Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: T'ai Chi Ch'uan

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Sounds wonderful, Catrin. Now you have my interest up.
    Here is a direct link to his Tai Chi for Arthritis series (there is a 35% discount until 12/31 for ALL DVDs, coupon code required but it's right there in the product description.) He has another site that focuses on related information, finding certified instructors, workshops (only 1 workshop per year in the US and Australia). Code only applies to actual DVD purchases, not the downloadable version. This is why I bought both Arthritis DVDs along with the intermediate 73 Sun Form DVD so I have something more challenging to move to once I've the first set of lessons down. Learning Tai Chi well, any style, isn't a fast process - which I like very much.

Amazon doesn't have the sales available through Dr Lam's TaiChi Productions site - and you can't even purchase his video lessons through Amazon, only the DVDs. How often is it more cost effective to NOT go through Amazon? I'm actually glad to see this as I prefer direct purchases if I can afford it whenever possible.
    Last edited by Catrin; 12-26-2016 at 04:48 PM.

So glad it is working out for you, Catrin. You've really been through a lot trying to find exercise styles that you can do with your various issues, and your persistence has paid off.

Enjoy!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    So glad it is working out for you, Catrin. You've really been through a lot trying to find exercise styles that you can do with your various issues, and your persistence has paid off.

Enjoy!
    Thanks Emily - and I hope that continues -there aren't many options left! There is also QiGong, similar but different. I will eventually add that to my practice, though Sun style does include some of that. One of the more interesting things about Sun Style is this. It's newish (created by a Tai Chi master in the early 20th century by taking elements from other styles - but that isn't the most interesting part. He was the first to defy tradition and teach Tai Chi to women - which was apparently almost unheard of at that time. I'm sure it happened prior to that but not as a matter of normal practice.

It's been going well....AND I realized today that it's been a few weeks since I've been dizzy from orthostatic blood pressure! It's been happening for years and...suddenly...soon after starting Tai Chi it's stopped. Perhaps a coincidence, perhaps not. I will take it either way!

Still enjoying TaiChi, usually 6 days out of 7. My body seems to really like it - though one movement tweaks my shoulder with the torn biceps tendon and rotator cuff tear (yeah yeah, I know, eventually it will need repairing but not yet). It's really only one move that does this and I'm figuring out how to modify it so I can do the movement without pain - I can't blame Tai Chi for that, after all the shoulder HAS been torn for some time. As they say, visualization serves an important role in this as well so I utilize that as well. I am very glad that I chose to learn Sun style, it really does seem to be the style best suited to start with when there are various physical...issues. It's known for having the most upright position out of the main styles, among other things.

So great to heat that you're enjoying the Tai Chi, and nothing wrong with modifying a movement to avoid pain. People do this in yoga all the time as well.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    So great to heat that you're enjoying the Tai Chi, and nothing wrong with modifying a movement to avoid pain. People do this in yoga all the time as well.
    It's actually close to a miracle that I am choosing to do this before I do further damage to the shoulder. MODIFY? MEEEEE????? Noooooooo

Right now I'm trying to figure out just what it is about the movement that pisses my biceps tendon off. I think it's either an angle I need to change as I turn 180 degrees with my feet while my arms are doing various things, or I should be further around in the turn before my right arm does something. I THINK I have it about worked out, taking the night off tonight to allow my shoulder to rest from last night and will put in a nice long practice session tomorrow.
    Last edited by Catrin; 03-18-2017 at 06:51 AM. Reason: Corrected mistake