Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Talking It's been a long time - how to shop?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I did a lot of cycling until about fifteen years ago. I’d like to get back into it, so I’m going to have to start the shopping experience. I’ve been reading here and elsewhere – I really appreciate all the advice here.

But I haven’t been on a bike in years! Any ideas on how to make sense of this “cold”? Do bike shops let you ride for very long? When do they do the sizing thing? Do they sort of just look at you and guess on which bikes to recommend? I figure the first day of this will feel awkward and not very satisfying. When I was a kid I just always had a bike.

I go to a gym regularly, and I'm reasonably in shape, for what it's worth.

I know it’s.... just like riding a bicycle.
    Someone had to say it
    But I do appreciate any advice.

DH did the talking for me since he had a lot of knowledge about components, etc....

Your LBS should ask you what your intentions are (centuries, recreation, racing, etc) and have a good idea of what fit you need by your build. The LBS looked at my build and immediately determined I would be best on WSD, then explained why this was my best choice. Our LBS let you take it for a short ride (although they may allow longer). They then put you up on your bike on a trainer and spent about 45 minutes getting everything where it should be. Make sure you wear (bring) cycling clothes. My advice would be to speak up. Think of it like buying a car, ask questions and don't let them pressure you. Hope that helps.

The LBS's I checked out when looking for a bike all let me take the bike out for as long as I wanted. I spent at least 30 minutes on each bike if not more. That way I could really see how it felt. I'm glad I did. One bike that I really liked and "thought" was a good fit was horrible when I tried standing climbs--it just felt wobbly. I think the frame was too small and I didn't get good balance when standing. So ride it around, and do all the things you do on a bike. They shouldn't care about the time, unless it's almost closing time.

Good luck. Try lots of bikes!
    Whoever said last man standing wins never asked a girl to play!

That's very helpful, thanks!

I've been doing some reading, and went to one store (during lunch at work... no riding.) Things have changed slightly in 15 years:

Clusters have up to 10 cogs now?? I'm trying not to be shocked at this.

Campy shifters have the ability to shift from highest to lowest gear in one operation. That was cool. (I honestly had to remember the right-left / front / back deal with shifting. Good thing I was just standing in the store.)

Bianchis are still really cool looking, and still come in Celeste. And still come with steel frames. Good for getting my bearings a little. I've never heard of any of the other brands except Trek. They didn't carry Trek at this store, however. Interesting. (Pacific Bicycles in SF)

Clipless pedals are pretty bizarre looking, but I've read more about them and I don't feel so much like they came from Mars.

The handlebars and stems used to be chrome (colored), now they're all black - I guess they use carbon here?

This is kind of like going back to an old neighborhood where some of the houses have been remodeled, and they've all been repainted. Weird and familiar at the same time.

Amy