Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

have some questions

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have a few questions I hope someone can help me with. First of all, I have a road bike that I put in around 100 miles a week. I am finally going to buy a camelbak but don't know anything about them. What I need is one that will work for biking and hiking. I would think that one would work for both sports. We do long day hikes so need some room to stash things. Also I have an old Giant Sadona hybrid that I use for trails. I am wanting to get a new mountain bike but can't spend big bucks on one. My road bike is a Giant also. Have had alot of good rides on both but we are looking for more of a real mountain bike. What about a mid priced Giant? Can I even get a decent bike for around $600? Hubby will get one also. We are not hardcore mountain bikers and use them when on vacation. We are both mid 50's but still have fun!
    Thanks for any feedback.

Camelbak makes a woman specific pack that you could use for hiking and mtb rides. However, I would test it out at the store; you might want more storage space and a bigger hydration bladder, depending on the type of hiking you are doing. They make bigger sizes for men, but the straps usually hit you right across the chest and squish your boobs in very awkward places. Go to REI and test out all the ones you think you might like. I actually use mine without the bladder in it for a backpack when I commute on my road bike to work (I can't put any racks, etc on my road bike).
    I can't help you too much with the purchase of a mtb. I am an "advanced" novice mountain biker. I have a full suspension mtb, but I just don't ride on the trails that often to get better. I do like it, though and it is a nice change from the road. Too bad I can't rip myself away from my road bike enough! If you are going to be riding mostly fire roads and easier trails, you can get a reasonably priced hard tail mtb.
    Ladies, any advice on brands?

I wouldn't recommend going in to a new bike purchased focused on one brand. You should test ride a bunch of bikes to find the right fit. Talk with the people at the shop, tell them what type of riding you will be doing and test ride, test ride, test ride. If your budget is $600, I would recommnd looking at a hardtail (front suspension only). You'll get a pretty decent bike for that price, if you go full suspension, you'll sacrifice quite a bit in components.

Brand to brand, you'll get basically the same thing. It's all about fit. Each brand may have slightly different geometry. So many people purchase their first mountain bike without knowing anything about fit and get one that is not sized properly. Some shops will switch out stems and handlesbars to work with you for proper fit. Just shop around.

Thanks for the advice. We well hit the bike stores before our vacation in Sept.