Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

cycling in oil economy downturn

To disable ads, please log-in.

I live in a city/province that is unfortunately dependent on oil and gas industries. Boy, cycling downtown over the past few months...is quiet. Car traffic is less. I've never lived anywhere before, where to the local economy so blatantly affected.

Every week there's news of layoffs, cutbacks from the firms. OUr province now has 50,000 unemployed people.

It would be interesting if some people will use cycling for exercise (to cope with unemployment angst) or to save some money. The statistics this year may tell a partial story later.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I think we're seeing the flip side of this in my area. Gas prices are extremely low, so there is little if any financial pressure for people to explore alternative means of travel. So - lots of people driving around in overly larger vehicles. Still the die hard bike folks, but those who are pushed into it by finances are back in their cars for now.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
    I think we're seeing the flip side of this in my area. Gas prices are extremely low, so there is little if any financial pressure for people to explore alternative means of travel. So - lots of people driving around in overly larger vehicles. Still the die hard bike folks, but those who are pushed into it by finances are back in their cars for now.
    Yep, we're noticing that there are VERY few people on public transportation here in the Orlando area right now. Since we don't actually live here, we don't know what the usual level of ridership is, but I would not be surprised if ridership is down, thanks to the very low gas prices. Glad for the lower prices but sorry about the side effects (unemployment, less bicycling, less use of public transportation)....
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    Yep, we're noticing that there are VERY few people on public transportation here in the Orlando area right now. Since we don't actually live here, we don't know what the usual level of ridership is, but I would not be surprised if ridership is down, thanks to the very low gas prices. Glad for the lower prices but sorry about the side effects (unemployment, less bicycling, less use of public transportation)....
    Interesting! But then, I don't notice car driving volumes the same way as car drivers since I don't drive.

There is some general statistics on what Albertans have spent their personal income. In the last 12 months, big ticket items have fallen whereas health and fitness items/services have increased. I think that's a good thing...look after yourself by becoming healthier in body and mind while looking for employment!
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Well, today I had to have my dishwasher serviced. My partner who was at home, told me that the service person told him he had no problems finding parking for his van downtown...just less people commuting and working downtown. Very different from 18 months ago. He was a little shocked himself to whizz up north over 18 km. away on major roads, buy a dishwasher pump and come back downtown in short time. This is in the middle of the business work day before lunch.

Well, great if people can get cheaper gas. Not sure, if one has mortgage payments, children and suddenly one is unemployed, if people will still conserve and save money for other things. A local auction place is jammed with big adult toys...jeeps, ATVs, etc. that people need to unload and get some money.

I attended a fun winter commuter cycling day celebration last week. Actually it was international. I briefly met 1 woman cyclist as she was having some free hot chocolate, she apologized for being at the event because she only had an appointment. I said to her: "Who cares? Just celebrate."

That's bit spooky. A lot less cars in downtown area. Cheap gas really doesn't amount to anything if you suddenly become unemployed without much savings. Sure it helps a bit but in a big picture of things, gas prices is least of their worries. Probably lot less driving so less need for gas.

Speaking of which, I just heard that bottom 40% of American household has negative assets meaning they owe more money than what they own and have. while top 0.1% owns more than half the wealth in USA.

Anyway, car ownership is wayy over rated. Might be just cheaper to rent a vehicle when you really need it. So it may cost you $100/day. But that's just one day out of how many days of being car free? While car ownership entails, payment if you are like most, probably $10 to $20 a day ($300/mo to $600/mo payment) Insurance at probably $4 or more per day ($1200/yr), to gas and maintenance and it all adds up. before you realize, you might be spending $25-$50 per day just to say you own a car. Renting for a day at $100 is much cheaper if you can be mostly car free.

We rent a car for 1-2 days ..annually. Probably spend under $100.00 annually on taxis. We seldom need to use transit because of where we live. I think for some people it's habit and convenience on going wherever and whenever you please without waiting around. Even if they don't live far from services and have relatively safe walking/cycling routes.

Given your estimate at cost of just car ownership $50.00 per day.....x30 yrs. = that's over $540,000 in today's dollars. Ok, lower that down because cost of goods /services cheaper 2 decades ago. I did an estimate of $300,000 using Canadian Automobile Association cost schedules a few years ago for past 30 years. But now, I've been car-free last 35 years..so let's use $300,000 still --in case I overestimated.

I got laid off my oil/gas related job a while back. I have more time to ride now.
    Specialized Ruby
    Gunnar Sport
    Salsa Vaya Ti
    Novara Randonee x2
    Motobecane Fantom CXX (Surly Crosscheck)
    Jamis Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by eofelis View Post
    I got laid off my oil/gas related job a while back. I have more time to ride now.
    I'm happy to see you back - but sorry for the circumstances. Any adventures to share?
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by eofelis View Post
    Hope you will find work, assuming that's what you still want at this time. Keep riding.
    I was unemployed last time for 18 months in a different province. I rode for 2 hrs. daily ...40 km. each day. Gave me some extra energy and motivation to continue job-search.

What type of riding do you do now?