I've started doing a HARD 20 mile group ride on Thursday evenings. The group is really beyond my level, so I'm going at 95-100% max effort for the whole hour plus ride just trying to not get dropped (and getting dropped anyway). For a solid two minutes during the ride last night I couldn't remember where I bought my bike....that I got less than a month ago. And just went back into for a fit last week. So, definitely max effort!!

This is a pretty different type of riding for me, as before this year I was a long+slow type of rider. I have no idea how to recover from this type of effort. I do have chocolate milk as soon as I get home, and a reasonably protein-heavy light dinner/heavy snack. I telework on Fridays, so I sleep in - last night I slept from 10p until 7a - and then drink lots of coffee when I wake up, but I am just physically and mentally WORN OUT. My legs are aching and my brain is on vacation. It is affecting my work performance!

Any suggestions on how to recover from hard efforts, so I don't get fired and have to sell my bikes?