Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does anybody use this CamelBack???

To disable ads, please log-in.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=

I bought it today for my century, I do drink from a bottle on regular rides, but I usually when we (club) ride in a busy street with traffic I dont take the chance of taking my attention away or worse having the bottle dropped and someone fall over because of it. I decided I should get the camelback for longer rides to make sure I drink enough. I can also use it on my century that's coming up. Of course I got it in blue to match my bike, shoes, helmet shorts, geez doesn't it sound like I like blue color?

Anyway, how do you preffer to fill your hydrapack? do you feel it with plain water and put energy drink in the bottle or visa versa?

That looks like the one I have. Mine is a couple years old and I think it might be a little smaller. I never use mine, but not because the design is bad. The women's specific fit is great for my petite build and I recall it was very comfortable for my first organized ride (50 miles). Personally, I like to use water bottles and not deal with anything on my back.

When I did use it I always put water and ice in mine and energy drink in the bottles. This is another personal preference, I can tolerate warm energy drinks over warm water.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

I ordered that one yesterday, based on comments from ladies on this board! I don't have a problem drinking out of my bottles, but with only two water bottles each, DH and I are limited to riding in areas where we can refill, and we want to venture out into the country a bit more. Mine should arrive next week -- we should compare notes after we've both tried it.

KB

Hey! I have one of these, in a nice light blue.

I started riding again after a long, long absence so I haven't gone past 2 hours yet. For anything shorter than 2 hours, I used to fill the camelb'k with water. Anything longer? Definitely an energy drink (pick your favorite) - ala gatorade, powerade, whatever. I'll do the same once I go past 2 hours in a single ride, which should be real soon

The extra calories (for me anyway) in energy drinks, really helped on longer rides where you have to stay vigilant of your calorie intake to avoid bonking~

Will post review after it arrives, it's amazing what a deal you can get on Nashbar, my LBS sells them for 50$.
    I also have no problem drinking from a bottle, but sometimes it's impossible when I want to (too much traffic around).

I have the Charm, the only difference I see is that mine holds less water and the colour is different. I bought mine from Nashbar. i like it and the fit is great.
    Jennifer

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
    -Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
    -Aristotle

I have a Dream in red(subliminal message here?) works great.The only I did was to cut off some of the hose so it would not hit my leg when pedaling.

I don't have th Dream but have several other Camelbaks in different sizes (50 oz, 72 oz and 100 oz) depending on my ride. I won't use anything else. I've learned to reply on my CB and just hate reaching under the bar for a water bottle. I find I drink more and stay hydrated better. Wearing something on my back has never bothered me. Plus I can carry stuff in the CB and don't have to rely on a seat bag or bar bag. Keeps the bike light and less "rattlely"
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

Quote Originally Posted by FreshNewbie
    Anyway, how do you preffer to fill your hydrapack? do you feel it with plain water and put energy drink in the bottle or visa versa?
    Check what the manufacturer says, but usually the recommendation is only water in hydration bladders. The creep crawlies grow in there, even with water only. Storing the hose in the freezer between times helps. People have all sorts of ways to clean the hoses. We use a bit of bleach solution and then rinse, rinse, rinse.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Yea I know which creep crawlies you talking about! Good thing this one comes with free gift of cleaning kit, not sure if it will help. Well I guess I will have to experiment a little bit :-)

I just bought this one, but I haven't had a chance to use it yet. I mostly drink plain water, and would put the sports drink in a regular bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredwina
    I have a Dream in red(subliminal message here?) works great.The only I did was to cut off some of the hose so it would not hit my leg when pedaling.

Why in the heck didn't I think of that!!!!! Cutting off some of the hose, what a good idea!!!

Karen in Boise, who's hunting for a good sharp scissors....

I have a hi-viz version, with a nicely insulated hose - not sure how I'd cut off any of it, though. I keep stuffing it down into the bag.
    I just wish this thing could hold **anything** cargo-wise. I love putting a blinky on the loopy tag thing and glowing in the dark. And despite what people say, it's water in there, not gin.

I have the Charm, as well. I've found that I can stash a very tiny paperback in with the water bladder, but that's it. I have a bigger one for day trips but I don't really use it on the bike.

I would never put gatorade in the Camelbak, but I do fill it with ice if the day is hot enough. We tend to ride in hot weather so usually I have two bottles of Gatorade plus water in the Camelbak.

And cutting the hose is brilliant! I am going to do that before my next ride.

I don't know which one I have, however the bladder can take more than 2L of fluid. I just fill it with cold water and away I go. As I have a significant scar on my upper right back, I was resistant to wearing any type of back pack-however, the camelbak has a sliding set of clasps at the top-so-when I hitch it together, there is NO pressure on my old scar nor over the muscles. The water stays reasonably cold for a long time. There is padding on the back, too, that allows a barrier between my skin and shirt, to leave room for sweat dispersion and evapoartion. I love the little pockets--that let me carry keys, ID--small towel, binoculars--kleenex and all that jazz. I am Very pleased with the whole device. I have no problem getting the mouth piece to my mouth. All in all, this is a piece of gear I wouldn't be without anymore.