Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Justifying the saddle is easy. "Honey, did you know there's a documented relationship between sexual dysfunction and your bike saddle? Would you like a copy of the article to peruse over dinner?"

The same goes for new bike shorts. "Honey, I'm just not in the mood tonight. Those old bike shorts have SUCH a bad chamois - I'm all chafed!"

Good luck with the other stuff.

There are some real advantages to being a single girl, you know...
    Drink coffee and do stupid things faster with more energy.

let's see if DirtDiva and I can think of any....

* no checking with DPITA, DP. DH, D'anything (except Dear Dog) if you can ride. Want to ride? Go ride.

* can chug chocolate milk right from the container when you get home, nobody says ewwwww. Might have to stop that some day.

and best of all...

* gult free flirting with cute bikers on the ride
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Huh? I thought that's how you were supposed to drink chocky milk.

* when there are two bikes and the Cycleops in the living room, no one complains. (I will move the bikes upstairs, it's too da** hot to go upstairs).

* uninterupted TdF watching ("but I always watch _____ ")
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

I have the opposite problem. DH was the cyclist first. We share all our money and I pay the bills. I know how empty or full the bank account is at all times. We are young, pretty fresh out of college, so it is usually closer to empty. DH thinks I deserve all the best (which I do of course) and the price tag is usually a minor detail.

We are dreaming of a new bike for me. I only have a $600 bike and I have put over 2k on it this year alone, so I definitely deserve a new bike. I was looking at $1500 bikes, DH asks why I am overlooking the $2300-2500 bikes. Hmmm, I wonder. I want a house, kiddos one day and to be able to eat something other than ramen!

The mountain bike debate is much less lively. He thinks I need one that is about $1200. I don't see myself riding it that often, so I think the ones that are about $500 will be just fine. He fianlly agreed I was (as usual) right.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

* You never have to cut a ride short because your mother in law is coming over for dinner.

* You can leave your heap of stinky bike clothes wherever you damned well please.

* Nobody ever asks you questions like "You used my toothbrush to clean WHAT?!?!?"

Quote Originally Posted by DirtDiva
    * You never have to cut a ride short because your mother in law is coming over for dinner.

* You can leave your heap of stinky bike clothes wherever you damned well please.

* Nobody ever asks you questions like "You used my toothbrush to clean WHAT?!?!?"
    geez, being married isn't THAT bad!
    we drink from the carton, do laundry when its necessary and the m-in-l
    lives too far away to come for dinner.

I hated being single. the human being (me anyway) is a social creature.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

I may be a social creature, but I'm a selfish one too.

mimitabby "geez, being married isn't THAT bad!"

nobody's saying it's bad.

This is a D.I.N.K. (double income no kids, or maybe double income not lots and lots of kids) sport for some odd reason: maybe the cost, all the work on the equipment, the cost, the constant need for a lot of food and cooking....the cost....trying to reach the roof rack...

Being a single parent of a dog and a cyclist is tough sometimes. Sure, it would be great to share the sport with someone even just for the recovery meal.

I think what DirtDiva and I are saying it's good to remember there actually are advantages. Sure beats crying in our cytomax....or beer.

Oh, another one:
    * no coordinating training schedules (I'm tired, she needs to ride hard).
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

Hmmmmm... S.I.O.K.? S.I.S.K.? S.S.I.K.?

(seperate single income with Kid)
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Three words:

Separate. Checking. Account.

I don't have to justify the expense (his, mine and our accounts), but I have to justify the SPACE that stuff takes up. I just ordered a bike friday, which will be bike number three. The first thing out of DH's mouth (repeated many times)...."Where are you going to put a THIRD bike? Do you really need a THIRD bike?". Of course he doesn't like that number one is in the living room. We don't have a very large house and I certainly don't want my bikes sitting OUTSIDE!

Kitsune06 Guest
    HA! Substitute virtually ANYTHING for toothbrush. The recent winner was 'clean, new dish towel' ... it met my newly cleaned and oiled chain. Hey! It hadda be clean, and what better way to get into the little crannies than with a nice, plushy new towel!? She scolded me with the above line and terminated it with "YOU'RE SUCH A GUY!" I was honestly hurt... and would've said so if I hadn't been in stitches!

* gult free flirting with cute bikers on the ride
    I get that one. Boys are silly but not a threat.

Kitsune - if she's borrowing YOUR bike when you guys go on rides, I'd say she knows a good bike when she rides it. Maybe she needs her OWN good bike.... Then she can start buying stuff, too.
    Tried it. She said "I don't spend enough time on my bike. You can ride yours when you ride alone." *sniff*

We keep our finances seperate, but she knows how much I owe on my car, Visa, etc, and will give me "the look" if I spend more money right now.
    Bingo. Left to my own devices, I'd spend like an early 20 something with a biking habit. but I owe her, my car, my Visa, etc etc, so... I either only get little things (tubes as I need them, patch kits as I need them, hammer gel, elete, etc) and little things I think I can either hide or slip under radar (bar ends to help climb, neat but irreverent stickers "Put the fun between your legs! <insert pic of bicycle under caption>" a jacket to replace my lost one, etc. It's hard b/c she's impervious to addiction in this way. She's saving to buy a brand new car in cash *shrug* so she knows how to manage her money- and I frustrate her endlessly. There's a light at the end of the tunnel, though. Once I pay off the visa and pay her back, I can supposedly start buying bike stuff again (or at least not have to triple check everything with her)

Mercy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune06
    I tried valiantly to get her into it... and now just to get fit, she's taking short rides with me... but she insists on borrowing my bike and having me carry the locks, water, repair kits, etc.
    Ugh.
    I know why THIS happens! I do it to DH (and I'm the one with the addiction) all the time! She's weighing you down so she can keep up with you!

Karen in Boise