So when I started the winter thread, I was running in shorts and confused by the weather. Now I am starting the spring thread, waiting for snow and confused by the weather!

I did the local trail race yesterday. The options were 5k, 10k, 20k. My original plan was to run the 20k as a lead up to North Face on May 1st. But the hamstring issue caused me to drop down to the 10k . I thought is was smarter since I am recovering well to not push it. The race is small townish, local. Many of my students were volunteering, so they were excited to see us there.

Our plan was to warm up for a few miles, run the 10k and then run a few more miles after as a cool down. Got through the warm up, felt great. Lined up, started the race, felt good. They ran us double track for about 1.5 miles and the we made the turn into 3 miles of hilly single track. On the way out on the double track I ran with a few ladies that I know and chatted a bit, and then when we hit the single track, I took off. I got bogged down behind a few folks that were tip toeing on bridges and try to skirt around mud. This is my local park, so I know every root and rock. So in the first 1/2 mile of single track, I passed 5 people and never looked back. Now I am not fast by any means, but I leaned yesterday that I am better than the average bear on trails, that is where I am comfortable.

Just about the time when we made our turn in, my stomach started to get wonky. I had kept my nutrition the same as every Saturday long run. The only thing I did differently was take all of my morning vitamins and pills ( on a partially empty stomach) when I got up. So the discomfort started to get pretty bad. Not nausea, but a feeling of pressure and heartburn. I was really not wanting to slow down and stop so I just pushed it back and kept running.

So I get done and make it across the finish line, manned by my students. They are collecting the finish times. They are asking me my age group and I look up at them, hold up a finger, and walk over behind a tree and throw up 4 times. Nice. I have NEVER thrown up after a race. Not sure what was going on. I felt better immediately, so I must have needed it. The only down side was that after throwing up and cooling down, I did not feel like going back out for more miles. I was a bit bummed about that. So I only got in a total of 8.5 miles.

So no worse for the wear today. Felt a bit sluggish yesterday post race, stomach was not wanting food, but it seems to have all passed.

Onward we trudge.