Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Unhappy freezing fingers

I live in Canberra Australia and we are in the middle of winter. I am new to riding since last spring, so this is my first winter. This morning it was -5 celsius (23 fahrenheit) and i thought i would cry with the cold on my fingers.

I wore silk liners, then cheap synthetic gloves, then an outer, "weatherproof" cycling glove i bought from a cycling store here. I thought 3 layers would do it, but within a couple of kms i was almost crying with the pain.

So my point, given you guys have really cold weather in some regions over there too, can you give me any ideas on what gloves to wear. Apart from my fingers, I was fine cos i was all rugged up. I love riding so much, but am feeling depressed that i'll never find a finger solution. I have already bought 2 pairs of gloves from the bike shops in this city (you'd think they'd know about cold fingers), but they are just not cutting it.

Any help would be really appreciated.
    thanks, Thea

You might want to check this article:
    http://www.bicyclinglife.com/Recreat...tercycling.htm

Also check out http://www.icebike.org/

Lobster-claw mittens (basically three "fingers" instead of five) are great in the winter.

My Montreal winter-cycling friends also use something that I can't find online right now (not the season I guess) but it's like mittens that attach to your bike handlebars. They're really big, so you have to wear your gloves/mittens in them, and basically cut off the wind/rain/cold. They're great down to -15 C or so.

Check out the "pogies" on the Icebike web site (above) in the Clothing/Hands section.

I find crosscountry skiing gloves fine.

I never ride below freezing level because of the (23C tires + ice) equation. And Vancouver doesn't get very cold very often anyway. But if I was still in Montreal I think I'd give winter cycling a go.

Enjoy!!

Kitsune06 Guest
    This winter I did a good chunk of biking thru the snow... My suggestion is wool glomitts. They're wool half-finger gloves with a 'mitten' part that folds back over the back of your hand... and they're lined with polar fleece. I'm not sure if that'll help you, but if you wear your 'all season' gloves under them, your palms should stay warm enough to maintain heat in your fingers.

What I'd be more concerned about is how warm you're keeping your core and head. With adequate insulation in those areas, your extremeties (sp) should (yes, "should" doesn't always translate into real life) stay warm enough. Trek should have some ideas... she's from roughly the same area I'm originally from...

Quote Originally Posted by theav
    I live in Canberra Australia and we are in the middle of winter. I am new to riding since last spring, so this is my first winter. This morning it was -5 celsius (23 fahrenheit) and i thought i would cry with the cold on my fingers.
    Hi Thea
    Gotta love Canberra winters. Last time I was there it was -8 C definitely a bit nippy.
    Im with Grog try the Lobster type mittens. I have those for riding here in winter and my fingers keep pretty warm even when its snowing.

My family and I will be heading to Canberra to live in about a year so I guess those mittens will come in handy for riding there too.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

hey

Thanks for all the advice. I'll certainly look into the lobster-type gloves. hopefully our LBS have them here. It has given me hope to hear that others ride in colder weather and survive! Bit of a newbie to discussion groups.. .actually this was my first posting! So thanks for your patience if I mess things up.

Thea

down under

Hey there from perth!

Ohhh..i wanna ride round the ACT area as i've heard there are some great tracks!!

Now, about lobster type gloves, there's an option closer to us ozzies & kiwis..

http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/produc...I&category=ACC

I've not tried their lobster gloves as it's not that cold over here in perth & haven't checked out my lbs (that's local bike shop..) to see what wintry gloves they have...

Are you a mtn biker???

c

Get some of those hand warmers. They're available at most sporting goods stores. They put out their own heat. I put them on the tops of my hands inside my gloves. They keep my hands just right.

I read this thread and I marvel

I have enough trouble feeling like I am in control of gears and brakes wearing mid-weight, full-finger fleecey winter gloves

How you gals wear so many layers, and three finger mittens etc just stuns and impresses me...

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".