Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

My body is falling apart! argh!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Do you ever get the feeling that you will never be able to regain what you once had!!!! I do. But I know it will get ok and I'll be back on track. At least to some point.

Just about a year ago I had my right knee swelled so much (I had an ACL surgery about 10 years ago on it) it was like twice it's size (due to cartilage wear and tear and overused the knee). I kept going to work - which was so painfull, do PT like crazy, etc. In December 2013, since I felt better, I had the brilliant idea to register for a 135km ride challenge in June 2014. Approved by my therapist but with a very serious training program. I managed to get back on track and able to get to that event!

Now I am back to square 1 for the past month or so. Right knee started to swell, hurt, etc (MRI, etc were taken last spring and it is the same issue hunting me). So going back into PT, no more running, no more nothing but PT exercises and on crutches for a while. Of course it has improved very much but I still cannot walk a long time but at least I can cycle (on trainer at home - but no heavy pedaling) with no pain whatsoever! But it is light training for the most part. Thinking Saturday night that I was back on track. H**l no!!!!

I got up Sunday morning with cramps in the left knee /leg (the other leg that was ok and never bothering me). But I was still able to do a "small" FTP test at home and send results to my PT/Kine so we can build a program when I got to see her last night. I never imagined it would go from light "bugging me" to swelling and feeling the kneecap "floating" around.

Well that leg got worse by Monday night. My hamstring was so hard and bigger it was like a rock and oh so painful. I could feel a pull in it as well with every step. I could barely walk on that leg but I could do moves like bending and touching my hands on the floor! Go figure!. ARggggg. So happy I had an appointment with her for that night.

She worked on the leg, realigned my pevis/hip area again, told me that some of this is a result of using that leg more (more weight on it) to "protect" my other injured knee. Okkkkkk. So anyway, at some point she did a move and ouch... I felt a twiched in that muscle. Then some relief. ahhhh felt good. BUT she asked me to turn on my back and as I was doing this, that hamstring came back with that ouch pain. She loosened the muscle again and pain was gone.

Then she started to question me as she could not put the trigger on why I got that pain (cramps just as I was moving a bit) so easily when all my "body parts" are fine but had an idea in her mind. She nailed it partially that I do not drink enough, especially for someone as active as me. That type of cramp is caused very often by being dehydrated. My husband keeps telling me that I should drink way more than what I intake! She's asked me what I had for drinks in the past 2 days (when the cramps started) and it totally makes sense. Yesterday was super busy for me at work as I was in a meeting from 8am-1pm. All I took was 1/2 cup of latte coffee, and 1/2 glass of water (a small glass too - so probably drank 4-6 ounces max). Then for lunch just a chicken salad and nothing for drink. I only had another 1/2 cup of water around 3:45pm. Then I went to my PT appointment. I don't think of drinking because I am not thirsty.

She did a taping to help the swelling behind the knee. It will compress the "fluid" and it will help me walk better. Also need to take really warm/to hot bath to help relax that big muscle. And to top it off, for the next few days, I need to rehydrate myself and learn to drink more. So I have to prepare a mix of orange juice, water, salt and drink a few a day, plus regular water and other liquids.

I just hope that drinking more and keep doing the things she is recommending will help me to get back into real fun training instead of just PT. hihi

If I still feel uncomfy Friday, I can go back see her and she'll work on this some more. I get to see her anyway in another week (the Thursday night). Tonight I have a massage scheduled and she told me to tell my massage therapist to work on my lower back and that leg to loosen it up some.

I remember my ex-boss who's into compet sports (his other "job") that after 50 it's all downhill. Boy was he right. hahahaaha For those in your 20s...appreciate it. hihi Because as we get older, I find it harder to push myself and recup time is much longer. hihi I don't care getting old. In fact I prefer being in my 50s now than how I felt in my 20s. But bodywise... I miss that "youth". haha It seems it is one injury after another. All can be treated/healed so far, but to so much effort and $. Luckily I have good work group insurance that covers for all those PT and massage therapies. I'd be in the red I think without it. hahahaah

At least leg feels better this morning. Hamstring is softer but still needs to "de-cramp" some more. I could walk to get to work (bus/walking) without feeling the kneecap giving out. So on the right track. I hope. And drank 2 glasses (still small but better than nothing) of water and a coffee. Going for that orange juice combo soon.

