Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Hiking

Hybrid View

Very nice, Catrin! I love environments like that -- so long as they aren't too buggy.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Sounds like a lovely walk Crankin - and good to hear you had something other than your full hikers with you. Your beach walk sounds fun as well.

We were 87 on Sunday, but will be in the high 60s until next Sunday - a bit cool for this time of the year. I'm not complaining. As I'm taking off work on Friday I'm hoping there isn't much rain so I can do some solo hiking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pictures from hikes at Mt. Baldy and Claremont. First 2 are Claremont; I tried to show the steepness of this fire road. Pics 3 and 4 are from the Ice House trail at Mt. Baldy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0087.jpeg 
Views:	57 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	18202   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0092.jpeg 
Views:	48 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	18201   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0068.jpeg 
Views:	51 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	18200   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0060.jpeg 
Views:	52 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	18199  
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Looks lovely Crankin! Beautiful and you get some cardiovascular benefits as well

Ordered new hiking poles, got some better quality, lighter ones, with angled grips. Really looking forward to giving them a go... and my wife will try my old ones and see if she likes trekking with them, can't wait to get out there again.

Catrin, if you're mobile next summer, maybe we'll come over so I can hobble some of your trails... wanna play trial guide??

Electra Townie 7D

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    Ordered new hiking poles, got some better quality, lighter ones, with angled grips. Really looking forward to giving them a go... and my wife will try my old ones and see if she likes trekking with them, can't wait to get out there again.

Catrin, if you're mobile next summer, maybe we'll come over so I can hobble some of your trails... wanna play trial guide??
    I would love to do that, let's plan on it!

Deal!

Electra Townie 7D

Today was a bit of a post-knee-surgery milestone. Back in the spring I chose a hiking goal of 150 miles for the year. I just pulled it out of the air and hoped it wasn't too much as my knee was still recovering from the surgery. Initially I wasn't going to count pavement walking as that isn't 'hiking' to me but it's been so wet all summer that there were a couple of times that I had as much as a 4-week break between trail hikes as things were just too wet. So, as of today, I've actually hiked/trekked/walked 183 miles and the year isn't over yet!

It's been quite the journey. The knee is as good as it is going to be and I will take that. That knee is still shot, but I'm a long way off from being a replacement candidate and as long as I have my boots, sticks, and avoid most technical trails I can go all-day long. I don't do too badly for a broken down old woman :-)

Now I just need to work out how to continue hiking in winter - assuming it's a relatively dry one. Thankfully I still have my PI Amfib tights and can work the rest out. Hiking in cold temps is much easier for me than riding in 28 degrees...

I saw my doc for another reason today and mentioned the cramps. He examined me and doesn't think it mineral related. Either my blood flow to my legs, especially the left, is a problem (which would be bad), or I've a structural problem that is the root cause - and he knows what that is.

Hopefully the latter, getting a simple test to rule out the former. If it is the latter as I hope, I will need new boots as they are forcing my legs to work too hard in an unnatural way that's causing the cramps. My only concern would be to find something that make both feet and legs happy.

Why, for once in my life, can't it be simple?
    Last edited by Catrin; 10-17-2016 at 07:24 AM.

Praying it is the reason that is easily fixed. When will you know?

Oh, the weather forecast has changed for Acadia. Now, we will not only have a rainy drive up there, but also, a rainy hike on Saturday.
    Great, descending slippery rocks!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Praying it is the reason that is easily fixed. When will you know?

Oh, the weather forecast has changed for Acadia. Now, we will not only have a rainy drive up there, but also, a rainy hike on Saturday.
    Great, descending slippery rocks!
    Yes, hopefully it's the exertional compartment syndrome rather than other things. Hopefully the simple ankle blood pressure test will be negative and I will just have the expensive task of finding new hiking boots. The test will, hopefully, be next week.

Slippery rucks, ugh. Hope you have fun anyway!

I may be resistant to quick shoulder or foot surgery, but anything circulatory or cardiac related is a different ballgame entirely. The cramping has recently increased, which is why I mentioned it today at my appt.

Pax, I LOVE my $200 Solomons... same model is even more spendy this year. Hopefully we won't find out that my legs need the opposite of what my feet need to be happy. I won't buy anything before we learn more but, if push comes to shove, perhaps a higher ankle version of my Keene hiking shoes will work

How did the hike go Emily?

So they did the ankle test yesterday - while a simple test it must be done in a hospital setting. I think it will be fine
    I guess the test can tell a lot about peripheral vascular health and as I turn 57 this weekend it probably wasn't a bad idea. Hopefully I will pass the test.

Saw my chiropractor today and he says that whatever else is, or isn't going on, that shin splints are obvious. He said that shin splints can certainly cause the type of cramps I had.

I'm considering finding another doctor. I like him, but the surprising thing for a DO, he seems to always start with the more complicated, serious causes and solutions. He is certainly the first DO I've had as a PCP like that. I do prefer having a DO over an MD, and I'm going to start looking for another one.

I would agree, Catrin. Praying that you have a good result.
    So excited that we leave tomorrow for our trip! I don't even care anymore about the rain, aka, slippery rocks. I will handle it. Will post pictures.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I would agree, Catrin. Praying that you have a good result.
    So excited that we leave tomorrow for our trip! I don't even care anymore about the rain, aka, slippery rocks. I will handle it. Will post pictures.
    Looking forward to the pictures! What a glorious time of the year for being out in the woods, wet rocks or not? I want to go hiking this weekend, but should allow my leg to heal before I go out as I can't trust myself to keep it short on dirt - perhaps some pavement walking. It was worth it all however!
    Last edited by Catrin; 10-20-2016 at 03:17 PM.