Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

No power, what to do?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Anyone else experiance (experiancing) the power outage from yesterday that hit southern Ontario and New York? I'm at work right now, and the power's back on, but there's some things missing. I actually can't get onto the server I need to work on so I'm dead in the water, but the plant is up and running (I'm at a manufacturing plant). The worst is that I live only a couple of minutes up the road (5 min bike ride) and my house has no power. What a kick in the pants when I decided I'd drag myself out of bed, assuming that I'd just pick up some things from work and head back home (and go riding ) and things are running here (except for what I need ).

Well, I guess if the power comes back on in my little housing block I'll have to run to the grocery store after work, too much stuff ruined in the fridge already.

I feel for you!! Most of Raleigh lost power last year after an ice storm and it took over a week for our neighborhood to get power back!! Hotels were booked up and friends were already overfilled with family needing places to stay, so we stays at my roomates law firm and bathed in the sink.

You are definately in my thoughts! I hope they get your home power back on soon!! and doesn't it make your day that they were able to restore power to your work place, but not your home.

Yikes, at least this power outage is during a heat wave rather than an ice storm. It's really not that big of a problem, there's power in a few spots through the city, probably the utilities have it, and my big plans after work consists of biking.

It's just the food thing, I don't have much that you can eat without cooking, and that I'll have to clean out my fridge and freezer after work. Bah, and I'm still having server problems at work.

I'm just glad that I'm in a smaller city and I was biking home when the power went out rather than in a subway or train around Toronto.

Glad that not to many others were affected by this, it seemed to have made a mess last night in the larger urban areas.

Yes - I heard about it this morning on TV. I can't believe it's affected such a huge number of people. Still, good job it's the summer. They had pictures on the BBC News website of people in New York just sleeping out on the streets because they couldn't get home.

Maybe you should hitch the bike up on the home trainer and get the watts flowing. You never know, if you go fast enough you might just be able to fry an egg!

But seriously - hope everyone without power is ok.

Good luck!! I had the same problem - with food to cook, and no place to cook it. Ice buildup caused a tree to fall on the gas grill and my camping stove was in the attic!! After it got so cold my fish froze in a tank right beside the fire place I decided it wouldn't make that much difference to open the attic up to get the stove.

The funny part of the whole deal is that we have extra phone books that we keep meaning to take to the recycle center...but I burned the current phone book by mistake! It was cold!! Learned my lesson and now I keep plenty of firewood!!

Can you go to a neighbor and have a cookout?? Use their grill and share your food?

Hmmm, just got back from lunch, some of the students that I'm working with have power at their places. I'll grab anything perishable that is still good when I get home and run over to their place. There'll be some good eating tonight (at least in term of volume).