Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Threaded View

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

Movie: Hidden Figures

Since today is the Women's March:

Since am up here in Canada, last weekend, for inspiration and curiosity, I saw the movie, Hidden Figures. I went solo ...I wanted to see the movie this much. My partner was in another city and others not locally available.

The movie offers different facets and is a great pkg for light geeky NASA/math/engineering world in 1960's, black women breaking into engineering leadership roles, broader realm of social justice during that time, love stories, etc.
    I'm glad this movie has packed enough movie theatres across North America in past few wks. I wonder if this movie would have done so spectacularily well, if it had been released without now recent history of an outgoing black Prez., and now a new sworn-in Prez who proceeds like a train wreck, etc.

Anyway, good to have a movie to remind ourselves of quietly fighting with dignity and of historic accomplishments, etc.

On a personal level, I noticed my half-Chinese niece's twitter feed expressed slight disappointment that her mechanical engineering hubby didn't want to see the movie. (She knows I went solo to see it. I live several thousand km. away from her.) She herself, graduated from university in geological engineering and did work in the field for a few years before she left. I'm not sure of all the reasons, but the mining sector is still very male dominant at the engineering level and she probably got propositioned several times in her career. All she tells me a few years: "It was horrible." She is the one who is now writing romance novels. I don't know if she regrets leaving the engineering world but her twitter feed consistently expresses support for feminist, racial understanding..
    Last edited by shootingstar; 01-21-2017 at 07:11 AM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.