There have been several times in my life where I have commuted during the winter, right through snow and sub-zero temperatures. The latest was over the course of three winters in Chicago, 2007 though 2010. Two of those years the bike was my only means of transportation as in, no car. That was just before the arrival of fat bikes on the bike seen or I would have had one, back then.

We now live in the north woods and my major winter activity has been cross country skiing, which I can do right out our back door. Still have my winter mountain bike which I used in Chicago, studded tires and all, but it's pretty much been ignored for the skis during the winter. Just couldn't see it competing with my skiing.

The fat bike craze has reached our area, though, so have been thinking about giving one a try for a couple of years. One of the reasons is that good cross country skiing is so dependent on snow conditions. Figured when the snow wasn't the best for skiing, I might be able to substitute the fat bike.

I was right. Picked up this Salsa Blackboro earlier this spring, still in time to try it in snow and mud and sand, too. It's a 2015 model, so we got a great price on it.

Shortly after we got the bike in late March, we had five inches of wet, sticky, slushy snow with an air temp hovering right around freezing. That's NOT a good snow for skiing, but had to try. Half a mile and I called it quits. Just not much fun and I could just about walk, faster. Traded the skis out for the Salsa. Well, it ate that snow for breakfast.

A couple of weeks, ago, I also learned that a fat bike is a lot more than just a bike to ride in the snow. On one of my bike routes, there is a half mile of road that is all sand, deep and soft. It'a tricky ride with my hardtail 26" wheeled mountain bike - lots and lots of fishtailing and if I'm not careful to avoid some deep pickup truck made ruts, I sink to a dead stop. Again, the Salsa just plowed though.

Also learned just how comfy this bike is to ride on our local mountain bike trail which is little more than single track over tree roots and rocks. Definitely an easier ride than with my standard hardtail Trek.

Now, a fat bike is not a road bike by any stretch of the imagination. I was surprised, though, to discover that the big bike rolls pretty nice on pavement. Once those big tires get moving, the bike builds up tremendous momentum. Over the same stretch of rolling, slightly hilly pavement, I actually discovered that the fat bike required less shifting than my standard 26" hardtail Trek!

Next winter, in addition to riding some groomed trails made just for fat bikes, I will be riding the Blackboro out on the lake ice, where there wind tends to keep the snow level lower than back in the woods. May even give some bike packing a try. Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.