Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

Loading up at farmers' markets & cycling

From late June to end of Oct., I just can't help myself!! All that gorgeous fresh, local whole food at the farmers' markets during this time. So I do my weekend longer fitness/rec. rides. Then towards end of ride, I drop by our favourite farmers' market(s) and load up the veggies, fruits, herbs..

Sometimes my bike load is dangerously heavy and tipped.
    I don't garden, so buying all this stuff is fun and tasty for me.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

We do the same...well, rather, we take "off" Saturdays except for a short utility ride to the Farmer's Market. We bought lovely things today -- lettuces, cherry tomatoes, nectarines, green beans, peppers, zucchini, onions. Then on the way back from that, we stop in at Grocery Outlet for some other items. We take our Bike Fridays with panniers and racks to haul the goodies back in. Fun!

Attachment 17279
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

How do you get the big, fragile tomatoes home? I bought about 8 pounds of them (yes, we eat a lot of tomato) and, because I knew I would do that, I drove. These are the big ~2 pound each tomatoes - they have to be very gently handled. Any thoughts? I have standard panniers (ortlieb) at my disposal....
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

take hard sided containers that will fit flat in your panniers - tupperwear or some such and only put one layer in any one container?
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    take hard sided containers that will fit flat in your panniers - tupperwear or some such and only put one layer in any one container?
    That's a good idea - I will try it. Might (seriously) put some cushioning in there (dish towels or something). I was joking that they need their own suspension system to my DH. Lovely produce - but sometimes a pita to transport.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Blueberry ~~ Bubble wrap! We used it extensively when we lived in Belize as we had only bicycles for transportation and rode on various bumpy unpaved roads, sandy paths, and cobblestones. With ripe tomatoes, wrap each one individually. You can wrap a towel, cloth bag, or larger piece of bubble wrap around the whole group of them, but individually wrap 'em for sure. You wouldn't believe all the stuff we have managed to get home safely with bubble wrap. Yes, there is the occasional "oopsie", but it's rare.

Good luck!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Love to bike to our farmers market. We have a nice one on the waterfront here. Just going and walking around the market is a joy, all the colors and food vendors and flowers..,biking there is the icing on the cake! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405909255.827052.jpg 
Views:	493 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	17281

Love the bubble wrap idea too. Have to try to remember that one.
    "Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far"