Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

So, you can spell better than I can. Niener-niener.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Quote Originally Posted by cindysue
    from merriam-webster (so, it's not Oxford)
    "one-upmanship"
    Pronunciation: "w&n-'&p-m&n-"ship
    Variant(s): also one-ups·man·ship /-'&ps-m&n-/
    Function: noun
    : the art or practice of outdoing or keeping one jump ahead of a friend or competitor <engaged in a round of verbal one-upmanship>
    CindySue - Tsk Tsk Tsk! Looking things up in the dictionary may LOOK like thesis work to the casual observer, but it does not fool us! Back to work, young lady!

BikerZ - good one!

Quote Originally Posted by bikerz
    CindySue - Tsk Tsk Tsk! Looking things up in the dictionary may LOOK like thesis work to the casual observer, but it does not fool us! Back to work, young lady!
    I know, I know. I need to shut myself in a room with no internet to distract me ...........
    Cheers!

Cindy

Team Luna Chix

We'll (the Benicia Bike Club) probably get there around 6:30ish. Some of us will be wearing argyle socks (red and yellow) so you can't miss us. That is, of course, if it's cold that morning. So if you see those socks be sure to say something! Most of us will be doing the double metric. I'll see how I feel at the lunch break as to whether I'll do the last loop off the century to get those extra miles in!

Looking forward to this ride.
    Nancy

Why do they do this?

Is it some plan hatched during happy hour?

Registration has closed. OK. Some reason why all the links to ride day info have been removed? Fortunately, I printed off some of the stuff but not the map to the Luther Burbank Center. So, now I have to go off and google this. Not a big deal, but I hope there isn't some other tidbit of info I'm missing.
    Last edited by SadieKate; 04-27-2006 at 12:04 PM.

I've emailed our webmaster and hope to have a link or the info back up soon. Let me know if you need info, I may have it in my head.

Deanna? MP?

Do I have the right place?

DELETING MY LINK SO I DON'T CONFOOZE ANYONE.

Stuff I printed out says check-in 6-7 am. Wish I could check in the night before but the Wonder Poodle hates being abandoned all night.
    Last edited by SadieKate; 04-27-2006 at 01:26 PM.

Thanks, Deana. I understand removing all links to registration but not to the info.

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate
    Deanna? MP?

Do I have the right place?

http://www.google.com/maps?hl=en&lr=...i=lmd&z=14&t=m

Stuff I printed out says check-in 6-7 am. Wish I could check in the night before but the Wonder Poodle hates being abandoned all night.

No!! I'm not even sure what that is. At first I thought it was Luther Burbank's home, but no. It's now called the Wells Fargo Performing Arts Center (change last month) and it's MUCH easier to get to:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...+Rosa,+CA&om=1

If my link doesn't work, the address is 50 Mark West Springs Rd.

Mark Springs Road is pretty easy to find. Also, there will be lots of bikes on cars to follow! The trick is to go all the way around the lot to the back. Less walk later on!

The center will be on your right not far from 101 if I remember correctly.
    Nancy

Thanks, Deanna.

Thanks, Nancy, but I'm not going to depend on being able to follow bikes on cars at 5:30 am. I'm going to be lucky if I'm able to follow anything.

I'm a sometimes rider (a frequent spinner, tho) and am wondering if you think it's okay to ride a new road bike in the Wine Country metric. I will have had the bike for about six days prior. Do you think that's enough time to get used to a new bike? I would ride it about 2 hours a day prior to the Santa Rosa ride. Thanks in advance.

What kind of bike have you been riding before this? Are you going, say, from an upright hybrid to a road bike?

How fit are you? Have you ever ridden a metric century before? What distance are you comfortable riding right now?

Do you have every reason to believe that this bike is going to fit you reasonably well from the onset, so that only minimal adjustments will be necessary to dial in the fit? Did you have someone who really knows what they are doing set up your bike for you? Do you know your body well enough to know what kind of adjustments you will need to make it work for you over a 62 mile distance? Have you ever ridden on the saddle that is coming with this new bike?

In a word, there's no simple answer.

A lot of it hinges on how well the bike fits you, how comfortable the saddle is for you, and how comfortable you are with riding and handling the bike. If all those factors are OK, then you probably could do the metric just fine on the new bike.
    Last edited by jobob; 04-29-2006 at 05:06 PM.

Jobob, I must say you have simplified my decision-making process, and I thank you! One read-through of your questions and comments confirmed my hunch that I had better ride my current upright hybrid. The most I've ridden is 40 miles, and I currently am comfortable with 20. You have helped me so much, and I thank you for your thoughtful response. I will now concentrate on getting the 'perfect' bike in time for a week-long ride in early August (CANDISC). I LOVE this board!