Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Commuted yesterday; my fastest commute since I moved. Not that I actually try to go faster on a commute...
    There's a couple of places on my commute that it seems like a truck dumped a bunch of gravel/pebbles in the shoulder. It looks like maybe from some kind of paving? I can go out in the lane, but, it's annoying. Hoping some rain washes it away.
    It's still cool enough in the AM, that I haven't had to use my bath cloths, just a quick face wash and fix my hair, but not have to use the flat iron. Another 10 degrees and/or humidity will change that. I must say, with a 3 mile commute, I don't dread it anymore, and while sometimes I feel it would be easier to just drive there, I am always glad I rode when I arrive at work in the AM.
    Got my Guru in shape for riding. I've been bringing my clothes in on Mondays and just riding with a little backpack for things on my Silque. Looking into getting a smaller pannier. Mine is huge and really affects my balance, as well as hurting my back, as I tend to pack it full! It's great for shopping, but I don't need something that big for my clothes.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

That's great, Crankin. When I had my 8 mile commute, I could always get home faster during rush hour on the bike, even in good weather. In bad weather, MUCH faster. Always waved at my fellow workers stuck in their cars, going nowhere, as I passed them.

I used a large messenger bag (goes over your back) for my clothes and it worked pretty well. You might also look at a frame bag. Those didn't hit the scene until after I was done commuting, but that might be a good option, too. I liked the messenger bag because I could take it with me, right into a store if I had errands to run. Leaving things in a pack on the bike while you go into a store was just not an option in my area.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 05-18-2016 at 08:05 AM.

I cannot do a messenger bag. Tried, and I am just too short, for the size I needed. My balance is weird with things like that, in that once I get used to riding on a specific bike a certain way, I don't do well with anything that changes the feel. I am going to make myself ride the Guru tomorrow, despite the fact I don't like the way it feels to get on the bike (like I have to really push myself up onto the saddle). I can't let a custom titanium bike sit. It feels like a dream once I am riding, but the geometry on my Silque is just so perfect, now the custom doesn't feel right.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Gotcha. Oh, yeah, it's amazing how we adapt to certain bikes or may it's the bikes adapting to us. Switching bikes, often, like I do, it's always a bit of a jolt going to the next one when I've been riding another one for awhile.

I added a frame bag to my fat bike and like it because it doesn't change the balance of the bike. That may be a good option for you, but you'll probably want to take your bike into a shop that carries frame bags to make sure you get one with the proper fit. Best of luck. Hope you find something.

I am not sure what you mean by a frame bag. I know panniers and trunk bags and front bags.
    Went on a little 14 mile ride late this afternoon with DH. Great weather, but the pollen is flying.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I see a lot more commuters out this year than last year during this national bike to work week…last year Bike to Work Day had a lot of people riding so it should be the same on Friday.

Had a conversation with friends last night over dinner about the many positive things about a city with a good bicycle culture. Our weather certainly helps!! When I first moved here CicLAvia had just started it’s Critical Mass rides here. Ellie used it as an example to my question during my job interview about the bike culture here. CicLAvia and Critical Mass are still strong here (we have the largest community rides in the U.S. now) and still opens LA streets every month to pedestrians and bicyclists, creating temporary linked public spaces for walking, biking, socializing and learning more about the cities neighborhoods. Just one of the many reasons I like this area’s bike culture and those working on the positivity of getting safer routes and creating larger areas to ride for all riders....weekend cyclists, families, messengers, those wanting exercise, novices, racers….and THIS week more bike commuters!....finding joy in urban riding....

....tour of california on nbc sports ftw
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Crankin, this is a frame bag on my Salsa fat bike. It fits in the frame triangle. This one is small, because the triangle this particular bike is quite a bit smaller than on a typical bike. Just big enough, though, for a few essentials like a tube, tools, cell phone and so on. You'll probably want something a bit bigger for your needs.

The custom made, model specific bags are mucho expensive, but this one is made by Bikase and is around $40. I got at a local shop, so check around if you think it might work for you. I'd probably take your bike in to make sure on the fit, though. Again, best of luck.

Rebecca, I lived in Portland, Or., for a time and I know what you are saying about a city that offers a positive bike culture. Not saying our little rural town isn't bike friendly, by any means, but I do miss the sense of community I had in Portland. I also enjoyed the bike culture in the Chicago area, but it was much more of mixed bag, what with so many aggressive, anti-bicycle Chicago drivers on the street. We tended to be part close-knit group, though, out of a sense of survival.

