Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1146 of 1165 FirstFirst ... 1466461046109611361142114311441145114611471148114911501156 ... LastLast
Results 17,176 to 17,190 of 17471

Thread: Thread Drift

To disable ads, please log-in.

We've always been minimalists, but we still have stuff. I have no trouble throwing stuff out, and it's hard for me sometimes to work with clients who are really organizationally challenged and want help ridding themselves of stuff. I help them prioritize, make a plan, give them sources to donate, and then they "can't."
    Moving to our condo helped get rid of stuff. But, we started 5 years ago, knowing we would eventually downsize. We have a huge basement, so there's an area for DH's shop, our bike stuff, some boxes of stuff that we use occasionally, and shelves holding lots of random stuff, and the laundry area. I made sure I labeled the boxes very specifically, with contents and where the stuff was in the house, so if I needed it, I could find it. And I have had to get stuff out of there at least 3 times since March.
    I get rid of clothing every fall/spring when I move my woolens into my closet. However, I've pared down so much, that this year, I had very little to donate. I go through my cycling/ athletic apparel in the winter. I have a lot of clothes, but I am much better at not buying trendy stuff.
    Of course, I am anally organized and DH is worse. I plan my meals for the week, and make my grocery list accordingly. I buy stuff in advance when I have one left (like health and beauty stuff, household cleaners). I don't like clutter or "chatchkes" and I have very little emotional attachment to "stuff." I've moved 8 times since I got married in 1979, so I have a system for all of that, too. What helped is that we have only had one other house with a basement, so really, not much room to accumulate too much. Most of our stuff revolves around sports equipment, now.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I used to have tons of books. I got rid of most of them. The remaining ones are mostly in storage now, so contractors can move the bookshelves around. I suspect I will purge a few more when I eventually get them back home. But most of the ones I've kept are the ones that are meaningful.

I'm also planning to go through the DVDs and CDs again soon. I got rid of a lot of kitchen stuff after that renovation and am now working on improving the way I store things in the pantry and some of the cabinets. I'm hoping to find a drawer or shelf, maybe two, that I can use for stuff that doesn't necessarily go in the kitchen, like the box of appliance manuals or some of the financial paperwork that you're supposed to keep for a certain number of years.

Then there are the underbed storage bins, three of them. I have no linen closet, so I keep sheets, towels and blankets in them. There are plenty of old towels so I could probably get rid of some. The thing is that some of the stuff there does get used every few years, when I have visitors in the winter and they need blankets.

One problem I have with getting rid of stuff is that I don't like to throw things in the trash if they are still useful to someone. Hence the giant pile of stuff in the living room that is waiting to go to Good Will. And I also try to recycle as much as possible, including electronics items. It takes more time than just putting things out in the trash but I think it's worth it. Probably the hardest part is that the drop-off hours at our local recycling places conflict with my weekend bike rides.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

My cheap smartphone is just not cutting it anymore. For about two days, it couldn't access the 16G microSD with all my music file or store any pictures. I like Virgin Mobile pay as you go service. I could upgrade to iPhone5s for $200.00 or switch to Google project Fi using Nexus 5X for the same price. monthly fee is going to be less for me because I don't really use data all that much. I had two of the same smartphone one was in the box for few years till the first one broke. It broke about a year ago. Second one is now acting up... well each one cost me less than $50.00 and I've had the two for over 5 years.

Current smart phone keeps crashing or freezes with square software when someone is trying to charge for items purchased from us at a farmers market. Very very irritating. I've lost several sales because of it.

pros of project Fi: It uses ATT or Sprint network I think. the machine chooses the best signal available.
    it can tether laptops and other machine as a hotspot so no need to get a separate personal hot spot service (unlike Virgin Mobile).

cons: google collects all your information including your address books (most likely) and just about everything else. But they already do that with my android smart phone when I had to download square (cash register) app from google store.

hmmm... The $200 offer for Nexus 5x from project fi will end on Aug. 11...

What to do what to do... not thrilled about carrying something that big or trying to take or make phone calls. But the bigger screen allows people who are charging on their credit card a bigger space to sign (Bigger screen).

I think I need to talk to my uber-geek friend in Silicon Valley. Oh BTW his Tesla got hit by a driver who was most likely playing PokemanGo. Repair cost to his Tesla, $26K.

So $26k in damages is not enough to total a Tesla? Yikes.

I'm thinking about finally getting a new smartphone after 4 years with the current Motorola Droid Razr Maxx, which has gotten very slow. For various reasons I'm looking at another Motorola, and planning to stay with Verizon.

I totally agree on not wanting a big phone. But since it' something you use for selling at the farmer's market, I'd say the bigger screen might be a good thing.

Gone but not forgotten:

I don't want a "big phone." I am happy with my I Phone 5S.
    Big news. Daughter in law is in labor. Her water broke last night, she thought she was peeing in the bed... oy. Went to hospital this morning, definitely in labor, but it is not progressing quite as fast as they want, so she will be getting a dose of pitocin soon. Right now, DS is ordering her a pizza... they said it will be awhile, and she can eat.
    So, Ms. Lilly will most likely arrive on August 4.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Crankin - so cool, you're gonna be a grandma!!

Electra Townie 7D

Crankin that IS COOL! Congratulations and may everyone be fine

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    One problem I have with getting rid of stuff is that I don't like to throw things in the trash if they are still useful to someone. Hence the giant pile of stuff in the living room that is waiting to go to Good Will. And I also try to recycle as much as possible, including electronics items. It takes more time than just putting things out in the trash but I think it's worth it. Probably the hardest part is that the drop-off hours at our local recycling places conflict with my weekend bike rides.
    This is totally us. When we were downsizing to move from a 4 BR house to an apartment in 2010 and then again to move to Belize in 2011, we made so many trips to Goodwill, various types of recycling places, and we sold as much as we were able on craigslist and ebay. It took a ton of time and energy, but I just hate to throw things out if they might be useful! However, when we cleaned out my DH's parents' home so they could move to assisted living, we had a much shorter timeframe so in addition to giving wanted items to family members and many donations, we filled two driveway dumpsters with trash. There was just too much to go through and too little time to organize a sale (plus no one in the family wanted to have one, and they didn't have enough good stuff for an estate sale). I felt guilty about that but was glad we were able to donate as much as we did. If DH and I hadn't been there, it would have all gotten thrown out since other family members just wanted it over with (and are not the environmentalists we are!)
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

We have an awesome business here, called Household Goods, in Acton. It was started by an older couple, and is almost entirely volunteer run. They take all furniture and anything you might need to se up housekeeping: dishes, wall prints, kitchen stuff. Clients get a referral from a social service agency to go there, or have to be on some kind of benefits. Many times, they are people moving into housing after being in a shelter. We donated some things there. They have a truck, but it only comes to each area once a week, and they are often scheduled way in advance. So, it's easier to bring the stuff there, if you can. I have had many friends and clients volunteer there (some court mandated!), and they all say it is amazing to watch people picking out some really nice stuff to set up a house.
    We also have a permanent Goodwill truck set up in the parking lot of a local shopping center. There is a guy there, who gives receipts if you want. I am amazed that when I do my 2X a year clothing drop-off, there are people waiting in line, often 2-3 cars. I don't get a receipt, so I just throw the bags on the steps and leave.
    FYI, you can drop off electronics to recycle at Best Buy, and they give you a coupon for 10.00 when you do. Electronic recycling day in our town interferred with the start of one of our annual rides (like, the road of our start location was blocked), so we have doing Best Buy for at least 10 years. And, we moved the ride to another town...
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Baby arrived around 7:45 am by c section, after a day of labor that was not progressing. Everyone is fine.
    7 lbs, 9 oz, a giant for our family. She looks like my son.
    We will go see her tonight, after the rush hour dies down.
    One down, one to go!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Yay!!! Congrats to you and your family, Crankin!!

Electra Townie 7D

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2579.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	18118
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Aww, look at that little puddin'!!

Electra Townie 7D

Oh my gosh! What a sweet sweet face! Congratulations to you! (and your son and daughter in law)

Congratulations Crankin! (And ouch, a c-section *after* a day of labor. )

Gone but not forgotten: