Thanks for the advice everyone! Yes, there are clinics often put on by local groups, although none scheduled right now -- I'm not sure if they will continue through the winter or not. I'm also scared of them

I do have my husband as a resource, he started mountain biking two years ago (although he would probably still call himself a beginner). He gave me some tips out there. I'm just already feeling frustrated by the steep beginner learning curve but I definitely need to give it more time!! I guess what I really want are drills I can do NOT in the woods to increase my confidence in the woods, but perhaps the best thing to do is to just get out there as much as I can.

Luckily we bought my mountain bike used and got a great deal on it so I can probably sell it for the same amount if after a few months I decide mountain biking isn't for me. BUT we are going to Big Bend this spring and I would LOVE to do a half day of mountain biking out there. The terrain of course will be very very different than the woods around here! I think some of the routes are really just gravel grinding, but I'm still using that as a motivator to improve my skills. And my hope is that overall I will be safer on the road too if I improve my skills in the woods.