Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Chicago Lakefront, south path

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi, ladies--I'm thinking fuji & beta, but may have forgotten some Chicagoan--I have my gorgeous new Bianchi Veloche and am eager to ride her fast and unimpeded now that the weather's getting better. As we've discussed, the north part of the path can be obnxious for biking, with the strollers, roller bladers, etc. I live a bit NW of downtown, about 7 miles from Navy Pier. The path around the Pier is the worst bit, of course. So I am thinking of loading the bike on the rack and driving down to around Soldier Field, and then riding south on the path.

Any thoughts on the best place to park? I'm looking for fairly easy access and free (HA!), OK, meters that allow me to be gone for 2 hours without re-feeding. I think there's a yacht club sort of thing south of the museum campus that has meters, and shouldn't be too busy on a weekday. Any other thoughts? Thanks. L.
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

Hola

Hmmm...parking...parking....you can always try Columbus during the day, but I think there are some restrictions. They have those pay booth things now versus meters. You could try to park on the street south of roosevelt road, like on wabash or similar. Then cut over to the path on the street. I can't remember if there are meters down there or not. I don't think there are, at least everywhere.

Let me know if you want a riding buddy. I'm down in the city wed, thrus and friday for school. Wed and Fri I get out at 3pm, so maybe we could meet up.

Good luck!
    "Only the meek get pinched, the bold survive"

Beta--I'll PM you. L.
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

Maybe you could pop down to McCormick Place, there's tons of parking all around it.

Electra Townie 7D

Parking

Parking in the city is always horrible. PM me too if you want to go riding - I live right by the lake, off Ontario. If you want to park farther north, there is a parking lot right next to the tennis courts at Irving Park road (or maybe it's Recreation dr.). Parking by downtown...there's the Grant Park parking garage, as well as rare parking spots on Columbus dr and LSD.

On weekends, you can park just north of Oak st beach on the side streets, like Walton, Scott, Astor. There's usually parking available if you look hard enough, and you don't need a permit on the weekends.
    Last edited by Fuji Girl; 04-05-2006 at 09:37 PM.

I believe there is metered and/or free parking at the 31st Street Beach. I believe you can only access it from the northbound lane of LSD, so you may have to exit and swing around.

Parking here, you have your choice of riding north or south and getting good mileage in. If you've ever ridden to Museum of Science and Industry, you've seen these lots that abutt the riding path but probably didn't make note of it.

I agree that the paths between Belmont Harbor and Navy Pier are awful. The only time to do serious riding is early morning any day of the week. I'm planning on two loops of Bike the Drive - starting promptly at 5.30 before the families take to the roads...!

Hmmmm, good thought. Thanks. I could do one or two loops, and then put the bike back on the car and go.

I'll be in Utah over the weekend, but have a great time on Bike the Drive!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

i totally agree with Bella, the only time to ride is 5:00 am to 6:30 in the morning (weekdays or you get those marathoner's and it just gets worse )..
    i personally enjoy riding the south path more... not as many runners and stupid people.
    parking...there is a bridge south of soilder field that leads over to 18th street (it might have some parking?)

have fun biking the drive twice, did that last year and it wiped me out Would do it again but out of town this weekend.

let me know if you go on any weekend rides, i have been wanting to find some gals to ride with.

[QUOTE=tri_jump]i totally agree with Bella, the only time to ride is 5:00 am to 6:30 in the morning (weekdays or you get those marathoner's and it just gets worse )..
    QUOTE]

Marathoners are tolerable. It's the Rollerbladers with their wide leg movements and flailing arms that scare me. But the ones with the wild dogs on leashes....I like those the best.

Oh! Tell me about it! I've ranted and raved on these boards about rollerbladers a couple of times. Worst ever:

Rollerblader on a cell phone. With a dog. And his arm in a cast. DUDE! Did you not learn from the broken arm incident?!?

Or the rollerbladers who think they're on SOOOOOOOOOOOOOoul Train and need to practice their routine side by side on the path. They treat "on your left" as an insult to their fabulousness, and take up more room in response.

I'm too cranky to ride the north section. Ever. Except maybe 5 AM. L.
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock