I didn't want to limit this thread to hiking as I know I'm not the only one getting out there in the winter on non-cycling activities.

Today I hiked three miles with a couple of friends, and for the very first time since my knee surgery 5 months ago it felt great! It was a pretty flat trail - very close to answering my "no personality" description, but my point is it's the first time in 5 months that it actually FELT that way. I didn't slow my friends down due to my moving at a snail pace (cause I wasn't).

I wasn't sure about my clothing choice since it's been VERY warm since October and the high today was 32. Thankful for keeping all of my old cycling thermal clothing so I had my PI Amfib tights under my jeans, two wool layers underneath my REI jacket, and my PI skull cap below my stocking cap, and hiking sock liners underneath my medium weight Smartwool hiking socks. It may sound like I was overdressed for only 32 degrees, but I am one of those who freezes all winter. The only thing that was too much was my gloves, I took my two-layer semi-lobster type gloves and my hands were almost hot. Considering they get cold in the SUMMER I don't think it a bad choice. I would prefer my hands be a bit too warm than too cold. I was quite comfortable and the only thing that really got cold was my throat.

All in all it was a great hike, and a milestone for me since my surgery. Knee felt fine, it's finally time to start heading to more challenging trails. Now...if I could just drive in my hiking boots, I am NOT looking forward to changing from shoes to boots at the trail-head, but there is no way I can drive in my beloved hiking boots.