Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Harvey

Hybrid View

Alex found out a good friend has 4 ft of water in her house in Houston...most likely with more to come. Even though they are exhausted, and scared, she, her partner and their pets are safe, dry, and staying with a friend after a boat rescue. I can't imagine going through something like what so many are because of harvey.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

I can't even imagine it.... I made a donation to one of the general charity funds listed on CNN. This will take years. And being firmly convinced of the evidence for global climate change, I think we will continue to see more and more extreme weather events taking place.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

I agree, AZ.
    However, I am mostly angry that the representatives of Texas are the same ones who denied funding for the victims of Sandy. It was so obviously intended to show no compassion for the east coast. Massachusetts sent every team of water rescue people we have, as well as others. This is not an indictment of the victims, in any way, just a comment that senators and representatives felt the need to politicize a natural disaster that occurred where I live. That does not seem to be happening now. This is worse, but I suspect the people in NJ, who waited 2-5 years to get help rebuilding don't care.
    Last edited by Crankin; 08-29-2017 at 04:28 AM.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I agree, AZ.
    However, I am mostly angry that the representatives of Texas are the same ones who denied funding for the victims of Sandy. It was so obviously intended to show no compassion for the east coast. Massachusetts sent every team of water rescue people we have, as well as others. This is not an indictment of the victims, in any way, just a comment that senators and representatives felt the need to politicize a natural disaster that occurred where I live. That does not seem to be happening now. This is worse, but I suspect the people in NJ, who waited 2-5 years to get help rebuilding don't care.
    Couldn't agree more, Crankin. %*&$#@ Ted Cruz!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I agree with all the above comments about denial and about the issues with the Texas members of Congress. It's just sad for all those who are now homeless and for all the people who will suffer in the future as these extreme weather events happen more frequently.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Yes, when wil people see the connection between increased severe weather and climate change?
    Now, gas prices will go up. Maybe we'll see more people on bikes, as we did in 2008.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by azfiddle View Post
    It's just sad for all those who are now homeless and for all the people who will suffer in the future as these extreme weather events happen more frequently.
    agree....i do see blessings in the many acts of random kindness, caring and support in disasters like Harvey though. I’m a believer that kindness and caring begets kindness and caring….and acts of paying it forward are good for all.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    Couldn't agree more, Crankin. %*&$#@ Ted Cruz!
    Just made another small donation to Beto.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Speaking of hurricanes, Irma could affect my area. But I will evacuate if it comes to that. (And take a bike with me).
    thinking you went though that last year .....hoping you aren't affected this year and stay safe sheila

Such a bad storm season... and it's hard to know the best organization to which to donate! My heart goes out to all in Texas who are just starting to wrap their minds around what is needed for the first state of recovery, for the exhausted first responders who are heading to Florida, and for the destruction that Irma has already caused in the Caribbean.

Quote Originally Posted by azfiddle View Post
    And being firmly convinced of the evidence for global climate change, I think we will continue to see more and more extreme weather events taking place.
    I see a lot of the climate change denial structure as low empathy and high dominance with their seeing a threat to their current societal and profit structure....with others too easily believing their misinformation.

Concerning the devastation of Harvey I also find it interesting that two-thirds of the population of the Netherlands, including most residents of Amsterdam, Rotterdam and The Hague, live on flood-prone land, much of it below sea level…and they have spent the money and done the research to have an efficient flood prevention infrastructure that works well while the U.S. seems to care more about relief operations than well done and planned prevention infrastructure. Hopefully the continuing more invasive storms will make people more prone to join a constructive conversation about building the needed infrastructure and moving away from the causes of climate change.