Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At last...

Smile At last...

To disable ads, please log-in.

OK ladies, I know this is nothing for most of you, but today, I finally mastered the art (science?) of tire changing. I've been to a class and had several lessons from my husband, but I just could never remember what to do next. I think I've mentioned that I am somewhat of a mechanical dunce, not to mention my spatial skills are non-existent. But, I am a trip leader and even though I lead with my husband, I don't want to be a "helpless" woman. Plus, I have the luxury of being off all summer, but I rarely have done long rides, over 25 miles, alone, because I was freaked out about flatting. Now I feel pretty confident.

What a way to spend a spring break morning. Now on to getting the back wheel off without breaking the derailleur.

Sweet! Did you master this just by doing it a bunch this week or did you take another class? I have to get better at it. I've only flatted once, in the front, and would really have trouble with the rear, I think.

I'm going to be practicing over the weekend and try to do it in <10 minutes at the end of my presentation... but I am going to bring the box the tube comes in... and follow the directions!

(Otherwise I'm afraid I *still* forget the sequence of the steps... or to check for glass...)

Fortunately, I know this rim - that little tyre pops right off and on. (Alas, it is not long for this bike's hind parts - it's the one I'm getting replaced.)

THat and I have to *find* the directions for the blender...

Good for you! It's such an important skill to have... I have become adept at it but it happened the hard way... I was out... alone and flatted. I had done it once in the garage but it had been a while.

It took me a looooooong time to change that tube, but I got 'er done! Of course, I flatted 8 more times during the next 3 weeks... which made me VERY proficient at changing flats. After the 9th one I went directly to the LBS and bought Gatorskins.
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

Yea my son had to use gatorskins in Tucson. Actually, I have never had a flat out on the road; just 2 in the basement, of my own doing (don't ask!). I don't ride in the rain and the roads around here are fairly free of debris; I'm a fairly cautious rider, though not wimpy.

I just practiced all morning until I "got" it. I used the old wheel from the bike I used to have. I went back and practiced the back wheel removal; first time was a disaster, but my husband came home and gave me some pointers and I was able to do it the second time without totally mangling the chain.

I am going to an American League of Bicyclists class for Intermediate/Advanced cyclists in a couple of weeks. Hopefully, I will get more hands on practice there.

Robyn- Here's another trick for back wheel changes-

BEFORE you take the wheel off the bike get the chain wheel into the smallest chainring on the front and the smallest cog on the back. That way you get the most slack on your chain. Best to have someone around so you can have them hold up the back wheel while you do the shifting. Works like a charm and makes the wheel easier to get on afterwards!
    Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by Bike Goddess
    Robyn- Here's another trick for back wheel changes-

BEFORE you take the wheel off the bike get the chain wheel into the smallest chainring on the front and the smallest cog on the back. That way you get the most slack on your chain. Best to have someone around so you can have them hold up the back wheel while you do the shifting. Works like a charm and makes the wheel easier to get on afterwards!
    Actually, you don't need to hold the rear wheel up while you shift. Just throw your shifter repeatedly until you would be on the smallest cog, then lift the wheel and spin the crank. The chain will move across all the gears to the smallest cog in short order. Pullling back on the rear derailleur as you extract and reinsert the wheel is also helpful.

Yes, Deb, I already know how to do that. The problem was when I went to put it back on, I didn't seat the chain correctly on the right cog and it twisted....
    R

Don't know if you'll want to do this or not, but I wrote down the steps and carried them in my trunk bag till I was sure I had them.

Great for you Robyn. I am very much looking forward to learning more skills too. The local bike club offers classes that I will catch in May.

The more you do it, the easier it becomes. Our Tues pm group ride was only about 9 people this week, and the group pretty quickly split into the boys and the girls. I had a flat--no problem--I was fixing it and two other ladies were helping and visiting w/me. Another of the guys who was late for the ride went blasting by and didn't even look at us! He most certainly saw us. What has happened to chivalry? You'd think he'd have at least asked if we needed help. We'd have declined his offer, but I at least wanted the offer! I hope I see him with a flat one day soon......

Give him the benefit of the doubt - he sized it up from a distance and knew you all had it under control! He may well have stopped for somebody by himself. (Why should chivalry be limited to the female gender?)

Quote Originally Posted by salsabike
    Don't know if you'll want to do this or not, but I wrote down the steps and carried them in my trunk bag till I was sure I had them.
    I really like this idea... I haven't had to change many tyres - 3 to be precise, and each time with my partner... I'm really paranoid about doing it on my own - and given that most of my training I do on my own, this is a matter of when, not if...

Thanks Salsa

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

That's great Robyn! I learned the hard way...on the road. But thankfully a short distance from home so got a lift home. I actually looked up Team Estrogen's link on changing a flat that day, and it helped a ton! Have had a few flats since--all on the back tire.

Like you, I experience spatial reasoning issues at times, though...I figured out the small cogs trick, but for the life of me cannot figure out where to use a rag to lift the chain (to keep my hands clean(er)) Maybe it's because my flats are 50/50 between on a bike stand and upside down on the roadside...so I'd get it all backwards if I could remember!!

Have fun at that class? Who are you a ride leader for? A local club?

Hi Stacy,

I lead for the bicycling group of the Boston chapter of the Appalachian Mountain Club. It's purely social, not like a typical bike club. Though we do have Tues. (beginner) and Thurs (int/advanced) night rides starting in May, that I think are a little more like typical club rides. Steve and I lead day trips that usually involve some type of stop for lunch or ice cream. Our first one is June 11th, leaves from West Acton and goes through some pretty scenery to Sudbury and the Grist Mill/Wayside Inn area and back. Since we are starting the ride from a different place this year and I have to redo the cue sheet, I estimate that it will be about 35-38 miles. Let me know if you want to come. You don't have to be a member.