I don't think that would work on a 47 cm bike, with the size I need. I can get a smaller pannier for the commute.
    Like that fat tire bike, though!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I don't think that would work on a 47 cm bike, with the size I need. I can get a smaller pannier for the commute.
    Like that fat tire bike, though!
    yep frame bag and small bikes don't go together While I like the idea of frame bags, when commuting a pannier or front bag that is easy on and easy off gets my vote. Lone Peak has some that make sense (well for me anyway)
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

I was the sweep for a 30 mile ride today... not the usual crowd, only a guy and his wife, plus his adult daughter (20-25?) who is a new rider, but a fit runner. While they are AMC members, they are better known for being fast riders in the other club I belong to. Jack made it clear we wouldn't be racing, but the ride got really fast at one point, which was fine until we got 2 hills, one steep and one long-ish where I was climbing much faster than normal, which did me in. We stopped for a break shortly after that, and I said I was going to ride back to my car the shorter, flatter way, but they said no, they would tone it down. So, except for a part in the middle, it was fine. It's about 75 out, which is my limit for not feeling the effects of heat. We've had a few days of this temperature where I've ridden, but not enough for me to acclimate.
    DH and I are doing a hilly 40 miler tomorrow, but I won't worry about speed, just fun.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Hi y'all! :-)

I've been away from the forum for awhile, thanks to flaky, slow, and sometimes non-existent internet access in the campgrounds we've been staying in for the past month. We've been in national forests, mostly, so cell signals are often pretty weak. I have revived our blog lately, though, and documented a few recent rides, so if you are interested, it's here:

http://travelingtwosome.weebly.com.

We are currently in Arkansas and are looking forward to our first bike ride here tomorrow. There aren't a lot of roads where we are, but we're hoping that on a Sunday morning, traffic on the (small, single-lane) highways won't be too bad. Weather is supposed to be nice, so that's a plus!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Welcome back, Emily. It is always good to hear about your adventures.
    We did a 40 mile hilly ride, to Berlin, MA and back. All but the part in Berlin, where we stopped to eat was familiar, but the combination of roads was hilly right from the start. It was cloudy, a few spritzes of rain, but about 75. After lunch, we rode up a hill, by an orchard, that felt so rural, it was like i was in Vermont. Then, in about 2 miles, we were back on familiar roads, not far from the school I taught at. I really was feeling the pain from yesterday's ride, but, with the aid of Shot Blocks, I actually finished with a better average than I thought I would. I was suffering in parts, feeling great in others, and happy to get home. I rode a lot this week, in terms of mileage, so tomorrow, when the weather is iffy, I may actually take a rest day.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Hi all

I've been riding the Surly for over a week because they are still sorting out the ridiculous tapping noise on the Ruby. In the meantime, I've been trying out a Brooks saddle on it.... the jury is still out, but I've only gone for four rides (between 10 and 24 miles each)- total of about 70 miles.

So that included a commute ride, a moonlight ride at Saguaro NP and two shorter rides that finished at the grocery store. (Hey, as long as I have the panniers on, I might as well fill them up.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Ok so there is warmer weather in Massachusetts than in DC. Oy. And we're going to shoot from 50s/60s to above 80 in a few days. No chance to acclimate.

I had a nice bike ride last night after work. It was sunny and in the 70s during the day, and still in the low 70s-high 60s for most of the ride. And I was able to get by with just a blinking headlight for about half of it thanks to the later sunsets. It was uneventful, which was good. I rode just over 17 miles.

I was feeling optimistic on Friday while the sun was shining so I posted a club ride for tomorrow. At the time they were predicting a break in the rain tomorrow morning. But now it looks like possible rain all day and probably in the 50s all day. Honestly I'm not sure why I haven't cancelled the ride already. But I will wait until the morning, just in case it turns out that there's a good chance for a few dry hours. I need the exercise.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I also am looking at those temperatures with trepidation. It's a bad combination for me, with no gradual ramp up. It was cloudy yesterday, and even felt cool when we were in the shade. But Friday's ride was sunny and hot, at the same temperature. I always say that 23 years living in hot climates where you are always inside, in AC, did me in for heat acclimation.
    It was supposed to rain today, but it is mostly staying south of here. I need to rest, but a short walk/hike on the trail might be in order. A bit nervous about Thursday, when it is forecasted to be 85 and we lead a ride that starts at 6 PM. Obviously, the sun is going down by this time, but ugh! And, I hope Wednesday's group ride is in a shady spot, as I am planning to go.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura