Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Panty Line Chafing

Hi everyone

I am experiencing chafing in my upper leg area (crotch) and also under my butt cheeks. It's around the outside where my panty line is (I do not wear panties under my shorts). I have no sit bone pressure and no soft tissue pressure so very happy in those areas. I have tried Chamois Butt'r but it doesn't seem to help.

From my searches on this site I'm getting that I may require a T shaped seat instead of a pear shaped seat. I currently have 2 seats in my possession, a Specialized Lithia Gel and the Ruby Gel. Both are 155 and I was measured at 131. I am having the issue with both seats. Is it likely that I need a different shaped seat or could it be something else?

It could be that a 155 saddle is too wide. The 143mm width might work better with either saddle. It could also be that a different shape would be better -- I think someone here has found the Specialized Oura to be most comfortable.

Another thing to consider is the shorts. For example, if they are old, is the chamois wearing out? Or is it bunching up or causing chafing for another reason? Or are the shorts too big?

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    Another thing to consider is the shorts. For example, if they are old, is the chamois wearing out? Or is it bunching up or causing chafing for another reason? Or are the shorts too big?
    How can you tell if a chamois is wearing out? Shorts #1 might be too big but I think shorts #2 are ok. I do have a third pair which are a liner and they are definitely tighter than 1 and 2 Perhaps I will try shorts #3 next time out and see if there is a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by gingergirl View Post
    How can you tell if a chamois is wearing out? Shorts #1 might be too big but I think shorts #2 are ok. I do have a third pair which are a liner and they are definitely tighter than 1 and 2 Perhaps I will try shorts #3 next time out and see if there is a difference.
    Sometimes you can just tell by looking at the chamois that it's causing a problem -- I have a pair of shorts that recently started chafing, and when I looked at them I could see the fabric had started to bunch up on one side. I think it was heat-fused into place at that point rather than stitched the old fashioned way, and after too much movement and stretching of the fabric something gave way. But sometimes you just start to have problems with shorts that used to be fine and still look okay, because the padding has compressed.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Thanks ny biker

I have had this on rides over 25 miles since the beginning. I have tried every kind/shape of saddle and bike short to no avail. My chafing is just under the butt cheek in a fairly small area, so I finally just resorted to using either Nu-skin (liquid bandaid) or a heavy duty band aid to cover that spot. Not ideal, but it does the trick. Hope you have better luck in finding a saddle that doesn't chafe.

Grits

2010 Trek 5.2 Madone WSD, SI Diva Gel Flow
    2002 Terry Classic, Terry Liberator

I had a specialized Oura 168 that I bought in part because of the saddle that I got during a fitting (it seemed extra wide) and it did fine, except on extra long rides I'd get chafing where you are. I bought a Oura 155 and now its fine. So I agree with NY Biker, the 155 might be too wide. Then again, it could be shape too. The only way to tell is to try a different saddle. If you do try the Oura - keep in mind I think it takes a little getting used to. My lower back hurt for the first two or three rides, but then it was fine.