Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Cape Cod?

Hybrid View

Cape Cod?

If all goes to plan I will be visiting Cape Code this summer. I've never been there before. Mostly likely it will not be a cycling trip, because I'm hoping to be there with my parents who are 80ish years old. Also I don't expect us to be spending time hanging out at any beaches, at least not for getting a tan or swimming. The reason behind the trip would be to visit a relative who has landed a most excellent internship with the collegiate baseball league there. He'll be based near the elbow in the Harwich area.

I'd appreciate any suggestions (especially budget-friendly ones) for where to stay, where to eat, sightseeing ideas. I already expect that Plymouth will be on our list. Easy hikes (flat and short) would be good. Railroad-related things (museum, steam train ride, model railroad layouts) would also be of interest, if there are any.

Thanks!

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I used to live on Cape Cod and *never* went to the beach in the summer! You should try at least one ride on the Cape Cod Rail Trail, although it'll probably be very busy in the summer. Check out the National Seashore. Lots of little hikes, and good history. Because the Pilgrims landed there first (before Plymouth), the Seashore has an interesting combination of natural history and people history (jump on the rail trail in Harwich and you can ride to the visitor center). I'd say there's more seafaring history than railroad history. The rail trail has informational kiosks every now and then, but I'm thinking you want it all in one place.

There is a scenic railroad leaving from Hyannis. I don't know much about it, though. I love visiting the Cape. I hope to go in May.

Do not even think about riding there, during the summer, unless you go out before 5:30 AM. Trust me on this.
    I spent every summer of my childhood/teen years at the Cape. Then, when I moved back here, every vacation with my kids. Now, I rarely go, except in the off season.
    Stick to the beach on the weekends, have a barbecue, and if you do go out for dinner, go to a place where you can make a reservation.
    I second the National Seashore. Also, the Audubon Sanctuary in Welfleet. Miles of flat, beautiful hiking, and if you time it right with the tides,you can walk pretty far. Last summer I hiked on the Pamet Area Trails in Truro. Go here, if you want a spectacular, harder/hilly hike to escape your family. It is rare for me to go to a place on the Cape I haven't been to before. Sandy, dune hiking, with a view to die for.
    Go to a beach on the bay side at least once, when the tide is low. It is amazing. I like Crooks Brook Beach in Eastham.
    Rt. 6A from Dennis to Brewster for antiques/art. There is a natural history museum on 6A in Brewster. The Brewster General Store.
    Stay off of Rt 28 as much as you can.
    Chatham Center/Main St. The Penny candy store near the rotary and the Fudge store. Seriously. You can have it shipped anywhere. Fun to people watch here.

Food: Bucca's for Italian food in Harwich. On Rt 28. No reservations. Go early/late, during the week. Sundae School. Yes, just what it says. There are a couple, but the one on Lower County Rd in Dennisport is the real deal experience. Don't eat before you go and order a blueberry Sundae, if it's in season.
    Go to Bonnats' (spelling) in Harwichport for breakfast. Portuguese rolls.... do not miss this one!
    Chequessett Chocolate in North Truro. The best hand made chocolate and coffee drinks I've ever had...
    Arnold's for seafood in Eastham
    Go to Provincetown. There is nothing else like it in the world.
    If you are going to have one "fancier" family dinner, I suggest The Red Pheasant in Dennis. In an old house, with charm. It's been there for 40 years and never fails.
    PM me for more.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Thank you very much, ladies, for your suggestions. The plan of the trip seems to be morphing, as some family members want to spend time visiting Boston, including a Red Sox game at Fenway as well as the historic sites there. There's also interest in a possible visit to Lexington and Concord. They're thinking that we can find a hotel that is centrally located, though I fear we will end up having to drive a long time/sit in lots of traffic every day to get back and forth between the hotel and the Cape or Boston. I need to look at a map.

Digression: I'm looking into the National Seashore. I saw this on the National Park Service website:

"The word "cranberry" originated as a contraction of crane berry, a name given to the plant by early settlers because the flower resembles the head of a crane."

I'm not seeing it. Unless they were thinking of the color. Nonetheless I will thrill my family with this bit of trivia when we get there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cranbe...cos_120604.jpg
    Last edited by ny biker; 02-29-2016 at 02:52 PM.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Ha, ha. I laugh because, well my new street is a cranberry ...
    If you decide to do Lexington and Concord I can lead you on a tour... seriously, let me know. And, there are ways to avoid the traffic, by planning your driving times thoughtfully.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I thought I responded to this earlier, because I remember agreeing with Crooks Brook Beach. My friend lives right near there. Last year we managed a sunset at low tide. I never realized the tide went out so far!

I'll leave the practical advice to Crankin. Living there, I hardly went out to dinner. And during the summer, when I wasn't working, I didn't go out much, just visited with friends.

I was hoping to visit in May, and coincidently, I was going to stop in the Concord area on my way home. Not sure if it's going to happen this year. I hope you can work out a great trip!