Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Thread Drift

Hybrid View

Regarding socializing - I enjoy a dinner out with friends, can make small talk, etc., but would really rather be home with a good book or NBA game.

So, how do you deal with the "research" that says people with lots of social connections are happier, live longer, etc.?
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

But you still may have a very high connection network, just different. Just that you choose how you want to use it. No?

I feel I am very happy, my life is the way I like it (ok...it would be more fun to be retired and do what I want when I want - but you also need some cash for this. haha), even if it meant "dumping" friends (at least those who brought less to us - both ways) because of lack of time.

Seriously, we generally set our priorities where we want right? If I did not spend the time on a computer or TV (example!) I would have more time for other stuff right?

How many of us just crash on sofa (or bed) as soon as dinner and evening chores are done? Even if early in evening? I raise my hand!

I'm just too tired after a work's day and taking care of things at home when I get there that once dinner is over, pets fed (and walked or groomed, etc.) I just need my hot bath and zombie before hitting the sack at 9pm, if not earlier. Forget me if you want to go out to a bar or visit for a coffee/chat on weeknights! It used to be like this in our "previous" life. We are getting old I guess. haha

So the "research" about happier and living longer people with lots of "network friends", I don't know what to think about it. The world is also changing with the internet. I can't recall the last time I have seen a family gathering with them playing board games like we used to. Times are changing and social meets too I suppose.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Let me know, Helene if you need info/opinion on areas in Rocky Mtns., British Columbia. I think people in Ontario forget/may not know there's a ton of national and provincial parks from Banff National Park and going west... What is interesting for myself as an ex-Ontarion (lst 45 yrs.) is that long time Albertans really don't have much interest in vacationing Ontario/Quebec unless they have family/friends. They like heading to numerous, closer wilderness areas, Okanagan wine country, coastal B.C.

VAncouverites on the other hand may tend to consider Toronto but then get "lazy"/save money to enjoy more of British Columbia or head over to Hawaii. (You don't find Vancouverites interested in Arizona at all. But Calgarians will look to that state for warmth.)
    Last edited by shootingstar; 01-23-2015 at 06:35 AM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Thanks Shooting Star. We won't be going that far west this time. Been to California (by car) in 2006 but with only a month of vacation time (in motorhome), that would be not enough time to do all and relax. We can't really drive more than 400km per day with a motorhome. One driver and it is tiring as you need all your senses alert all the time.

My dream is to retire in the Okanagan. Never been there but was told so much good about it. I have a cousin who lives in Kelowna and knows the area and our big boss lives in Calgary and knows that area very well too. Only good words. So need to pay a visit before. hihi That big boss who lives in Calgary, flies to Arizona very often. They bought a cottage as they are golfers.

We don't know yet our plans for vacation, other than maybe going back to that Boston area for the 5th year in a row. Time to travel I think as we got bored last summer. Especially after seeing those gorgeous pictures here on the board. Been across the USA and my heart was for 1) Nashville - good friend lives there 2) Colorado. I never get enough 3) Arizona. What spectaculor scenary. But 1 and 3 are too hot in the summer when we have our vacation (mid-july).

So we're still in planning mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmama View Post
    Regarding socializing - I enjoy a dinner out with friends, can make small talk, etc., but would really rather be home with a good book or NBA game.

So, how do you deal with the "research" that says people with lots of social connections are happier, live longer, etc.?
    Does the research really say "lots"? I would think that it would be more about the quality of social connections rather than the quantity.

Interesting how quite a few regulars here identify as introverted or really enjoying/needing solitude. Count me among them.
    2014 Bobbin Bramble / Brooks B67
    2008 Rodriguez Rainier Mirage / Terry Butterfly Tri Gel
    2007 Dahon Speed Pro TT / Biologic Velvet
    1998? GT Rebound / Serfas Gel