Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Please Help Me Choose My New Multi-Purpose Bike

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hello!

I'm shopping for a new bike and feeling a little like Goldilocks, none of the bikes I'm looking at seem to be the perfect fit!

First a little riding background on me. For the last ten years I've been riding a Trek 5200, which is a OCLV road bike. I used to do a lot of charity rides and the training rides that went with them. Now, I mostly ride in the city - from home to the grocery store, around town, etc. I work from home, so I'm not really a commuter. Additionally, I'm considering some multi-day rides this year.

My Trek was stolen, so I've got a decent amount of money for a new bike. I'd like to stay in the $2700 or below range.

Here's my dream:
    • A bike with a sweet fit.
    • Carbon 1st choice, steel second. Maybe someone can convince me that aluminum doesn't ride like aluminum anymore, but I'm really staying away from it?
    • Disc break for the city.
    • Drop bars
    • Thinnish tire.
    • I think that a cyclocross bike might be my best option, but darn if there aren't very many small enough for a 5'3" gal.
    • I don't want crazy colors. Black, gray, white and maybe a hint of color, but nothing crazy. I'm going to have this bike a long time
    • Good components that will last.

The contenders, but none I'm happy enough to pull the trigger on quite yet:
    • Another trek road bike. I know I'll like it, but I want slightly bigger tires for for hike/bike trail type riding and the ability to put a rear rack on it for my groceries.
    • The Fairdale Weekender Drop - people are raving about it, but I keep wondering if I'll be happy with steel over carbon.
    • I've seen the Liv on the website but I don't know if I can get the insurance company to go up to the price of it.

Thoughts? Anything I'm missing or something I need to look at?

Looking forward to hear what you guys have to say,

Lynn

Welcome to TE!

I'd look at steel cyclocross-type or relaxed road frames if you can find one that would fit. It doesn't have to be heavy. Not many carbon frames (I think that's starting to change, but slowly) have the ability to take a rack if you want to get groceries, and the ride quality of aluminum... They'd give you the tires choice you want. Do you need a WSD frame? The Surly Pacer, Straggler (I think, it's their disc-compatible cross bike), and the Cross-check come to mind, but sizing with Surly can be tricky. Jamis' Satellite line may have some good options (more road frame, though). Specialized has one (Tricross), and I think Trek may have come out with one in the last couple years. There's also the Charge Plug line (go for the 4 or higher), if you can find it. (I have the Filter, that eventually became part of the Plug line, and I love it, and I think the newer version comes with a better fork. It's unisex sizing, so it runs big (I ride a small), but a friend of mine also has it in XS and she's about your height.) If you're willing to look at aluminum, there's the women's Giant Invite (I think that's what it is), but it might be more than your budget. Nice bike, though.

ETA: I think there's a thread in the Cyclocross section about bikes for shorter women. Take a look over there too!
    Last edited by Owlie; 01-06-2015 at 05:09 PM.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I'm 5'4" (well, 5' 3.75")and I just got a Felt F85X in November. I swapped the stem and got a handlebar with a shorter reach and now it fits great. I got a 51 and it comes smaller than that, so there are cyclocross bikes out there in the smaller size.

Other bikes I considered were the Trek Crossrip; Fuji Cross and Tread; Diamondback Haanjo comp; GT Grade; Raleigh RXW; Specialized Diverge; and Liv Invite. My budget was much smaller than yours though so I was looking at lower end bikes compared to what you're seeking.

A lot of people recommended Surly when I was asking for recommendations.

That Fairdale looks great!
    Last edited by Bones8; 01-06-2015 at 05:15 PM.
    2007 Trek 7.2 FX
    2015 Felt F85X with Specialized Oura seat, Specialized Road Pro II handlebars, and Look Quartz pedals

I'm 5' 4" and have a 51cm Jamis Quest--it comes in a 48 too. Though it doesn't have disc brakes, it's a nice smooth-riding steel frame with carbon fork. You can put a rack and/or fenders on it. It's fun as a road bike, and I now have it fitted out with a rack and fenders to be my utility/commuter bike, which is working out really well too. It has clearance for some wider tires if you want to go that direction sometimes--overall a very versatile bike. Mine is a 2010, and they've changed the line up a bit now--it looks like the equivalent would be a Quest Elite. They also make it in a women's line--I haven't looked into what all the differences are, as the men's fit me just fine.
    1980-something Colnago
    2010 Jamis Quest
    2013 Wabi Classic

mebikedolomitesoneday.wordpress.com

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    +1 on checking out Bianchi and Redline...the Bianchi Volpe has everything you are looking for except the disc brakes, and there is a Redline bike (Metro Classic, IIRC) that may also work for you if it fits. Also +1 on Surly (check out the Straggler and Disc Trucker) and the Jamis Quest/Satellite. The Salsa Vaya might be just right for what you're looking for as well. If you're looking to be able to put a rack on and do multi-day trips, I think you'd be better off with steel than carbon. Good luck and enjoy test riding!
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Thanks for all of the recommendations. Some of these are bikes I've considered but not had the chance to test ride because the model/size hasn't been in the stores here, others I've never even looked at.

