Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hot Buttered Rum

To disable ads, please log-in.

I just have one question. Why has it taken me 55 years on this planet to discover this? Any other hot rum drinks I should know about?

Mmmmmm. Hot buttered rum. Did you make it yourself? Need to get ingredients for that to have ready for Christmas.
    "Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far"

Love hot buttered rum!
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Recipe, please!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Very easy - it was a cold night last night so decided to try a recipe I found:

Place in bottom of mug or Irish Coffee glass:

1 pat butter (I used unsalted Kerrygold - and what IS a pat? I just put a sliver in the cup)
    1 tsp Maple Syrup (recipe called for brown sugar, but I only keep grade A Maple Syrup in the house, no other sugar)
    Dash of Cinnamon (recipe also suggested nutmeg or allspice)
    Vanilla extract (recipe didn't suggest how much, I just put in a dash)

Pour in 2 ounces dark rum (I used 3-star Barbancourt)
    Hot water (I used boiling)

Apparently there isn't a standard shot glass size, couldn't figure out how many ounces my shot glass holds so I used two shots. I've not had this drink before but it was VERY good. It didn't seem too strong and a nice balance of flavor. Very simple, very good. I think a cinnamon stick might be a nice garnish. If this winter is anything like LAST winter, I see this as a nice winter drink. Will try 1 shot next time in a smaller cup and allspice. The cinnamon was nice, though I didn't really taste it, everything blended together well.

It also was a good accompaniment to a "Once Upon a Time" marathon and making my special very low sugar dark chocolate bark as part of contribution to Thanksgiving dinner today. I think it forced me to eat more of the bark than I would have otherwise though
    Last edited by Catrin; 11-27-2014 at 05:43 AM.

I see this in my future as a winter complement to Mojitos!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Wow, that sounds tasty! Have to give it a try when get our first big snowfall.

Electra Townie 7D

Mojitos? I will have to see what this is. I've found that I also enjoy just pouring a shot of rum over a couple ice cubes and allowing them to half melt, or in decaf coffee. This is the first liquor I've found that I actually like. I've enjoyed brandy in tea, but not any other way.

I do still enjoy a good stout, but I've found that beer interferes with my sleep for some unknown reason. Just one beer (which is all I would drink, my body is sensitive to alcohol), is enough to do it, so I've stopped drinking beer for now. Port does the same thing but to far less degree, especially if I drink it before 6pm, rum doesn't appear to cause insomnia for me at all
    Last edited by Catrin; 11-27-2014 at 06:31 AM.

Mojitos are a little labor intensive to make. You need mint, club soda, lime juice, as well as rum. And a muddler, a little special tool to mash the mint. Perfect summer drink, though.
    We started making them about 7-8 years ago, when Bacardi was a sponsor of the Tour. They had an ad where everyone was dancing around, to a very catchy tune. It got us to buy the rum! Once, when we were having mojitos in a restaurant in the Berkshires, during the Tour, we got up and started dancing on the outdoor patio. We weren't really drunk, just happy from riding all day, eating, watching the Tour.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Mojitos are wonderful, but on a hot day I like caipirinhas even more. It has to be a hot day so that the ice melts a bit, otherwise I get quite drunk ;-) You really need crushed ice, though. We never have any, and end up smashing ice cubes in a towel with a hammer, which is sort of entertaining for everyone around but messy and labor intensive and gives you lots of sharp ice shards in your drink.

I once had a really good hot chocolate drink with some kind of spirits in it, I wonder what it was.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Since I no longer work the 2-10pm shift, I have my evenings free. One thing I want to do this winter is experiment with wine and spirits (I was never much of a drinker, and know nothing). It was 25 degrees and snowing this morning, and at 8am, I had a wonderful woman come by to look at my bike for sale. (She bought it!!) I'm still cold. I think I want to try hot buttered rum. Now. Thank you.

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    I once had a really good hot chocolate drink with some kind of spirits in it, I wonder what it was.
    I wonder if it was something like Bailey's? Or maybe creme de menthe? I've had both of those (not at the same time of course) in hot chocolate and both are really good. That hot buttered rum sounds good, may have to try it this winter.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Quote Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
    I wonder if it was something like Bailey's? Or maybe creme de menthe? I've had both of those (not at the same time of course) in hot chocolate and both are really good. That hot buttered rum sounds good, may have to try it this winter.
    I bet creme de menthe would be awesome in hot chocolate, and suspect dark rum would be as well. I've tried Bailey's a couple times and found it too sweet for me.

Yum, that hot buttered rum sounds good. Wish I had some rum in the house, but I guess I can fix that.

Quote Originally Posted by IBrakeforPastry View Post
    Since I no longer work the 2-10pm shift, I have my evenings free. One thing I want to do this winter is experiment with wine and spirits (I was never much of a drinker, and know nothing). It was 25 degrees and snowing this morning, and at 8am, I had a wonderful woman come by to look at my bike for sale. (She bought it!!) I'm still cold. I think I want to try hot buttered rum. Now. Thank you.
    How did you like it? I've been told to make certain you get dark rum (not clear), as it is aged and goes better with hot drinks. I really like the 3-star (aged 4 years) Barbancourt, though was also told Appletons is also really good. I want to try the 5-start Barbancourt next (aged 7 years I think). I don't know much about wine and spirits either, but it is fun to experiment with the hot drinks in cold weather :-) What struck me about the hot buttered rum was that it was quite warming and very smooth. The rum didn't have the bite that it did in my coffee and tea experiments - though I may have either put too much - OR I needed to add just a touch of sweetening. The Grade A maple syrup seemed to go very well that I used to replace the brown sugar my recipe called for.

Roo4 - yes you can fix that
    Last edited by Catrin; 11-28-2014 at 01:05 PM.