Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by CorsairMac
    Since you bought Shimano SPD shoes, you might want to look into the Shimano dual-sided pedal.........it's perfect for first time clipless users and commuting/MTB'ng. One side of the pedal is a clip, the other side is a platform with a recessed area the cleat fits into but you don't clip in. That way you can always ride the platform side if you're feeling a little "iffy" on the clip side.

I took your advice and then chatted with Cari-unbelievably nice person, with seamingly endless patience. We narrowed it down to Simano M520 SP Pedals or Shimano PD-M424 Pedals.

Any advice?
    Jennifer

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
    -Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
    -Aristotle

Hey, don't know if you are interested, but since I'm looking at going clipless I was following your thread and looked to see if my LBS's carried those models. During my search I found the M520's at a really great price

http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB='0763-04'

Even with shipping they are -$5-10 less than I can get them here in my town...

There's nothing wierd about Shimano's actual sizing, it's just their conversions are wonky. I wear a US women's 8.5 in running shoes, which always say they are equivalent to a euro 40. My Shimano shoes (the same ones as Kathi's, but the women's version) are, lo and behold, a size 40 also. Or perhaps they haven't done wonky conversions - maybe they're just giving the men's equivalent sizing instead of the women's...
    Drink coffee and do stupid things faster with more energy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascale
    Hey, don't know if you are interested, but since I'm looking at going clipless I was following your thread and looked to see if my LBS's carried those models. During my search I found the M520's at a really great price

http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB='0763-04'

Even with shipping they are -$5-10 less than I can get them here in my town...
    I am heading to my not so local bike store (where I bought my bike) and they are hooking me up with duel sided pedals and setting up my new shoes (that my cruddy lbs sold me).

He mentioned the following Shimano Pedals: 520, 525, and 424
    All are duel sided. So we shall see what I come back with. I wish I could take all of you with me. My knowledge is minimal-although Cari taught me so much last night. How cool is that? She does not know me, yet spent hours explaining pedals to me. This list rocks!
    Jennifer

-Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
    -Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by Bikingmomof3
    I took your advice and then chatted with Cari-unbelievably nice person, with seamingly endless patience. We narrowed it down to Simano M520 SP Pedals or Shimano PD-M424 Pedals.

Any advice?
    Bikingmom --- I got thsoe M520 pedals the other day, and they're GREAT! At least for me, I've been delighted with how easy they are to use. I think you'd like them too!

Karen in Boise

Karen,
    I am clipless! Mine are just like the 520s only they have a removable cage on one side-I think of it as clipless training weels.
    Jennifer

-Mahatma Gandhi

-Aristotle

Flying Fish Guest

Inexpensive, Not Cheap

GOt some Forte shoes for under $50 at Performance-- clearance. They should have had these little parts in the box which you can use once you want to get fancy-- mine were missing. I don't miss them. They are like flat, stiff tennis shoes. they have some reflective stuff and make me walk like a duck-- almost as funny as those people clomping around in their cool bike shoes.

What do you do with the kids when you ride?

FORGIVE ME. I AM HAVING NEW POSTER DIFFICULTIES. DIDN'T SEE YOUR LAST POST. I WILL SOON BE OFF AND RIDING.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Fish
    What do you do with the kids when you ride?
    Flying Fish,
    The boys ride as well. I am new to riding (less than a month) so the boys can ride cicles around me. Sometimes my husband and I go by ourselves. My children are now, thankfully, old enough to be home for a few hours without us. Usually they want to be on the trails with us. The twins have new Trek bikes, so 4 out of 5 of us have Treks. My oldest wanted to keep his old mtb (he is hloding out hope for ipod speakers-um the pointof his ipod was so *I* did not have to be subjected to his music.
    Jennifer

-Mahatma Gandhi

-Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by CorsairMac
    Since you bought Shimano SPD shoes, you might want to look into the Shimano dual-sided pedal.........it's perfect for first time clipless users and commuting/MTB'ng. One side of the pedal is a clip, the other side is a platform with a recessed area the cleat fits into but you don't clip in. That way you can always ride the platform side if you're feeling a little "iffy" on the clip side.

I have Keo Look pedals on my bike.

Sometimes, I want to bike to a friend's house but I don't want to walk around in my road shoes -- kinda awkward. I have a set of cheap platform pedals I can switch out, so I can wear my Keds, but that seems like it would be a pain to change it often.

Does anyone know if there are dual-side Look pedals? If so, would it be worth the price... or am I better off just changing my pedals to my platforms when needed?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetree
    I have Keo Look pedals on my bike.

Sometimes, I want to bike to a friend's house but I don't want to walk around in my road shoes -- kinda awkward. I have a set of cheap platform pedals I can switch out, so I can wear my Keds, but that seems like it would be a pain to change it often.

Does anyone know if there are dual-side Look pedals? If so, would it be worth the price... or am I better off just changing my pedals to my platforms when needed?
    There are, or used to be, adapters that would clip into Look pedals and provide something akin to platform pedals with toe clips. I have an old pair that you can have for free. I don't use Looks anymore. PM me if interested. Can anyone verify if modern Look pedals can use the same cleat as Look pedals from the mid-80s?
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

Quote Originally Posted by DebW
    There are, or used to be, adapters that would clip into Look pedals and provide something akin to platform pedals with toe clips. I have an old pair that you can have for free. I don't use Looks anymore. PM me if interested. Can anyone verify if modern Look pedals can use the same cleat as Look pedals from the mid-80s?
    Traditional Look pedals and the new Keos do not use the same cleats.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.