Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

To disable ads, please log-in.

here's another thread that won't ever die.
    I think Triskelion loves her brooks.
    mimi loves hers too.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by mimitabby View Post
    here's another thread that won't ever die.
    I missed it the first two or three times around, and got quite a kick out of seeing how many times it got revived from obscurity. Quite the useful topic!

Yes, this is the thread that won't die! One year later I am still very happy with my Brooks Finesse. My only complaint are that the rails are a tad short, but each time I have tried another saddle, I always quickly return to my Finesse. I really don't think I could ever go back to riding a non-Brooks saddle, although I do wish they would make the Finesse with a longer nose and rails, but everything else exactly the same!

Quote Originally Posted by Triskeliongirl View Post
    I really don't think I could ever go back to riding a non-Brooks saddle, although I do wish they would make the Finesse with a longer nose and rails, but everything else exactly the same!
    Oh, if the B17 standard were only 7 mm wider, it would match your wish!
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    I'm reading about all the saddle woes and all I can say is ouch!

I used to use a Terry but my sit bones were too wide for the Liberator and I ordered a Falcon X recently and it was too narrow as well. Terry doesn't offer different sizes for the sit bones like Specialized. If they did, they would be tops in the market in my opinion.

I am ordering a Specialized Alias saddle sz 143 mm in hopes that it's comfy enough for the girlie parts. I really don't want to develop those darn cysts or saddle sores. Got the chamois butter and I hope my saddle is comfy.

Also, Pearl Izumi Short Attack short offers strategic padding for the fore/aft parts of the seat. I like PI shorts better than Terry's for the chamois/fabric technology. I think with the right combo of short and saddle, many of these problems can be alleviated. Now if only the seat could make my lipo disappear.....

Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    I used to use a Terry but my sit bones were too wide for the Liberator and I ordered a Falcon X recently and it was too narrow as well. Terry doesn't offer different sizes for the sit bones like Specialized. If they did, they would be tops in the market in my opinion.

I am ordering a Specialized Alias saddle sz 143 mm in hopes that it's comfy enough for the girlie parts. I really don't want to develop those darn cysts or saddle sores. Got the chamois butter and I hope my saddle is comfy.
    But wait, isn't a 143 mm saddle narrower than a Terry Liberator or Falcon X?

143 mm = 14.3 cm = 5.6"

According to the Terry site, the Falcon X is 6" wide, the Liberator Race is 5.8", and the Liberator X is 6.5".

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by marepaso View Post
    maybe a pu___y translpant?
    HAHAHAHAHAAA!
    No idea why that made me laugh so much

I like bag balm when I get some chafing or something like that. Seems to heal it up overnight.
    Because not every fast cyclist is a toothpick...

Brick House Blog

Sundial - what are the outside measurements of your sit-bones?

The rule of thumb I've heard is to have 1 or 2 cm margin to the outside of each sit-bone for a comfy saddle that lets you weightbear on the bones rather than on soft tissue.

My 180mm sits never land on the nice cushy part of any chamois, but they are nicely supported by my Brooks B67. Once you figure out the width range of the various saddles it makes shopping a whole lot easier.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Unhappy

Good morning Ladies, I'm new to cycling. Have been a marathon runner for years and am struggling with PF, hence here I am on a bike. I must say that I absolutely love it. I logged 500 miles my very first month and am struggling with one issue. My perineum is tender after riding. I'm not chaffing, although I do feel a little burning when I urinate initally after my ride.I am trying to make a conscious effort to sit on the seat correctly. I have not been able to have an orgasm since I started riding. I have a doctor's appt in a little over a week, but am wonder WTF have I done? I am 42 y/o and have never struggled with this before. I've read about women getting vaginal nerve damage. Is this temporary? The joke with DH is that I'm going to apply for a handicap parking sticker, but it really is bothering me.
    Also, how do I go about getting measured for a new saddle and how do I know what will work for me. The LBS is all guys and I would feel a bit uncomfortable talking to them about this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclingmom01 View Post
    Good morning Ladies, I'm new to cycling. Have been a marathon runner for years and am struggling with PF, hence here I am on a bike. I must say that I absolutely love it. I logged 500 miles my very first month and am struggling with one issue. My perineum is tender after riding. I'm not chaffing, although I do feel a little burning when I urinate initally after my ride.I am trying to make a conscious effort to sit on the seat correctly. I have not been able to have an orgasm since I started riding. I have a doctor's appt in a little over a week, but am wonder WTF have I done? I am 42 y/o and have never struggled with this before. I've read about women getting vaginal nerve damage. Is this temporary? The joke with DH is that I'm going to apply for a handicap parking sticker, but it really is bothering me.
    Also, how do I go about getting measured for a new saddle and how do I know what will work for me. The LBS is all guys and I would feel a bit uncomfortable talking to them about this issue.
    Does your saddle have a cutout? I ride a saddle with a cutout to avoid the issues you mention. I have burning pain with urination after riding if I do not have a cutout, or if the cutout is too narrow (Terry Damselfly - ouch!) I am very happy with the Selle San Marco Atola Gelaround. It has a very soft, diamond-shape cutout, and I never have any genital irritation or nerve issues with it. I hope that your problems will go away when you get a better saddle. I wouldn't ride another mile on whatever saddle you are riding now -- that does not sound good!