This weekend we have a cyclocross event in Austin. I'm pretty excited to go see some of the pros in action!

I'll report back when I land on something.

Lynn

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    I have a CAADX (Cannondale), and I have to say, the aluminum frameset is supurb. Not all aluminum is equal, just like not all steel and carbon are equal. I just checked the geometry, and it looks like they have smaller sizes than in the past. I would upgrade to a carbon stem, but I'd do that for any bike that has a carbon fork, (which this does).

The head tube is high and relaxed, which makes the reach quite short. The smallest has an effective top tube of 51.5. And, there is a carbon version available,, but it has a lower head tube so is more agressive. I don't personally think carbon is necessary for the type of riding you'll be doing. The aluminum frameset 'sings' a bit. Like steel and is very comfortable. But feels lighter. I have actually riden this bike in the surf at the ocean, then cleaned it immediately with no ill effects. Zero rust problems on the frameset, fittings and screws when it gets wet. Worth looking into. (I also have an old 853 quality steel Le Monde, and a carbon Pinarello. I am not less comfortable on the aluminum frameset, though the cx tires may make it more cush, no idea).
    One thing to consider, though, is frame size. Smaller aluminum frames can have a harsher ride than the same bike in a larger size. However, OP, if you the smallest size would fit you, try it. Cannondale's aluminum is excellent. (I've ridden a CAAD10, with skinny road tires, and found it to be almost as comfortable as carbon.) However, it does depend on your road surfaces. This ride was on relatively smooth asphalt. Chipseal might be another matter entirely.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Since you're 5'3", the number one issue will probably be size and fit. There are definitely carbon road bikes with disc brakes out there in your price range (or a little more), but they may not be available in your size. Finding the bikes in stock to test ride may also be a challenge. What size was your Trek 5200 (top tube length, seat tube length, standover height, etc.)? Don't go by the manufacturer's frame size since that varies widely.

Here's a list of carbon road bikes with disc brakes that might fit you:
    - Specialized Ruby Disc (smallest size 44 has 509 mm eff. top tube)
    - Cannondale Synapse Carbon SRAM Rival Disc (smallest size 46 has 508 mm eff. top tube)
    - Volagi Liscio 2 (smallest size 47 has 505 mm eff. top tube)

Here's a list of carbon road bikes with disc brakes that are probably too big:
    - Trek Domane 4.0 Disc (smallest size 50 has 519 mm eff. top tube)
    - Giant/Liv Avail Advanced (smallest size 43 has 515 mm eff. top tube)

If you've been riding a carbon bike, a steel bike will definitely not be as responsive. I have a Colnago carbon bike, and two Bianchi steel bikes. They're all a lot of fun to ride, but the carbon bike is much zippier and climbs much more effectively, especially on hilly rides. There are also lighter steel "race" bikes vs heavier steel touring bikes. My Bianchi Eros Donna and Vigorelli are on the lighter, racier side, and they're a lot of fun to ride on longer rides (100 km+) with just a seatbag. The steel Bianchi Vigorelli 105 is available in a 46 (510 mm top tube), but it doesn't have disc brakes.

Keep in mind that lighter steel bikes are not as stable with a load (e.g. 5 lbs. of folders, books, etc. on a rear rack). I definitely wouldn't be comfortable riding my steel bikes carrying 10+ lbs. of groceries or heavier loads for touring. The Surly Disk Trucker and Straggler both have disc brakes, but these are much heavier bikes and will feel really sluggish compared to lighter steel bikes and especially compared to carbon bikes. I had a 2008 Bianchi Volpe that I hated riding since it felt like a tank compared to my lighter steel bike, and the Tiagra components did not shift as smoothly as the 105 groupset on my other bike. The Volpe is now available in a size 46 with disc brakes, but it has Tiagra components.

What kind of multi-day rides are you considering? If you want to do loaded touring, then the Surly Disc Trucker or Straggler may be a good choice. In your price range, you may even be able to get a custom steel frame with Shimano Ultegra components and better wheels. If your multi-day rides are more credit-card touring with just a seat bag, then you may want to consider getting two bikes, a carbon disc bike for your longer rides and a used hybrid (e.g. Jamis Coda, Kona Dew, etc.) or high-end 1990s cromoly mountain bike (e.g. Trek 990/970/950, Giant ATX 780/770/760, etc.) for your short in-town errands and grocery runs. You can usually find barely used small hybrid bikes and steel mountain bikes for about $150-300 on craigslist.

Don't rule aluminum out completely. Some of the higher end aluminum bikes, such as the Cannondale Synapse, are noted for having a very nice ride quality. If you want disc brakes you may be pretty much limited to steel or aluminum. It's also possible to get aluminum with a carbon fork, which goes a long way to smoothing out road shock. Then too, if you can put slightly wider tires on it (say, 28c instead of 25c), that also helps with cracked and broken pavement.
    http://www.cannondale.com/can_en/201...n-s-disc-5-105
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-ca/...1/20446/79986/
    If money is no object, there's always titanium:
    https://www.lynskeyperformance.com/s...ance-bike.html
    Queen of the sea beasts