Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Surfboard racks for bikes

To disable ads, please log-in.

Has anyone used one??

I'm considering this one, not for a surfboard but to carry my chair and umbrella to the beach,
    hoping it doesn't make the bike handle too badly:

http://www.amazon.com/Carver-Surfboa...A1XKK94ISE43TH

The traffic here in the summer is just gridlocked heading to the beach, I only live a mile from the sand but it can take 30-40 minutes in the car. My new knee isn't quite up to being a pack mule for the walk yet, so I though some accoutrements for the bike might help.

Electra Townie 7D

or what about a trailer - more versatile and the weight would be behind rather than on one side.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sky King View Post
    or what about a trailer - more versatile and the weight would be behind rather than on one side.
    I thought about it, but the foot traffic is pretty substantial until I get clear of the bridge so I wasn't sure if that would be an issue.

Anyone pulled a trailer in heavy pedestrian traffic?

Electra Townie 7D

I've pulled a trailer in sort of heavy pedestrian traffic - people tend to get out of the way of it. The downside is it makes the bike handle less predictably at low speeds (in my experience). I'd do it - and I think I'd prefer it to a rack. If we ever live near the coast again, I'd probably buy a kayak trailer for the bike. Parking is too much of a hassle.

What about getting a wagon to carry the load and walking? That way you don't have to pack-mule the load, but can still get a nice walk in? Are there places to lock bikes? That was an issue when I lived at the coast.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
    I've pulled a trailer in sort of heavy pedestrian traffic - people tend to get out of the way of it. The downside is it makes the bike handle less predictably at low speeds (in my experience). I'd do it - and I think I'd prefer it to a rack. If we ever live near the coast again, I'd probably buy a kayak trailer for the bike. Parking is too much of a hassle.

What about getting a wagon to carry the load and walking? That way you don't have to pack-mule the load, but can still get a nice walk in? Are there places to lock bikes? That was an issue when I lived at the coast.
    Since we're getting kayaks soon, I'll spend some time looking at those trailers, maybe they could do double duty.

We live at a driving beach (cars can go several miles up and down the sand), so a wagon would work (we considered it) but we have to go several miles up the sand to get away from the crowds, my knee isn't quite up for that distance yet.

Electra Townie 7D