Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1080 of 1165 FirstFirst ... 805809801030107010761077107810791080108110821083108410901130 ... LastLast
Results 16,186 to 16,200 of 17471

Thread: Thread Drift

To disable ads, please log-in.

That cracked me up Oak!! And sweet new ride, love those lighter weight bikes.

Electra Townie 7D

Glad your ride went well, Oak. I hate to see people give up on cycling, even if it's their secondary sport!
    Leaving tomorrow afternoon for Franconia, NH and 2 days of cross country skiing. So excited!!!!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Wow! You really wanted that bike
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Crankin
    Love the Franconia area. Such a beautiful place. Visited mostly during fall camping.

I've never been there in the fall, but mostly in the winter, a couple of times in summer. Probably will be x country skiing at Bretton Woods, they seem to be able to groom the trails well, even in low snow conditions. I like it up there, too, but it took me many years to get over NH's horrible politics and actually spend my $ there. I know, silly, but there is something wrong with a state that doesn't have free mandatory kindergarten! I prefer Vermont.
    It's going to snow at home while we're gone. We will be coming home to a mess to clean up. We have a guy that plows our access driveway, but not in front of the house. I foresee several trips of carrying my gear down the hill because DH will not drive on the snow before he blows it.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Since I don't know much about "deeper" politics, I am a fan of VT, NH and MA. Grass is always greener on the other side. hihi We are so close to any of those States that this is where we spend most of our vacation. We have booked (last July) for Boston area this coming July (for a month) but are thinking cancelling and visiting Canada this time. Our exchange rate is nearing 30% (with credit card fee). That is a lot of "wasted" money. Also the gas has never been this low for us (now is just under $1/liter = nearing 4$gallon US for you). So cheaper gas for us, and higher exchange rate may be time to visit our own country. But nothing interests us in QC, so we are left with Ontario. Most places we know so we'd have to head west and no fan of flat prairies.

I think we will see a lot of USA plates in QC/Ontario this summer too....and USA will see less of those Canadian ones. Bummer. Good for Canada economy but bad for my own trips. hihi

Enjoy the shoveling on your return home. Our weather is sunny and warmer thant what we had laterly so far until Wed. We'll take it.
    Last edited by Helene2013; 01-23-2015 at 08:27 AM. Reason: added word missing to make sense

Regarding socializing - I enjoy a dinner out with friends, can make small talk, etc., but would really rather be home with a good book or NBA game.

So, how do you deal with the "research" that says people with lots of social connections are happier, live longer, etc.?
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

But you still may have a very high connection network, just different. Just that you choose how you want to use it. No?

I feel I am very happy, my life is the way I like it (ok...it would be more fun to be retired and do what I want when I want - but you also need some cash for this. haha), even if it meant "dumping" friends (at least those who brought less to us - both ways) because of lack of time.

Seriously, we generally set our priorities where we want right? If I did not spend the time on a computer or TV (example!) I would have more time for other stuff right?

How many of us just crash on sofa (or bed) as soon as dinner and evening chores are done? Even if early in evening? I raise my hand!

I'm just too tired after a work's day and taking care of things at home when I get there that once dinner is over, pets fed (and walked or groomed, etc.) I just need my hot bath and zombie before hitting the sack at 9pm, if not earlier. Forget me if you want to go out to a bar or visit for a coffee/chat on weeknights! It used to be like this in our "previous" life. We are getting old I guess. haha

So the "research" about happier and living longer people with lots of "network friends", I don't know what to think about it. The world is also changing with the internet. I can't recall the last time I have seen a family gathering with them playing board games like we used to. Times are changing and social meets too I suppose.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Let me know, Helene if you need info/opinion on areas in Rocky Mtns., British Columbia. I think people in Ontario forget/may not know there's a ton of national and provincial parks from Banff National Park and going west... What is interesting for myself as an ex-Ontarion (lst 45 yrs.) is that long time Albertans really don't have much interest in vacationing Ontario/Quebec unless they have family/friends. They like heading to numerous, closer wilderness areas, Okanagan wine country, coastal B.C.

VAncouverites on the other hand may tend to consider Toronto but then get "lazy"/save money to enjoy more of British Columbia or head over to Hawaii. (You don't find Vancouverites interested in Arizona at all. But Calgarians will look to that state for warmth.)
    Last edited by shootingstar; 01-23-2015 at 06:35 AM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Thanks Shooting Star. We won't be going that far west this time. Been to California (by car) in 2006 but with only a month of vacation time (in motorhome), that would be not enough time to do all and relax. We can't really drive more than 400km per day with a motorhome. One driver and it is tiring as you need all your senses alert all the time.

My dream is to retire in the Okanagan. Never been there but was told so much good about it. I have a cousin who lives in Kelowna and knows the area and our big boss lives in Calgary and knows that area very well too. Only good words. So need to pay a visit before. hihi That big boss who lives in Calgary, flies to Arizona very often. They bought a cottage as they are golfers.

We don't know yet our plans for vacation, other than maybe going back to that Boston area for the 5th year in a row. Time to travel I think as we got bored last summer. Especially after seeing those gorgeous pictures here on the board. Been across the USA and my heart was for 1) Nashville - good friend lives there 2) Colorado. I never get enough 3) Arizona. What spectaculor scenary. But 1 and 3 are too hot in the summer when we have our vacation (mid-july).

So we're still in planning mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmama View Post
    Regarding socializing - I enjoy a dinner out with friends, can make small talk, etc., but would really rather be home with a good book or NBA game.

So, how do you deal with the "research" that says people with lots of social connections are happier, live longer, etc.?
    Does the research really say "lots"? I would think that it would be more about the quality of social connections rather than the quantity.

Interesting how quite a few regulars here identify as introverted or really enjoying/needing solitude. Count me among them.
    2014 Bobbin Bramble / Brooks B67
    2008 Rodriguez Rainier Mirage / Terry Butterfly Tri Gel
    2007 Dahon Speed Pro TT / Biologic Velvet
    1998? GT Rebound / Serfas Gel

I agree that quality probably is more important than quantity, at the same time having a certain number of friends makes one less vulnerable than having, say, only one close friend who fulfills almost all your social needs.
    I keep thinking I should be better at getting to know new people, if not all the time, at least every now and then. Like most Norwegians I take a looong time to really warm up to someone... ;-)
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

I'd expect that's true, but I think the more important part is that correlation is not causation, and obviously this isn't something you can do a randomized double-blinded prospective study on. I don't think introverts will magically become "healthier" if we force ourselves into uncomfortable social situations. I know for myself that too much of that and I'll start decompensating fast, and then I guarantee no one will want to be around me even if I wanted to be around them!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I can see if you have lots of friends/social connections that you'd be happier. I would think if you had lots of connections more of your needs/wants could be met. Example: your friend, Mary loves to bike, but has no interest in your love of horticulture, so for that you talk to Joe. Well, your friend Sam shares your love of Indian food, etc. etc. With a smaller social circle it's probably less likely you'll have someone for all your needs/interests.

However, you can count me among the introverts. Cycling club meeting once a month is about all the socialization I can stand.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Helene, come to Boston! We can ride together, or just go out to dinner. Seriously, so much to do in my own backyard.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura