Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Uphill skills

Hybrid View

Gain ground on hills

I read an article in one of the british mags recently that pointed out something really obvious that I had never thought of before, about the need to be good at climbing:

To gain ground on another rider (to catch up a group to sit on or in a race) you need to put in 8 times the power to go twice as fast; assuming most of the slowing factors are wind and road resistance. But to gain on a climb since you are battling gravity more than wind and road resistance (of course they still play a part but proportionally less) you only have to double your power to double your speed.
    Pretty big pay-off don't you think?
    Get good on hills and you will always arrive home fresher than your pals.
    (Armstrong and Basso both started to win once they got good at climbing! Hey I can dream!)

here's my challenge

I'm not sure the camera quite captures its horrors, but here are two shots from the bottom looking up and the top looking down of 2/3 of my monster hill. At the top, it levels out, then makes a sharp left turn and then there's an S-shaped not quite as steep incline which curves around to the very top of the hill.

BTW -I'm mathematically challenged - how does one determine the percentage of incline/grade?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	themonsterhill1.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	949   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	themonsterhill2.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	950  

Quote Originally Posted by chartman64
    I'm not sure the camera quite captures its horrors, but here are two shots from the bottom looking up and the top looking down of 2/3 of my monster hill. At the top, it levels out, then makes a sharp left turn and then there's an S-shaped not quite as steep incline which curves around to the very top of the hill.

BTW -I'm mathematically challenged - how does one determine the percentage of incline/grade?
    Seeing the pics, my reflex was getting up from my chair That's definitely a hill I'd stand on, unless it would go on for more than, say, half a mile.

To measure the incline %, just know how much elevation you gain in how much distance. Example: if you gain 5 meters elevation over 100 meters distance, that's a 5% incline, 50 meters over 1 km is 5% too, whereas 100 meters over 1km is 10%. The metric system makes this much easier to calculate!!

I use this website to automatically calculate the incline.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/inclinedeclinegradecalc.html

And I usually get the changes in elevation and the distance from google earth which someone kindly recommended!

barb

I use this website to automatically calculate the incline.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/inclinedeclinegradecalc.html

And I usually get the changes in elevation and the distance from google earth which someone kindly recommended!

barb

Oooh, oooh, ooooh I want to try that hill! It would probably kick my butt but trying it every day for awhile would definately make me a much better climber!! That is one kick @ss hill!

Lightbulb hmmm - maybe I'm just a wuss!

OK - downloaded Google Earth, checked the values -- apparently nowhere near as steep as I thought. I ran the figures in the grade/incline calculator and my monster hill is actually only a 15% incline for a tenth of a mile.

Red face

a 15% incline is somthin' to train on. is that a stop sign at the bottom of the hill?
    i'm such a chicken on the descent......

Love Hills!!

First-mashing is a waste of muscle (my opinion)
    Second-weights, resistance training, squats what ever excercise that works for you- build your legs!!
    Third- no shame in the snake!!! the last technique we use (hubby, brother and some friends) before we decide to dismount the bike on steep inclines. the snake is going back and forth across the road in the pattern a snake would use to gain a little speed and rest the legs.

We ride our bikes in the White Mountains of Maine and have found a few good techniques.

1st- lightweight bikes lots of gears!! Downshift as you need comfort -no mashing. As someone else mentioned shift up a few and stand for a bit, when you sit shift down as you need. Try to keep a bit in reserve. You can use this a few times on steep hills.

2nd- spin up sitting up in control without losing momentum straight not bouncing in your seat!

3rd- the snake!!! It is less shame than walking!!

It all works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by petals
    First-mashing is a waste of muscle (my opinion)
    Second-weights, resistance training, squats what ever excercise that works for you- build your legs!!
    Agree 100%. Mashing trashes your legs and can hurt your knees. Keep pedaling in a circle. You may have to shift to easier gears than normal but once you get it (teach your legs - it's call muscle memory) you will fly up inclines.

Bulgarian split squats. Try it - you don't need a gym. C'mon. I see you out there. Drop the donut & follow me:

First, put a chair parallel to a wall, table, etc., so you can balance yourself. Stand with your back a couple of feet from the chair. Bend one leg & place the top of your foot on the chair. Get ready to reach for the table/wall, etc. Now, lunge with your opposite leg (that would be the one on the floor.) Don't let your knee travel past the top of your foot & practice pushing back with your glute. Great for quads, your core & your booty.

Seated hamstring curls, if you have access to a gym. Best thing that mimics pulling back on the pedal.

Of course, the best way to get stronger climbing hills is to climb hills.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid