Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

I FINALLY was able to manage a little 3 mile hike on a couple of trails that were actually boot dry! My neck and shoulder seems to get cranky right now at about 3 miles, so I stopped while I was still feeling well. Major bugs however, obviously this will be a year of bug spray and hats... I suspect I won't be able to hike for the rest of the year once the medical rodeo starts at the end of July - but I will get in as much as weather and body allows!

Glad you got a little hike in, Catrin! Better than I am managing...just starting back to walks, and those aren't very comfortable yet as my jaw bounces around more than it should, so I have to go slow and steady. I think bugs are gonna be bad everywhere this year!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

We have so many mosquitos outside our house... we back up to a small wetlands area and it is definitely worse than my previous home. Beautiful to look at, though!
    Emily, just being outside should make you feel better. The walking will come. Hope the healing is going well.
    Catrin, get in as much as you can before your surgery.
    I need to not hike until after my trip, as hiking requires a bit more aggressive stretching on my part, afterwards, than riding, to keep my back in shape. I'd love to go today, but...
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

What a shame about the MTB trails, Sheila. Mother Nature is a cruel force at times. Hope you can find another place to ride!
    Emily

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Thanks, Emily. The closest other than Hunting Island might be Parris Island, where I work. But they are very tame. More like beginner double-track.
    That sounds perfect to me! But I know it wouldn't work for anyone intermediate or above in skills...
    Emily

Thinking how cool to have a high tech, light, electric, foldable, comfortable, wheeled chair for easy moving through a city and buildings.

A miraculous and quick recovery coming your way pax…….well, hoping anyway.

also thinking confinement to a hotel room sounds yucky ....but then what's the outside humidity like in Chicago now?
    but then then room service ftw.....does the hotel have a spa and in room massages???????????????
    Last edited by rebeccaC; 06-27-2017 at 11:13 AM.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Day five of antibiotics and it's starting to look better.

Rebecca, a light wheelchair would have made the trip far better! Fortunately, ever since my poor knee replacement outcome, I carry a folding cane when we travel, that came in very handy.

Electra Townie 7D

Oh how the mighty have fallen...just had a 2.13 mile hike on a rather easy trail and am calling it GOOD! Kind of feel like Ms. HumptyDumpty getting put back together again - but thankful for this little respite between surgeries! Pity it took this to final persuade me to start listening to my body - but of course it's never been quite good at talking to me anyway.

I did notice that we didn't, apparently, have the initial change of leaf colors that usually happens in August. Normally things start a bit in August for a week, then stops for another month or so. Lovely to be outside though, just lovely!

I hiked, today, also. Was so busy with riding and a bit of work yesterday, I had stuff to do for part of today.
    We went to a new place, about 20 minutes west of here. A series of trails on conservation land, in the town of Bolton. There's a total of 6, almost 7 miles, but since the forecast was iffy in the afternoon, we also did "only" 2.5. I will add that the trailhead we started at is off of a road that has one of the more notorious climbs I've done locally, on my bike. I haven't climbed it in a few years, but I have descended it more recently, so I knew there would be some elevation in the woods.
    What a nice area! We followed a route that included the trail to the summit, but we had a combo of thick woods, a field of late summer wildflowers, and a swampy pond, with some very faint color in the maples around it.
    We agreed we will go back and do the longer hike, next time. My back/hamstring, and calves are screaming from a combo of my ride home from Philly last week, boot camp, step class, and a 30 mile ride. I'm on a HTFU binge, so ice and stretching has commenced big time.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport