I don't know if anyone out there works in software development, but I thought I'd toss this question out just in case.

The project I've been working on (for almost 15 years now) has used the waterfall development process -- release cycles lasting for months, starting with written functional requirements documents, then a period of reviewing requirements and doing technical design, then a period devoted to actual development (writing code), then a period devoted to testing, then it all gets released to the live environment. Recently we transitioned to an agile development framework, with minimal written requirements and two-week sprint cycles encompassing development and testing.

My biggest issue with agile is that we are all supposed to be generalists now -- everyone is expected to be a developer (with knowledge of all the programming languages used on the project, not just one or two) and also expected to be a tester and a subject matter expert. I do not want this. I changed careers, took a significant pay cut and have turned down promotions in order to be a developer -- to write code for a living. This is what I enjoy. If I wanted to be a tester (or anything else), I would have already taken steps to do that.

I'm being told that all software development is done with agile now, so if I am not happy with it, I should look for a new career. I'm wondering if that's true.

If it is true, I need to figure out what else I should be doing. I like the logic of writing code -- if A is true, do this, else if B is true, do that, else do the other thing, end if. I don't know if I can find something else with the same type of thinking, and have no idea where to look to find out what my options are.

I appreciate any input that anyone out there might have, in terms of your own experience in this industry.

Thanks!!