Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To disable ads, please log-in.

I just went on my very 1st bike ride! I only rode 4 miles but I did it in 17 minutes! It started raining, so we had to quit. I have ordered my bike, too. I decided to get the TREK 1500 with Ultegra components. I should get it Thursday! I am so excited! In the meantime, I am borrowing a friend's bike. Can't wait to get mine.

I know I have read here that starting with the clipless pedals is the right thing to do; but the bike shop owner suggested the strapless? pedals for the 1st month until I become accustomed to getting on and off the bike and switching gears. The kind he is talking about have to be "twisted" just like clipless, so I'll get practice.

OK, I am rambling, I know! I am just so excited!

One note for new riders that I found out today: EAT SOMETHING BEFORE YOU GO RIDING! I was weak by the time I got off the bike! Probably not a good thing that I have been doing the carb free diet for 5 months now and didn't add any back in before riding!

Kim in TN

If you intend to do any riding of any length, you'll need to add some carbs back into your diet. Bonking is really a drag.

Congrats on your new love! Straps (aka "clips") are OK and if they come with the bike, probably a good idea. You'll want to graduate to clipless eventually. For now, practice good pedal strokes (pedal in a circle, much easier to do with clipless) so you teach your muscles good habits. Go slowly (e.g., don't increase your mileage drastically) so you don't get hurt. Your tendons and ligaments will take longer to get strong than your muscles. Spin, spin spin. Don't push big gears yet - let your body adjust.

And keep in touch with this board. Lots of good advice from womyn who have been around (like a bicycle wheel...get it? OK - big groan...)
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

OK........now that I have to radically change my diet......again! What carbs are ok and when do you eat them? I am terrified of adding them back into my diet. I lost 40# in the last 5 months and don't want to gain any of it back!

I will definitely go to clipless within a month. He suggested waiting until I am comfortable on the bike first. I have a great friend who is being very patient with me; teaching me about cycling! She is a God-send!

Hi there! I've been wary of the carbs over the seven years when I've been more into weight lifting than anything else. Since I've bought my bike a couple of months ago, I've totally flipflopped my diet. I'm taking in 55 to 60% carbs each day. I feel like I need them to ride. I haven't gained any weight -- in fact, my bodyfat has lowered a bit. The day before my long rides (so far 38 miles is the tops), I eat a lot more food than I do normally. Probably about 500 to 700 calories more. I definitely need that fuel when I'm out on my long ride.

As far as the clipless pedals go -- when you feel comfortable enough to give them a try, you might want to check out Speedplays. I love them. I tried the Look brand and fell about 7 times trying to get out of the things -- they were a lot more stiff in the unclipping. I can get the Speedplays out easily.

Good question about carbs. Be sure they are low glycemic so that they don't spike your blood sugar. There are lots of lists on the web, but basically low glycemic carbs are whole grains, vegetables & some fruits. If you add a bit of fat (e.g., oatmeal with a bit of butter) that will further slow down the glycemic affect.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

I have totally illiminated white flour products from my diet. I have read here that some people load up on pasta the day before a long ride or race. I just can't eat that stuff any more!

What specifically should I add into my diet to increase carbs without adding sugar? It seems people carry high sugar foods with them when they ride, too (candy bars, power bars, etc.). What are some alternatives?

You don't have to buy white flour pasta. I buy whole wheat. It's delicious! There's also 7 grain breads, oatmeal, wild rice, brown rice, etc.

Originally posted by hibiscus09
    Hi there! I've been wary of the carbs over the seven years when I've been more into weight lifting than anything else. Since I've bought my bike a couple of months ago, I've totally flipflopped my diet. I'm taking in 55 to 60% carbs each day. I feel like I need them to ride. I haven't gained any weight -- in fact, my bodyfat has lowered a bit. The day before my long rides (so far 38 miles is the tops), I eat a lot more food than I do normally. Probably about 500 to 700 calories more. I definitely need that fuel when I'm out on my long ride.

what she said. I don't eat a lot of carbs either EXCEPT when I know I am going to ride ( the day before) and during, and some for recovery. Quality of the carbs is critical... a donut vs a WW no sugar added fig bar for example. What you will notice is that you will have no staying power or energy at all without carbohydrate intake.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

I have a hard time with surgary stuff too, but someone recommended that I try honey when I ride. I didn't think I'd be able to do it without feeling sick but it's great!! As long as I do use the energy I feel fine.

Originally posted by Grasshopper
    I have a hard time with surgary stuff too, but someone recommended that I try honey when I ride. I didn't think I'd be able to do it without feeling sick but it's great!! As long as I do use the energy I feel fine.
    How do you carry the honey with you? I assume that it has a similar effect as those shots you can get from Powerbar, Cliff, etc, but the packaging of those makes them look so much easier to deal with (but the price is something that I can do without).

assassin-X

I bought a gu flasks - but beware! I got my tongue stuck in the lid one day and almost killed myself!! Blood everywhere!

I really like having it around - and I've even used it as my "reward" for making it to the top of a hill. That might not be a good idea over all but it's working so far.

you get honey packets from restaurants.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

I have a hard time with straight glucose - I get really wired & then I crash. My advice is to experiment. Cytomax works really well for me, but others on this board have said it wires them. Everybody is different!

The thing about whole grains is that you get vitamins as well as fiber. The fiber helps slow down the release of glucose into your bloodstream. White, processed anything has no fiber and some vitamins added back in - but "ain't nothin' like the real thing baby!"

Lots of people swear by fig newtons - less expensive than power bars and if you can get them at a health food store made with WW flour, probably better for you.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

I've been having oatmeal before I ride & then a Power Gel and half of a banana on long rides (at 2 different times), but I don't really care for those gels too much. I hadn't thought of looking for healthier fig cookies at the health food store -- that's a good idea. I had just bought the regular fig newtons but those are a little sweet for me when I'm riding hard.