Quote Originally Posted by allabouteva
So Lise,

How come you went from 26 miles to a metric century? Were you confident? Or nervous?

Yesterday, one week after my 50kms organised ride, I did 44kms just casually with DH, and then backed it up with a 19km MTB ride in the afternoon, so I know I've got stamina to do more. But 100km dunno!
Mainly, I was ignorant. I had no idea what that distance meant. I had been training for an Olympic distance tri, and then was going to train for the marathon after the tri was done. I just wanted to get in one good, long bike ride first. It was an American Cancer Society fundraiser. You had the option of doing 10 mi, 25 mi, or the metric century, which was really 66 miles. I asked a friend to do it with me. I think I was just so proud of myself for doing the tri, and signing up for the marathon, that I thought I was, as they say, "all that". My friend's a guy, and has a really nice bike, but hadn't been riding much that summer. We were both dying by mile 50. But part of the route was a beautiful ride through rolling country side, and just today we were talking about doing part of that ride again this summer. I will, however, make sure to gradually increase the distance this time!

It's a case of DAIS, NAID (do as I say, not as I do)! Take care, L.