As for getting measured, I have read here that shops that sell Specialized saddles have a "butt-o-meter" you can sit on that can show your sitbones distance, but I just measured mine to the best of my ability manually. I laid on my back, pulled my legs back over my head, and just felt where my bones were down there. I determined that they were quite narrow (not too surprising since I have 34" hips), so I needed a narrower saddle than what I was riding. If your bones are wider, you might find a Terry Butterfly comfortable -- a lot of women really love that saddle.

Also - make sure to buy your saddle from an LBS or online retailer that allows a trial period to make sure it's going to work for you, and if not, you can return it and try another one.

Good luck and welcome to the wonderful (but sometimes vexing!) world of cycling!

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    Sundial - what are the outside measurements of your sit-bones?
    Knotted, I'm actually a 130 mm in sit bone width, but I went with a 143 mm saddle. I figured it wouldn't hurt to have a little extra room as I change positions on the saddle.

Quote Originally Posted by Triskeliongirl View Post
    Yes, this is the thread that won't die!
    Resurrected, again!

Quote Originally Posted by cyclingmom01 View Post
    I just (as in 1 hour ago) finished my certificate in pelvic rehab. (Physical therapy.) My whole class was darn near dancing out of the exam room! I don't think anyone failed the final exam.

Let me tell ya, I'm *full* of information right now! (dang, I hope I don't forget any of it later!)

First off, let's blame your saddle or saddle position, since you didn't have these issues before riding.

We won't blame *cycling*, cuz we all know cycling is faaaaabuuuulous! We won't blame core strength or posture, cuz I can't see those and evaluate them. (go to a PT who does bikes or women's health or BOTH to really get checked out. Forum info is never as good as face-to-face info. If you need resources or contacts in your area please PM me.)

Something is pressing on your soft tissues. What is it, and why is it pressing?

1. Is your saddle too narrow?
    A narrow saddle might feel ok for a bit, but if you are weightbearing on your soft tissue or pubic rami or pelvic floor tendons rather than your ischial tuberosities ("sit bones") you will compress things that will protest. A well-fitting saddle should be as comfortable as a wooden chair.

2. Is your saddle too soft?
    Soft saddles will also feel nice for a bit. Unfortunately, most wider aka "women's" saddles also seem to be very overly padded saddles. Cushy stuff will press upward between your sit bones as they sink down into the cush, and crush the life out of the soft tissue between the sitz.

3. Do you truly need a cut-out?
    Ok, I've seen more female genitalia than I ever expected to when I began working in PT. And here's what I've learned: all women are built differently!! You might need a cut out, cuz your tissue might be "fluffier" than someone else's! Don't be shy! In the past I poo-pooed cut-outs because they don't work for me. Now I have seen the error of my ways. Lo, I must be a non-fluffy type.

4. Is your saddle/bar relationship wrong?
    If you cannot maintain your weight on your ischial tuberosities on a saddle that is wide enough, you might want to look at how far forward ("reach") your bars are relative to the saddle or how far down relative to the saddle they are ("rise"). Reach and rise contribute to the anterior/posterior tilt of your pelvis on the saddle. Tilt has an awful lot to do with what tissues or bones are weightbearing.

Core strength is also vitally important, as is the tendency to lock your elbows (cuz then the jolts and bumps go straight to your butt) but you need face-to-face to work on that and other postural/riding habits.

BTW: elbow locking can also be a sign of too long a reach or too low a rise.

Saddle size: The rule of thumb (which seems to work well, so I have no reason to criticize it) is that you should take your outside sitz bone measurement and add 1-2cm to each end for wiggle room. That gives you the width of the saddles to consider.

Watch someone ride some time, they really do shift around on the saddle quite a bit as they change from downhill to climbing to flats.

Folks with a hip angle that feels best on "T" shaped saddles are at a disadvantage to those who can ride "pear" shaped saddles, I think. The "T" folks can't really shift front to back on their saddles like the "pear" folks. "T" riders just gotta get their buns up off the saddle more often to relieve/change pressure.