Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    I used to know a man who lived to play golf, and he did bring his golf clubs to the car dealer to make sure they fit in the trunk of the car he planned to buy.
    We have brought both dog crates (when we had to have a golden retriever sized crate) and bikes to the dealer with us. If they don't like it - oh well. It made for some funny conversations, but no one objected.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Wow...ok, lots of great advice here! I am a newbie so this is all great. Thank you.

I revisited my car loading technique and removing front tire, putting rear tire in first and moving seat forward are allowing me to get the bike in the backseat without lowering the seat. Progress!

I will need to adjust the seat a few more times though until I find the right setting. I have knee issues and if I don't get it high enough, my knees will let me know. Too high and my soft tissue lets me know. Once I get this figured out than I won't touch it anymore.

I did go back to lbs today (without my bike) and had one of the guys show me how to move my seat. The bike that he used to show me is the same as mine and when I tried it, the seat felt stuck, just like mine. These bikes don't have a normal seat collar with a bolt but have a wedge that sits in front of the post with a bolt in it. He loosened the bolt a few turns and then twisted the seat and it was loose enough to work with.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a torque wrench? Something with a small handle since it'll be parallel to the seat post and hand under the saddle when I use it.

Quote Originally Posted by gingergirl View Post
    Wow...ok, lots of great advice here! I am a newbie so this is all great. Thank you.

I revisited my car loading technique and removing front tire, putting rear tire in first and moving seat forward are allowing me to get the bike in the backseat without lowering the seat. Progress!

I will need to adjust the seat a few more times though until I find the right setting. I have knee issues and if I don't get it high enough, my knees will let me know. Too high and my soft tissue lets me know. Once I get this figured out than I won't touch it anymore.

I did go back to lbs today (without my bike) and had one of the guys show me how to move my seat. The bike that he used to show me is the same as mine and when I tried it, the seat felt stuck, just like mine. These bikes don't have a normal seat collar with a bolt but have a wedge that sits in front of the post with a bolt in it. He loosened the bolt a few turns and then twisted the seat and it was loose enough to work with.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a torque wrench? Something with a small handle since it'll be parallel to the seat post and hand under the saddle when I use it.
    Wow, my Ruby is a 2011 model so I have no knowledge of the new wedge-type seatpost binder. I did a search for info and mostly drew a blank. (Note: I did find a video describing one guy's nightmare experience when he removed his seatpost. The moral of his story: Never totally remove the seatpost from the frame.)

I couldn't find any torque specs for this type of binder on Specialized's web site. So my advice is (a) don't lower the seatpost in order to load the bike into your car, and (b) have the dealer do the loosening/tightening of the binder when you need the seat height adjusted.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean_TZ View Post
    I couldn't find any torque specs for this type of binder on Specialized's web site.
    I did find the value and will post in case anyone else is interested.
    If you google 2016 specialized ruby comp and click on the first link should bring up the bike (assuming your search results are the same as mine). Scroll down and on the left you see Manuals, Specialized owners manual, pg. 50 "Wedge Seat Collar" 6.2.

Thanks for all of the info Muirenn.

I live in a small town, PEI Canada. We have 2 bike shops but neither offer fitting so going elsewhere isn't really an option. I've had bicycles all of my life so I do know how to change gears, etc. I had speed bikes when I was a kid, a 5 and then a 10 (does that show my age??) but this is my first road bike.

The bike fitting article looks really good. I will give it a good read.

Thanks again. Lots to absorb here.

-

Hello Gentlemen,

I would like to know if the Basszone 100mm carbon handles sold on eb# are compatible with bigger drag stars, say Curado 300DSV with stock star, for example?