I just hope that next Thursday, when I see her, it will be to plan my winter training program. Not just some boring PT. hihi

I feel for you Helene. I'm already past the point of ever being what I once was, but am coping okay with it. But that non-stop pain sure does sap the life out of us, doesn't it?

Electra Townie 7D

It's not as easy to be active as you get older but I know a bunch of people who are in their 60s and 70s who cycle almost every day, do long rides and are still quite fast. It is possible, but you have take care and address problems when they happen. Sometimes health problems will force changes or slow you down somewhat, but being over 50 does not have to mean that you can't stay active and do the things you enjoy.

I haven't read them, but there are several publications available on roadbikerider.com about cycling for older people. You might find them interesting.

Re; drinking, I have a water bottle or other drink with me pretty much all the time. I have a water bottle in the cup holder whenever I'm driving anywhere, have a drink (soda, tea, water) at my desk all day at work (getting up to refill/get a new drink is a great excuse to move around so I'm not sitting still for too long), and I always have a glass of water or something on the table next to me when I'm watching TV etc. at home. Having it handy makes it much easier to make sure I'm drinking enough. Lately I've been drinking more tea at work because the flavor is more interesting than plain water, and they have some interesting flavors available in our office kitchen. I just bought some for home, too, including some caffeine-free herbal teas.

Some foods are good sources of water, too, including some types of produce (watermelon, cucumbers) and soups. A piece of fruit might not be the same as drinking a glass of water, but every little bit helps when you're dehydrated.

Good luck with the knee!!

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I agree, there are so many fast and strong men in my club who are 60-75, it's scary. Some have had orthopedic issues and come back, a few have had other medical things, and they recover, too. Others look like crap, but they still ride. Some of the women are still doing well, but a lot of them have slowed more than I have. I do need more recovery and everything hurts when I wake up, but more stretching, occasional bouts of PT help. I don't ignore stuff, but sometimes it's hard even for me, who is quite diligent, to do all of the stretching I should be doing. My goal is to keep riding. I am slower, but not really. What I mean is that I have chosen to not go as hard, but I can if I need to. I find I get sick, almost a reaction to the stress I am putting on my body, if I ride too hard, too much. This has something to do with my undiagnosed weird medical issues I've had for years; it's getting a bit worse, but if I take care of myself and get the rest I need, it is not as bad. I usually do one hard ride a week in the peak season, a couple of moderate to hard ones, and a slow one. I am debating about "training"more for next season, but that always seems to bite me in rear.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Oh, Crankin, I feel your pain! I had to give up Tai Chi after arthroscopic knee surgery - I mean, for heaven's sake, who can't do Tai Chi??? Couldn't do it. I'm thankful every day that the left knee allows me to ride - and I don't ride hard or long.

Yes, to some degree we do start falling apart in our 50's and it's difficult - physically, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually, to maintain the active lifestyle we need. And yet we need it, on all levels, far more than we did in our 30's. It also becomes so much more important to listen to our bodies and to treat them with gentle love when they need it. I don't know you well and I don't know what else you do for fitness, but was wondering if swimming, yoga, pilates, or even just stretch classes at the gym might prove helpful for you? Some type of gentle movement with the stretching you mentioned? I'm so glad you're drinking more as well - that can make such a difference.

Best wishes with your knee and your riding!
    Livin the life!
    2014 Trek Domane 4.7

Right now I cannot do much. Ended up with xray and ultrasound doppler yesterday of left leg. Long story short (typing on tablet in bed is no fun) we were all afraid I may have had phlebitis on calf. It was a swollen and oh so painful. But my PT and walk-in doctor I saw did not think so from tests done but cannot see through skin. So within a few hours all was done and I am stuck with a ruptured baker's cyst. The doctor doing the ultrasound showed everything live to me. Liquid from knee went down my leg. To tell you how much it hurts since Monday morning I cannot describe. Nothing much to do for now but the RICE technique. I still had to get to work today, too much to do. You would have cut my leg it would not have hurt as much. Now I am home and resting, leg up.

