Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Dumb question about tire size

To disable ads, please log-in.

How do I know how large of a tire will fit on my bike? I have 700x23 on it right now, but was thinking of getting something a bit wider like 25 or so (I want to use it for commuting). How do I know what will work?
    Thanks!

700x25 should be fine. Maybe even 700x28. If you try them and they fit on the rims fine and they clear the frame adequately, then use them. The fatter tires will be harder to get between the brake calipers unless you have a quick release on the calipers or levers.

I don't know about the 700x28 - it probably depends on the type of brakes you have on your bike.

I run 700x28 (or 700x32) on one of my touring bikes, but the bike has cantilever brakes (mountain bike style brakes). And while I haven't tried 700x28 with the side-pull brakes on my road bike - well, at best it would be very tight.
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

The 700x28's will fit. But it is difficult to get them through the brakes when fully inflated. I just wait to inflate until after the wheel is back on the bike and the tire is past the brakes.

annie
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard

usually if you detach the brake pulley the wheel will go on without problem.

To the original question - as long as you buy a 700X you should be ok. You can easily transition from 700X23 to 700X25 and some brake adjustment might be needed for 28's or above.
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

I have a tiny frame and was told a few times that 700 X 28 wouldn't fit.

Make sure it works for your wheels/frame setup before you go and buy a pair...

Grog: Does your bike already have 700c wheels?? If it has 650 then no it wouldn't work but it's unclear if you already have 700c wheels why 28's wouldn't work. Anyone out there have an answer?
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

Quote Originally Posted by bcipam
    Grog: Does your bike already have 700c wheels?? If it has 650 then no it wouldn't work but it's unclear if you already have 700c wheels why 28's wouldn't work. Anyone out there have an answer?
    I do have 700C, but it wouldn't fit. 25C would probably though. Strange frame configuration I guess.