lots of information of So Cal rides is posted there. Also check out bikeirvine.org for information on bike clubs and riding around Orange County.
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

I am not offended by anyone here Love ya'll

Actually, it's quite difficult to offend me. In my post previous to this one, I was simply expressing my own truth, which is what you did in your recent post and elsewhere in this thread No harm, no foul. Everyone sees things differently and has his or her own personal truths. That's what makes the world go 'round. Thank goodness there are differences or the world may not be as exciting to me LOL I get bored easily I guess...I'm working on being more focused though.

I'm well aware of the jokes about not moving to California

It shouldn't be a dream to come live in California. If you have jobs and are planning to come here - welcome.
    Hubby and I are definitely going to make sure we have employment lined up before packing and moving out to California We are looking at our various options. Thankfully, there are many...and, we'll be just fine financially Yay!

As for the "shouldn't," I have been trying to eliminate the 'should's' and 'shouldn't's' from my vocabulary It just works better for me that way

I appreciate the links and information regarding riding in Orange County Many thanks

If you ever want to ride in Metro Detroit, I can return the favor and provide data...along, with some jokes about why you wouldn't want to live here LOL.

I enjoy being of service to others...that is why I'm on the planet

With bear hugs to all...

Ahem!

There's always Northern California. Housing would appear to be more reasonable here. My little 850 square foot condo goes for about $430K right now. The two-bedroom cottages in Burlingame are about $650k. Of course, there are many more expensive places to live, but nice, cute, reasonable housing in good neighborhoods can be found in Northern California.

And, we ride year-round too!

And, we're not wedded to our cars like those SoCal-ers.

And, there's less smog.

And better wine.

And,

and,

and.....

Velogirl,

Hee hee!

I'm going to plan a trip maybe for early to late Spring next year to Northern California too. I'm drawn to San Luis Obispro as well as San Jose I have seen pics of Santa Cruz that draw me there too

Will be keeping an open mind

Hugs!

Yogabear,
    Thought I'd add my two cents agian
    about a year and 9 months ago , I moved to Socal (Duck rotten tomato thrown by BCIPam ) from Hershey, PA
    At that time I was unemployed and it sounded better than nothing.
    Housing - I call it the 1/3 rule 1/3 less for 1/3 more. That, and I live a far bit away from work. My job is in El Monte, which is a city in the San Gabriel Valley that's seen better times. I could have gotten a place cheaper and closer, but was not impressed with what I saw.
    Riding -aside from being "goldlilocks" with the groups,(The pace of the local group rides was either too fast or too slow, and having a monster commutte (darn!), you can get in more riding. You don't have to put up your bike from November until March. Velogirl, one of my ridng partners told smog builds strong lungs (The wind usaully comes in from the coast, and blows all the emissons east into San Bernardino/Riverside, where the mountian trap it)
    Haven't been to NorCal, but I've been to Solvang/Lompoc a couple of times. It seems like the Central coast area would be the idea mix of weather, terrain, and urbanization (enough to have stuff reasonably close by, but you can get of town and onto some country roads