Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: how slow am I?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Lise
    No riding for the MP this weekend, right?

That's right. Looking like 6 months of no riding from what the doctor said, but we'll see. I am planning my comeback. Be warned!!
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Quote Originally Posted by caligurl
    good luck on your ride this weekend! please be careful!!!!

everyone one of my epic rides (which of course aren't as epic as the death ride or your doubles)... have all be PROUDLY completed... but completed slowly (or rather to the best of my ability!)... but hey.... i finished! and THAT was what important to ME!

Thanks for the good wishes, Cali, but I am not riding the Death Ride or any of the other doubles I had planned for the rest of the year. Or the FC 508.

See: http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=7836

3 - 6 months off the bike. I had to buy trail running shoes.
    Sarah

2011 Volagi Liscio

(geez... at redlands i was barely moving on some of those 22-24% grades! but i never walked once! phew!)
    On my last brevet, I had to walk up a hill. It was an out and back, and on the climb going out I dropped into my triple and the last gear I had to try to spin up it. I barely made it. After the descent, I thought to myself "oh sh*t" to get back up that beast. I think the grade was easily 10%. Needless to say, I had some mechanical issues with all the rain and crap on the road that eventually caused me to abandon the ride at mile 108. But not before I walked up that stupid hill. It was either tip over or walk after my chain locked up on me about 1/3 of the way up. Man was my ego bruised though!

Edited: I meant 10%, not 20%.
    Last edited by betagirl; 07-05-2006 at 03:52 PM.
    "Only the meek get pinched, the bold survive"

I don't believe a human can ride a 24% grade...
    "...I'm like the cycling version of the guy in Flowers for Algernon." Mike Magnuson

My perspective on the original post was a thought on how to get faster, if one wanted to. It also sounds like someone made an unfortunate remark about 13 mph being slow, which as everyone has pointed out, doesn't mean diddly.

But I'm definitely interested in going faster - when I'm out by myself, strictly for personal satisfaction (or maybe to try catching some of those groups who pass me). What I'm concentrating on is form, and noting my speed on sections of my ride that I repeat all the time. Like, "hey, weren't we doing X mph last week, and now we're up to X + 1." And from what I can tell, proper form involves moving your knees up and down, and not moving anything back and forth or side to side. If this can be accomplished, then all the effort goes into moving the bike forward. And someday I'm going to ride up a HILL - I promise. I'd like to be able to do this without hurting my back... so Form is an interesting topic to me. But this sort of stuff floats my boat, and doesn't mean a thing about anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by maillotpois
    I had to buy trail running shoes.
    Sarah, does this mean you're feeling better? I mean, it has the word "running" in it. Does this mean you're up and around?
    -Amy

Quote Originally Posted by dachshund
    Sarah, does this mean you're feeling better? I mean, it has the word "running" in it. Does this mean you're up and around?
    -Amy

Thanks, Amy. I guess my clots are better, but I am actually having more pain, which stinks. I bought the shoes in anticipation of being able to run (or, actually hike quickly!) soon. Like maybe end of next week. For now, I am taking it pretty easy, though I did go intot he office today and I am going up to the Sierras this weekend to cheer on DH at the Death Ride.
    Sarah

2011 Volagi Liscio

MP, is it a _little_ bit of a relief not to be riding something called the Death Ride??

Nanci

PS, you could train for Wickham park now!!
    "...I'm like the cycling version of the guy in Flowers for Algernon." Mike Magnuson

Quote Originally Posted by Nanci
    MP, is it a _little_ bit of a relief not to be riding something called the Death Ride??

Nanci

PS, you could train for Wickham park now!!

This is a total (probably welcome) hijack.

You know, given how crummy my last rides were (due to the stupid clots) it is a relief. I am in pretty decent shape, but boy did I struggle on my training rides. Clot-less, I think I would have been more psyched up for it.

In spite of the name, the Death Ride is a stunningly beautiful ride. The mountains are gorgeous and it is almost spiritually peaceful out there.

Wickham Park sounds crazy fun, but like something beyond my running abilities - crazy! I have done 3 marathons. The first was great. The rest were just long. And painful!
    Sarah

2011 Volagi Liscio

Quote Originally Posted by dachshund
    But I'm definitely interested in going faster.
    Amy, I just had to smile at the above quote next to the picture of a dachshund. Like I'm one to talk! I pictured a doxie working on form with those 3" legs.
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

Lise

Aren't you supposed to be asleep???

Well, do take it easy Sarah. I was just floored by your story. Hopefully, in no time at all it will be a distant memory. Being patient sux sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lise
    Amy, I just had to smile at the above quote next to the picture of a dachshund. Like I'm one to talk! I pictured a doxie working on form with those 3" legs.
    That is funny! We're always saying to the dogs, "you have no legs!". Big chest, no legs. Spinning would take on a whole new look.... "Worf! Where are the cookies?"

Anyway dachshunds wouldn't get anywhere on a bike. Consider what walking is like.

Walking a dachshund:
    Sprint 15 feet.
    Stop.
    Sniff.
    Pee.
    Sniff.
    2 minutes later.
    Sprint 15 feet.
    Stop.
    Sniff.
    Pee.
    Repeat.

Riding together at a common pace is of course difficult. We've decided we'd do a long but "slow" (for him - think 25 kmh or 15 mph average - because I get quite a workout out of it) but long (again it's relative, only 100-130 km, which for you Nanci would be a shorty... ) ride on hilly terrain together on the weekend, and stop for lunch, pictures, etc. He carries the camera and I have given him a pictures "quota" to fill: 5 shots an hour at least. He hits the hills hard and waits for me at the top to take a picture of my sweaty self when I eventually get there. Others could be offended by this, but I find it cute, and it entertains him while he waits for me. I let him drop me except on flats with a headwind, in which case I'll ask for his protection and ride at a happy 35 km/h + enjoying the view of his bum. Sometimes at the end of the day he'll be tired enough that I'll even get to take a few pulls.

He's also very supportive of my involvement in the sport, and loves seeing me smiling my way through every ride.

All this to say that I now understand why someone would want to go very fast, and have hard time going slow. He still struggles with the "touring" mode, but he is finding it enjoyable, he's very proud of his pictures of deers, and I'm sure he'd be happy to rescue the occasional turtle if he'd have a chance. But that didn't come spontaneously to him, he has to learn it, just as I would have to learn to work my way up faster. Who would have known ?
    This is such a wonderful description of the give and take of a good relationship. Made me say, "Awww...."

Karen