Anyway, it will get better one of these days. For now knee does not hurt but knee to ankle is double size of other leg. I have to use again crutches. She had fixed my right knee but the left leg compensated so much and this is the result for me. Xray showed nothing I did not know...arthritis/wear of cartilage.

PT told me that in order for fluid to go away, to move that leg as much as possible, gently. I can do mini squats, try riding bike on trainer this weekend, use roller to massage the leg, some aqua therapy. Anything easy to help the leg. Right now I am drained from work day and just want to sleep. When she told me about cycling you should have heard my reply. Lol poor her. I can barely tolerate my own self and you are telling me to get on bike? Hihi

so this weekend is forced relaxing. Leg up, ice, Aleve pills, light moves to get all I can for leg flow circulation and get that nasty extra fluid out of leg. I want my normal leg back. Arggg

My mental must be good. At dinner was talking with hubby how much fun it would be to get fatbikes and cyclo bikes for gravel trails and how we should head to colorado next summer to cycle. Lol if only it was not so full of hills.
    Last edited by Helene2013; 11-28-2014 at 02:49 PM.

Well, ouch. I hope the swelling goes down and you're feeling better soon.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Owie! Take care and hope you are feeling better soon!

Rest up, Helene. Think of it as training to be able to do what you want to do in the future.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Ow Helene. Heal fast.

Kinesio tape in a fan pattern is used a lot to help fluid drain. There are videos online to show how to cut and apply it. I honestly haven't read any of the research, and I've only seen it used on swelling from contusions and sprains, not from ruptured cysts, but it's worth a try!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Oh wow, Helene! Never really thought about a Bakers cyst being able to rupture, (as I quickly grab mine and feel the edges) that sounds awful!! Hope you get some relief asap

Electra Townie 7D

I hope it heals soon. It is the worst pain I ever felt. Even alc tear reconstruct was nothing compared to this. My doc is back Monday afternoon. You can bet I will give her a call and ask for good pain killers. Bring on the morphine. Hihi Aleve may help but so far does nothing for pain. Slept will leg elevated, if you can say sleep, but the fluid moved from calf to knee and lower thigh. icing is not easy as you have to cover 3/4 of leg and I am not equiped like my PT clinic.

I wish I knew which 2 pills I could combine to numb pain and get synovial liquid to resorb. Will try squats and light bike trainer today. Wonder if you can ice just before and right after exercising.

If PT was working this w/e I could have asked her about making me a taping and talk about compression socks.

Today was just like the rest of previous days. In fact, yesterday was better - no cramps. But this morning I had major cramps in the hamstring and a few times this afternoon. Had to do some grocery shopping so I can have lunches for work. I don't want to end up having to buy breakfast/lunches on crutches in the foodcourt. Too much of a hassle.

But not all is negative. I was able to do 4km on my trainer bike this afternoon. After testing leg and a good warm up, I was able to stay on the small gear (4th) and a cadence around 65-70 with speed to max of 16km/h. Not bad and beside the warm up (first 2-3 minutes) I felt no stretch or pain to the leg. The first turns of the wheels I was not too sure. But did good. I was able to do my squats. 0 pain. But the stretch of the calf (injured leg) is almost a big no no. I can stand 10 seconds max and not even a full stretch. PT told me to target 30 seconds, and if I can't, well just shortened them up and do them progressively. Unbelievable you can cycle...but not walk! Deuh!

Pain can be unbeareable at times. Enough to make you cry. My doctor will be back in the office tomorrow afternoon and she will see the lab report the walk-in clinic received. I will ask her for some pain pills. Aleve just does not cut it for this.

Wow! I had no idea that a Baker's Cyst could do that (the things I will hopefully learn in med school). I have one as well - clean knees other than some patellar-femoral pain - my doc has been completely unconcerned about it. I have been doing hip exercises like crazy to try to keep the knee running well - but it honestly hadn't occurred to me it could rupture. It has been annoying me for almost a year. *sigh*

I hope you get some better answers from your doctor, as well as some relief from the pain!
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Wow. When DH had a Baker's cyst several years ago, the doctor made noises like he'd drain it if it didn't resolve reasonably quickly. IIRC it resorbed within a couple of months. Healing thoughts to everyone dealing with these!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler